K-1, 3-12
Raleigh, NC
Students enrolled: 1,000

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We always welcome feedback from our parents if they are experiencing issues with staff or have any concerns. Please feel free to contact me to address your concerns. Thank you.
November 13, 2013

Posted July 06, 2015
This school has changed so much over the years. In the past, it was top notch and worth every dollar you paid. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case in any way. The entire school is run by a ineffective administration who wants to hear nothing from parents unless it is what they are doing right. The morale among the teachers is so low and the tools they have to inspire are lacking what is needed to motivate students today. The school allows a few "power families" to run things while the "regular families" are ignored in their thoughts, participation and involvement. The school administration says the right things, but allows all the wrong things to go on. The bullying at this school is out of control and all the "power parents" feel that their kids are ENTITLED versus other kids. The thought of this being a Catholic school is confusing considering the actions that go on there everyday from sex education, bullying and ways the kids who are not from the "power families" are treated. It is really sad as this was at one time probably one of the best options in the area, but today it is a shell of it's once proud tradition.

Posted May 28, 2015
Please consider sending you child ELSEWHERE. We have had our children enrolled at TFS for close to 10 years and are RELIEVED to have our last child finally graduate TFS. There is a strong cultural of bullying among the children, some teachers are known to humiliate and belittle the students, the administration is unresponsive to parents and the teacher morale is low. The principal is often heard telling the Middle School students that they are "bad and do not deserve" special awards. The academic programs are antiquated with limited technology advances in higher grades. Most parents pay close to half of the cost of tuition on outside tutoring to supplement what is not taught in the classroom. The administration provides a smoke screen of "Anti-Bullying Campaign" and Technology 1:1 and "Tea times with the Principal", but when delved into beyond this paper trail, the negative culture and poor academic teachings in the school are evident. Parents seeking the assistance from the Administration will hear "You are the only parent to raise this concern" or "No One has raised this issue with us before." while this is completely untrue or their favorite "It is an HR issue and cannot be discussed." The younger grades provide a more positive learning environment and there are a number of stellar, caring teachers, especially in the 8th grade. TFS USED to be an academically strong and encouraging school and we did love it way back then but now the negatives quickly outshine the positives. A change in the administration is one clear way to bring positive change to the school. Please save your money and protect your child's well being and look else where. My expectation is there will be a flurry of positive remarks to over shadow this negative comment, but believe me, after investing over $6,000/year/child on tuition, I would have preferred to leave a positive review rather than a negative one!

Posted July 02, 2014
I've been a parent in this school community for over 10 years with more than one child. The whole community of the school promotes a very caring attitude. The school is not immune to all of the "Kid" stuff that happens with children these ages but I know that the teachers/staff are committed to making a safe and wonderful learning environment for the children. Every day starts with prayer and it allows everyone to center their priorities. They teach acceptance and understanding in their social justice "theme" in the school. The facilities are wonderful, with many technological advances used. Tuition is slightly higher than some Catholic schools in the area but it seems to be "in line" with the modern/advanced private schools as well. The tuition can be seen in the facilities and technology in the school. Overall, our family has been quite happy here and would highly recommend the school.

Posted April 30, 2014
I have 2 kids at this AWESOME school, one with Learning Disabilities and one without. The staff is excellent with both types of learners, they truly teach to the whole child, provide an excellent faith based education and challenge with appropriate academic rigor. We are THRILLED to call TFS our family. The parents are very involved and welcoming. TFS really makes learning fun for ALL types of kids. Previous negative posts are simply not true! We have been at TFS for 3 wonderful years. Take a tour, you will see for yourself! :)

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted November 13, 2013

The Franciscan School 2

Posted November 08, 2013
I have to agree with the previous post. My child attended this school for 2 years. He was happy, but there was definitely a disconnect between parents and administration. I questioned whether the "stagnant" atmosphere would be good for my child in the long run. He is in public school now, and I'm amazed by the difference in atmosphere.

The Franciscan School 2

Posted November 04, 2013
My child has been at this school since K. I have always felt like it was a good fit for him because of the smaller enviroment and the message they provided. Unfortunately I can't say the same for myself. I feel it is boardline toxic for the adults. I find the administration staff to be weak, unhelpful and generally unpleasant. I have ofter left the school questioning if was truly a healthy place to send my child. I have decided I will not continue to send my child here and his siblings as well.

Posted August 01, 2013
Enriching curriculum, and the focus on church/prayer and the teachings of St Francis have added so much to our children's lives! The previous poster is incorrect concerning the authentically Catholic comment . We have had only great things to say about the beliefs, teachers, and education at TFS. We are proud of what are children are learning, and becoming, because of the teachings at this school. You can't go wrong!!

Posted May 04, 2013
This school is not authentically Catholic. They are more protestant than Catholic. They are good at teaching basics of education. But, their faith development is not very strong. Teachers openly advocate for abortion and other issues that are not definitely Catholic. Parents who are truly Catholic will find this is more Methodist than Catholic.

Posted March 03, 2013
Great school. Great community. Middle school is kind and academically strong. We enjoy the multi -age activities that the school offers.

The Franciscan School
10000 Saint Francis Dr, Raleigh, NC  27617
Last modified The Franciscan School is a Private school that serves grades K-1, 3-12
The Franciscan School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top