Bad
Good

Posted May 05, 2015
In my personal opinion, WYWLA is a great school. I feel so blessed to be able to attend and have learned a lot. There are a numerous amount of leadership opportunities in the school and in the community. There are also 16 clubs offered after-school. Through these activities, I have really learned about my identity and what it means to be a leader. The classes are challenging and teach you skills that you use as an adult in real life. Tutoring is offered for students who are struggling and SSA and AIG is offered for students who are excelling. WYWLA is a small school so nearly all of the staff members know your name. All of the teachers treat you like you are their daughter and really want the best for you. Additionally, I enjoy having uniforms, the GMS campus and students are amazing, the school lunches are delicious, and the environment is clean. WYWLA is a phenomenal school that is constantly improving each and every day. Many students dislike WYWLA but as I always say, school can be as fun as you make it :)

Posted December 02, 2014
I love this school! It is challenging and fun and I have improved a lot in my two years that I have spent here. I have many good friends and have seen nothing but hard work in all of the teachers/staff members. We have many projects and many special things that are unique to our school, such as Day of the Girl. I have personally read all of the reviews and have to say that the last one (1 star) is incorrect. I have never seen anything like that happen at our school! In conclusion, this school is wonderful and is a great way to instill leadership in your daughter.

Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy 4

Posted March 31, 2014
I am a student at Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy, currently in 10th grade, and this is my second year attending the school. We are in small class rooms which provide one on one time with my teachers.All the classes are honors or AP but the teachers provide in school and out-of -school tutorial on both Tuesdays and Thursdays Because the school is so small, I know all the high school students by name and I am able to build a relationship with my fellow classmates. The best thing about the school is the lunch, because we are located on Governor More head Campus we have home cooked meals that are still wcpss schools such as sweet potatoes, corn bread, fried fish, fresh salad, chicken breast and wings, you name it ! we also eat with silver wear utensils and plastic plates. Before coming to this school, transitioning from a public school, I was annoyed about wearing uniforms but now It doesn't effect me now I don't have to worry about picking out an outfit everyday. However, the uniform selection is big, you can choose between khaki pants skirts or short (they come in navy blue too) and white, blue, gray, or yellow polo with sperrys and uggs (during the winter). - MBH

Posted March 07, 2014
Wonderful school teachers and amazing principal I'm so happy for the girls they have this school .

Posted February 11, 2014
This school has teachers and staff that care! They have done nothing more than giving it their all to help the students... They turn your child into a better leader and a better student. I really do recommend this school to young women with a strive to learn.. ~From a student of WYWLA

Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy 4

Posted August 12, 2013
Consistent leadership from the Administration, a beautiful campus, motivated teachers, and community partnerships make this school a treasure. Students who are able to gain access to WYWLA and give it their all are setting themselves up for success!

Posted April 08, 2013
I cannot say enough wonderful things about Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy! We have been tremendously pleased with our experience. The school has helped my daughter renew her excitement for learning. The curriculum is academically challenging and interesting. The principal, faculty and staff are support the young women in advancing the mission of the school. The leadership focus has helped my daughter build self esteem, embracing the knowledge that everyone has gifts and can make a contribution. As a parent, I feel involved and supported by the teachers, the principal and other WYWLA parents. I have enjoyed being part of the WYWLA community as much as my daughter has.

Posted April 04, 2013
The positive energy and enthusiasm of the faculty, principal, students and parents is inviting and contagious! The teachers REALLY care if my daughter learns and improves and from the beginning of the year went from feeling apathetic about getting good grades to really caring herself about whether she was earning the highest possible grade to her abilities. He confidence in writing and reading has improved at an amazing rate and she has gained much need confidence in her math skills. True, she was a good student to start with, but her teachers have instilled in her a desire for excellence and her peers (all good students as well) help to hold each other accountable for doing their best. Not only in their studies but also hold each other accountable in character. The character development, and personal growth experiences my daughter has had are invaluable. These girls have FUN with Girls' Leadership Class, dances with the boys academy, after school clubs 3 days/week, school wide talent show, career development classes and seminars, job shadowing experiences, author visits with book signings... I could go on and on with how enriching this experience has been for my 7th grader.

Posted April 02, 2013
The faculty and staff are dedicated and engaging, the principal is approachable, caring, firm and on the ball. I volunteer on the campus three to four times a month, the staff are welcoming and the students have always been polite and helpful. They seem to enjoy their environment and are challenged to succeed. The curriculum is rigorous, my daughter is a freshman this year and has challenging homework almost every day and project level work every week and month. The faculty are very responsive to my questions and very supportive of my daughter. The community is small enough to get to know everyone. There is an active focus on service and entrepreneurship. There is also a good relationship with the Wake Young Men's Leadership Academy for social events like school dances and friendly competition like the Jump Rope for Heart event. Where could we do better? We could engage with more of our families to bring more community involvement to our school, we have a great core in our first year, we just need to grow it. Leadership is being taught and modeled at the school, please come and volunteer at the school and you will quickly see the truth of this.

Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy 1

Posted December 16, 2012
We were so excited to get "accepted" to this school, and it couldn't have been a bigger disappointment. I can't imagine what the criteria were, but the only leadership my daughter saw was along the lines of gang leadership. The focus was clearly to keep girls in school that were not succeeding otherwise. There were constant fights and bullying, and it was all dismissed as "normal middle school girl drama" in order to avoid filing any reports that might reflect negatively on the school. My daughter and her 3 sweet friends were afraid in the halls and at lunch. There were no homework assignments or projects., and my daughter did not feel challenged at all. If you have a student that is excelling and wanting to learn, I would steer clear. The behavior and language my daughter was exposed to was horrific. We switched to East Cary and she is once again excited about going to school and everything she is learning and loves her teachers and classmates. There was nothing normal about the drama at Wake Leadership, and I would hate to see any families like mine waste their time considering this option.

Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy
Governor Morehead, Raleigh, NC  27606
Last modified Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.