K-12|Private
1,430 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

I am a graduate of the school, having attended from elementary school through graduation. I am also a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a graduate of the University of North Carolina School of Law. A lot of what you may read in the comments is well-founded. Firstly, there is little doubt the school possesses state-of-the-art facilities. The classroom space, athletic space, and fine art space are all well above average. The school takes pains to keep everything current and up to date. With regard to academics, my opinion was the school operated solidly above average. During my time there, we interacted with kids from nearby public high schools like Millbrook, Wakefield, and Broughton. It seemed that NRCA students, on average, had a slight upper hand as compared to students in the WCPSS. There were standout teachers in every department who were genuine talents in their field. I can recall a teacher in almost every department with a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree. I felt reasonably prepared for what I encountered at Carolina in terms of academic rigor. Regarding fine arts, the school places a high premium on this department. A lot of money and time is invested into ensuring the department succeeds. I participated in department productions and can assure that there are few, if any, comparable high school fine arts programs. Regarding athletics, I participated in NRCA sports from 6th-12th grade, and was a three-year varsity letterwinner. Athletics was not given the same focus as fine arts. The school was not of the same mindset as other private schools that were willing to go further to claim victory on the athletic field. Which way this cuts will depend on whom you ask. There are those that will say the school should put more into athletics, and there are those that will say the actual W's are not what matters and the focus should be on spiritual development. All a matter of perspective. Where the school did not prepare me was socially and interactively. I was not prepared to interact and socially succeed when I arrived in Chapel Hill. I spent the first two years catching up to my peers on campus and in my Greek organization. I agree with some of the below comments regarding the sometimes hollow nature of the spiritual life and development fostered by the school.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Can't see everything but they do deal with the issue.

Supports LD students: Agree

NRCA makes it clear it is a college-preparatory institution up front but works well with students to bring them up to speed.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The proof is in the pudding. From facilities, to staff, to academics, to athletics, to fine arts, everything about NRCA speaks to strong leadership.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Without question, character-based education is at the forefront of what they do. It is a safe and caring environment.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

While not all teachers are perfect we have found that the majority of the teachers are effective. NRCA seems to be very purposeful in their program.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Homework is reasonable and for the most part with purpose.

Being a parent and now a grandparent of NRCA students, my heart has been touched and blessed by our experience at NRCA. Our own daughter had an incredible experience academically and in the fine arts. Her giftedness in academics and the arts were cultivated by the academic rigor where she took many AP classes. Her engagement in the choral and dramatic arts provided outlets to encourage and broaden the lady she has become and the wife and mom she now is. She was well-prepared for college and shared on more than one occasion how she was well-prepared for her experience at UNC-Chapel Hill. Now, as a grandparent, I recently attended NRCA's Grandparents Academy where 600-700 were in attendance. Obviously, we are not the only ones as grandparents who think NRCA is an awesome place for their grandchildren. Our grandchildren are thriving in this loving environment where there is great academics, technology, arts, and athletics. I saw recently that the two valedictorians for this year's senior class are going to the Air Force Academy and NC State University. One won the prestigious Park Scholarship for NC State. They shared that hundreds apply for this scholarship. They also posted that like 17 had been accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill and like 35 to NC State University. I remember last year, the State of the School publication shared that four years in a row, seniors have received more than $4,000,000 in college scholarships, SAT and ACT scores were many points above the national average, and that 100% of their students go to colleges and universities. We will continue to support NRCA with our time and dollars because we want our grandchildren to have the best. Thanks to the staff and coaches of NRCA for the commitment to excellence we see every day in our daughter and our grandchildren.

My children attended this school for 4 years. We thought that our kids were learning above level education. My children finished with straight A's. However, when we moved to another state, we decided to put our children in public schools because the schools are ranked an A. We thought our children would be ready and be above level with the education here. Well, my daughter was placed in Advanced Math and Language Arts class. She struggled for the first month because the math the school here was all new to her. The children in her class were telling her, that they learned this math last year. On top of this we found out my son's reading comprehension is a grade below level from the schools here. I was in complete shock when I heard this. I thought the amount money we were paying yearly, and were told that NRCA education is above public school. This was a wake up call. I am so glad that our children are now it a real A school.

We have just completed 10 years at NRCA with our youngest graduating last week. First, let me suggest there is no perfect school. We have loved our 10 years associated with NRCA but there were things that happened over the years that we did not agree with. Some were too insignificant to worry about and others led to us meeting with the teacher or administrator. These particular discussions were productive and left us satisfied. HOMEWORK - you will never reach agreement with parents on how much homework is best. The perception is NRCA gives a little more homework than public schools. The expectations are higher with private schools and NRCA students are above the average of the local public schools and the State of NC at all levels. Is there a correlation? I don't know but I do know that graduates will all tell you that the academic rigor at NRCA has prepared them well for college. RULES - yep...there are rules and if you don't like rules, this is not the school for you. If hair length, short skirts and sloppy clothes are important, action will be taken...usually after a warning. The complaining parents below never take any responsibility for their child's actions. In 18 years of school between my 2 boys, neither one ever received a pink slip. CHRISTIAN SCHOOL - it is suggested below that the school is not a Christian school. The faculty consists of current and former pastors. The kids of pastors from many of the local churches can be found in every grade in the school. My wife and I have found that our kids are stronger Christians as a result of NRCA because they are surrounded by so many other strong Christians. It is so exciting to be eating at the local Wendy's and see a table of NRCA kids lower their head's in prayer before they eat. North Raleigh Christian Academy is a school were kids with many different interests can thrive. The athletic department competes in most every competitive sport, the fine arts program is the best in the area and the academic program prepares kids to get accepted and thrive in college. The price also makes it a great value. And, the one topic that all parents agree with...the facilities are second to none. The school and its administrators are not perfect but they will always listen and are constantly looking to improve. This is something my wife and I have always appreciated.

Last modified North Raleigh Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12