K-1, 3-12|Private
1,000 students
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We always welcome feedback from our parents if they are experiencing issues with staff or have any concerns. Please feel free to contact me to address your concerns. Thank you.
November 13, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly agree

Clear expections for behavior known to all children and parents, A strong focus on social justice throughout whole year and in all grades. Teaching by example, thought/discussion followed by action

Our children have attended this school for over five years. This is a true community whose administration, staff, and teachers all have the same goal-to educate the whole child for the real world in a loving and respectful learning environment,

Average only because of the lower grades because most teachers are good. A few bad ones, a few show way too much favoritism. Middle grades would get a bad or terrible. I never noticed the bullying although a lot of what they call bullying is just the kids of the right families getting their feelings hurt. The other kids are always at fault when it relates to those families. If they complain about something first, you're screwed. You will NEVER convince the administration that you're right. Mrs. Bigelow is great but the middle school administration does not want to hear complaints or suggestions and will always take the side of the teacher no matter what. The teachers talk too harsh to the kids. The younger ones are so arrogant and feel like they can do whatever they want and the older ones should have retired 5 years ago. If one of the right parents complains, they can get their kid made captain of some team, can get discipline changed, can get grades raised, can get extensions of due dates. No one cares about the kid who did their homework and turned it in on time. But let Little Johnny not be able to finish because his family was off skiing for a week and he'll get special privileges. If you notice in the comments, the tone changed about 3 years ago and I can see that. Too many parents involved, too much favoritism. Too many things scheduled that do not allow working parents to participate in. Who can go to "tea with the principal" at 10am? I wish the administration and parish would listen to ALL the parents and not let certain families dictate what they do. All of our money spends the same.

This school has changed so much over the years. In the past, it was top notch and worth every dollar you paid. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case in any way. The entire school is run by a ineffective administration who wants to hear nothing from parents unless it is what they are doing right. The morale among the teachers is so low and the tools they have to inspire are lacking what is needed to motivate students today. The school allows a few "power families" to run things while the "regular families" are ignored in their thoughts, participation and involvement. The school administration says the right things, but allows all the wrong things to go on. The bullying at this school is out of control and all the "power parents" feel that their kids are ENTITLED versus other kids. The thought of this being a Catholic school is confusing considering the actions that go on there everyday from sex education, bullying and ways the kids who are not from the "power families" are treated. It is really sad as this was at one time probably one of the best options in the area, but today it is a shell of it's once proud tradition.

Please consider sending you child ELSEWHERE. We have had our children enrolled at TFS for close to 10 years and are RELIEVED to have our last child finally graduate TFS. There is a strong cultural of bullying among the children, some teachers are known to humiliate and belittle the students, the administration is unresponsive to parents and the teacher morale is low. The principal is often heard telling the Middle School students that they are "bad and do not deserve" special awards. The academic programs are antiquated with limited technology advances in higher grades. Most parents pay close to half of the cost of tuition on outside tutoring to supplement what is not taught in the classroom. The administration provides a smoke screen of "Anti-Bullying Campaign" and Technology 1:1 and "Tea times with the Principal", but when delved into beyond this paper trail, the negative culture and poor academic teachings in the school are evident. Parents seeking the assistance from the Administration will hear "You are the only parent to raise this concern" or "No One has raised this issue with us before." while this is completely untrue or their favorite "It is an HR issue and cannot be discussed." The younger grades provide a more positive learning environment and there are a number of stellar, caring teachers, especially in the 8th grade. TFS USED to be an academically strong and encouraging school and we did love it way back then but now the negatives quickly outshine the positives. A change in the administration is one clear way to bring positive change to the school. Please save your money and protect your child's well being and look else where. My expectation is there will be a flurry of positive remarks to over shadow this negative comment, but believe me, after investing over $6,000/year/child on tuition, I would have preferred to leave a positive review rather than a negative one!

I've been a parent in this school community for over 10 years with more than one child. The whole community of the school promotes a very caring attitude. The school is not immune to all of the "Kid" stuff that happens with children these ages but I know that the teachers/staff are committed to making a safe and wonderful learning environment for the children. Every day starts with prayer and it allows everyone to center their priorities. They teach acceptance and understanding in their social justice "theme" in the school. The facilities are wonderful, with many technological advances used. Tuition is slightly higher than some Catholic schools in the area but it seems to be "in line" with the modern/advanced private schools as well. The tuition can be seen in the facilities and technology in the school. Overall, our family has been quite happy here and would highly recommend the school.

I have 2 kids at this AWESOME school, one with Learning Disabilities and one without. The staff is excellent with both types of learners, they truly teach to the whole child, provide an excellent faith based education and challenge with appropriate academic rigor. We are THRILLED to call TFS our family. The parents are very involved and welcoming. TFS really makes learning fun for ALL types of kids. Previous negative posts are simply not true! We have been at TFS for 3 wonderful years. Take a tour, you will see for yourself! :)

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted November 13, 2013

I have to agree with the previous post. My child attended this school for 2 years. He was happy, but there was definitely a disconnect between parents and administration. I questioned whether the "stagnant" atmosphere would be good for my child in the long run. He is in public school now, and I'm amazed by the difference in atmosphere.

My child has been at this school since K. I have always felt like it was a good fit for him because of the smaller enviroment and the message they provided. Unfortunately I can't say the same for myself. I feel it is boardline toxic for the adults. I find the administration staff to be weak, unhelpful and generally unpleasant. I have ofter left the school questioning if was truly a healthy place to send my child. I have decided I will not continue to send my child here and his siblings as well.

Last modified The Franciscan School is a Private school that serves grades K-1, 3-12