Posted August 25, 2013
I am pleased with this school I can tell you Ms Jarmen is one of the best she goes the extra mile for her students and for the parents.

Posted March 11, 2013
I am very happy with Union- my daughters are new to this school, 1st and 5th graders. A difficult time for my older daughter to change schools, but all of her teachers have been supportive and open in all effort to help her transition with ease. I am very happy with the school. I am not one to be involved in parent politics, so I can't really comment on this. My younger daughter enjoys her time here too and I am excited to see how she continues to develop and learn at this school.

Union Elementary 2

Posted May 10, 2012
Union is one of the best rated schools in the area, but suffers from a good old boy mentality. Friendships among volunteers and staff supercede the needs of the kids and result in problems. For instance, a boy with a disability was forced to transfer after the teachers and administration continued to not address his needs. Volunteers even made fun of him outside of the school. If one teacher doesn't agree with you, then they all won't. I've also noticed that if you are not from the area, you are an outsider and the needs of your child may fall to the wayside even quicker. As kids grow up, Elementary should be the most positive learning environment. And Union does have several terrific teachers... you just have to know someone and pick them. Unfortunatly, the lack of attention to the needs of their students by the administration and a few teachers, and the lack of concern when problems arise, makes it a school to avoid. The bullying and lack of discipline mentioned in other comments I would agree is accurate.

Posted March 21, 2012
I have been a volunteer at Union for several years. During that time I have not observed the atmosphere described in some recent posts. My experience is that teachers go out of their way to provide the best education possible for each member of the very diverse student body. The atmosphere is warm and caring, but that warmth should not be confused with a lack of discipline. Instead, there is encouragement and support for each student to grow and learn as quickly as they are able. I have worked with more than a few teachers at Union and find them to be highly motivated, resourceful and dedicated. I know that the school day, for many of them, starts well before the morning bell and ends long after student dismissal for the day. While order must naturally be maintained at school, we can't expect elementary students to be automatons. The students are, after all, young children who have to get to school very early, have a rigorous daily academic schedule in school, and then homework after they get home. They need to be given a little room and flexibility as they learn interpersonal skills along with the academic program. I think Union provides a very good balance.

Union Elementary 1

Posted March 07, 2012
While academically pretty successful, this school does not compare to other great schools of the same rating. They are not technologically similiar, they do not foster a positive environment for the students and safety is a concern. The prinicipal leadership is warm and friendly, but many of the teachers do not assist the children with positive social and behavioral skills. Thus, many of the problems at this school are concentrated around disciplinary issues. This school needs to adopt in action a behavior based curriculm that is positive and helps the children to be successfull. To date, I have yet to see a positive approach to issues such as language, fighting or bullying. I'm not sure I will continue to allow my child to attend.

Posted January 12, 2011
This is such a wonderful school. All of our teachers have been amazing, especially Crystal Fleming. We can't imagine our children going anywhere else, and feel so blessed to be a part of Union's community of learners.

Posted October 01, 2010
My daughter has attended Union since Kindergarten and is now in 3rd grade. I could not ask for a better school. The teachers are fabulous, the office staff is on top of things and the Principal, Ms Vicky Smith is a blessing! Parents are encouraged to visit/help and made to feel wanted. Thanks Union for a great job! UNION ROCKS!!!

Posted February 13, 2010
just cant say enough of this school miss vicky the headmaster of school is wonderful lady and the teachers are so very helpful great school

Posted September 30, 2009
Great staff - great volunteers

Union Elementary 3

Posted September 25, 2009
My family just moved here and comparatively speaking this school is not quite up to our standards from the last school our daughter attended. Every function to date we've attended has been terribly disorganized and information is not communicated properly. However, what the school lacks in logistics it makes up in spirit. The Staff is friendly and has the kid's interest at heart. Still, we'd love to see some improvement. In particular the parking situation is a nightmare. There is no doubt in my mind there will be an accident one day. I'm not sure if we'll keep her in here or send her to private next year.

Union Elementary
180 Union School Road Northwest, Shallotte, NC  28459
Last modified Union Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews.