Posted July 08, 2014
Administration is spectacularly inept. Mind-bogglingly so.... Very discriminatory against special needs students. My child experienced bullying at this school, and not always from the other students. Though there are wall posters everywhere cautioning the children not to be bullies, my child's teacher instructed other students in class to "just ignore" him-- loud enough for him to hear. Psychologist and counselor might as well not even be at the school: absolutely NO understanding of high functioning autistic students or how to work with them. Appeals for necessary accommodations fell on the deaf ears of an arrogant administrator who dealt with an autistic student's anxiety with stern and ineffective disciplinary measures -- and then faulted the child and parents when things went awry. -Horror Show! - If you are special needs, I strongly urge you to avoid this school at all costs. Save yourself the tears and frustration.

Banks Road Elementary 2

Posted July 08, 2014
While some of the teachers at this school are phenomenal, on the whole, the administration is ineffective. The principal is micro-managing and runs the school according to her own limited understanding and clarity about educational issues. It is true that she is much more interested in her own agenda and in making herself look good, and providing unfair opportunities for her own children who attend the school. Very cold and unfeeling, and completely disinterested in anything other than test scores {anything that makes her look good}. -

Banks Road Elementary 3

Posted July 04, 2014
This school is newer so it has the new technology but with that the teachers are all not in line and it hasn't been a positive experience. I agree with the parent about the teachers not having positive attitudes. (Of course some do) But they are not manged by the principal to use positive behavior reinforcement. They started a program for kids and teachers but it was never reinforced so it quickly fell by the way side. The principal is new (although she is starting into her 3rd year) and doesn't have everyone on the same page so it's a crap shoot as to how the classroom will be run and managed. I am still undecided on her ability to manage the school. Sometimes she seems on target then she goes off into left field. She seems more concerned about making things 'appear' to be good than actually making changes but only time will tell. My recommendation would be to try a school that is a little more established with a strong principal that's been there for at least 5 years.

Posted October 05, 2013
Banks Road Elementary provides a positive and safe learning environment for my kids. It is comforting to know that they are safe and in the hands of a caring staff. It is encouraged for parents to be involved in the classrooms and school events. The curriculum is advanced and moves at a fast pace. Parent involvement is needed and encouraged to keep up with the pace. Principal Graf is a sincere and focused leader of the school. She is always pushing the school ahead and finding ways to improve it year after year.

Posted July 28, 2013
Banks road is really in need of teachers with positive attitudes. Hearing about why the kids are wearing cheap shoes or that their hair smells is not something I should be hearing as a parent by the staff. Posters are on the walls about "no bullying" but the teachers are the bullies. Lookout for a few of the 5th grade teachers they are the meanest. My daughters self -esteem was shattered because of the teachers threats and constant intimidation. My kids cried everyday. If you complain, the staff will target your children. My kids felt it everyday. Wish the principal was more compassionate. It starts at the top!! I was considered frantic for advocating for my kids.

Posted July 25, 2013
We just changed schools from Banks-we attended there for one year and the determination was to hold my child back a grade-we did not agree but apparently we have no say as a parent in that-at least was our experience. The amazing thing is the principal at the new school called wondering why our child was held back and before she started at the new school-our child was moved back the appropriate grade level at the new school. Our thought is they teach to the test at Banks and if your child will do well on the EOG's you are fine-if not then you too might have the same experience we did.

Posted April 26, 2012
My daughter loves Banks! There is care, harmony and true discipline towards providing great education, a spirit of community and family values. Banks Road Elementary is providing the foundation my child needs in education, challenging her every step of the way at the same time as giving her positive reinforcement, guidance and care.

Posted March 24, 2011
Really great school. The teachers are wonderful and the principal is great. Seems to be alot of parental involvement in my childrens rooms.

Contact Information

10225 Chambers Road
Raleigh, NC 27603

School website

Banks Road Elementary
10225 Chambers Road, Raleigh, NC  27603
Last modified Banks Road Elementary is a public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Banks Road Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews.