Pinecrest High School

Public | 9-12 | 2031 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 6, 2014

Pinecrest's new slogan is "Destination Excellence." While we acknowledge that we're not there yet, we've set excellence as a goal. Our teachers are extremely dedicated, with most offering before and/or after school tutoring, and many leading student clubs and activities. Students may choose from 24 AP course offerings, and also take advantage of free college-credit courses offered through SCC, our local community college. CTE (Career and Technical Education) classes include biomedical technology, culinary arts, drafting, masonry, automotive technology, marketing, Microsoft Essentials, principles of technology, and more. Our arts programs produce performances that draw the entire community, and we are nationally recognized for both arts and debate. And yes, we have exceptional sports teams as well (baseball, wrestling, golf, swim, lacrosse, softball, volleyball, basketball, soccer, track and field, football--even powder puff football. Can you tell we love our school? That's part of the Patriot Promise! We support ALL our students so that they graduate and become successful, contributing leaders. Go Pinecrest!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 4, 2014

My daughter is a senior at this school. She really does not like it due to the largeness of the school(about 1500 students),with the smallest high school cafeteria I have ever seen. Pinehurst and West end certainly can use a couple of new high schools. most of the students lack social skills, they have no extracurricular activities that encourages school spirit and social skills. The students are mostly reserved and find it difficult to mingle with their peers unless if they grew up together or have known each other for a long time. Coming in as a new student with great social skills you will face some difficulties making friends and enjoying a simple social life with others. The academic aspect of the program here is somewhat challenging and keeps students busy. However, as usually you have teachers that favor some students above others and if you are not part of the school click you may miss out a little bit, not as bad as other places with clicks though. I think if the school is down sized it will definitely do better in terms of many of its internal issues.

Posted October 16, 2013

I teach at Pinecrest and I love it here. No... We are not perfect, but no school is. We are currently reaching out to those students who do not participate in extra curriculars such as sports or clubs to get them more involved in the school community. 5 stars for PHS.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 25, 2013

Pinecrest has some good aspects, but the majority is wretched. Some of the teachers actually care and want to develop relations with students, but others are there because it is a job and the bare minimum is only considered. The school could improve upon many aspects, but the main aspect I am concerned about is changing the accessibility, exempli gratia, open more gates and stop restricting paths and convenient locations.

Posted March 30, 2013

Pinecrest High is too large. The teachers are overburdened and the classes are large. Great curriculum and sports program-too many students.

Posted December 11, 2011

The school offers the best curriculum diversity, student test scores, and athletics in the county. Most teachers and principals care about the students a great deal. Unfortunately the teachers are overburdened by an inordinate number of meetings, most unproductive, and poor treatment by principals with student disruptions. My child was in a class with a great teacher who could not teach because of a group of unruly students. Several times I heard of her calling for assistance and rather than changing the class dynamics, they griped (my child overheard!) and slowly made their way to the room. My child had this teacher previously with zero problems but she hated the second class she had with this teacher because of the other students. Out of 12 classes there, she's had three classes where students aren't removed or classes shuffled to minimize disruptions. Why would a school permit students to run the class like that?

Posted October 28, 2011

Pinecrest, while it does have its faults, is overall a good school. The thing that is best about Pinecrest is that they force you to take responsibility for your education. Depending on whether you are a responsible person or not is the ultimate deciding factor on how well you will do. They do have caring faculty who truly love their jobs but they expect the students to take an active role in their own education and will not hinder them by holding their hands and doing the work for them. Nothing here is handed on a silver platter to people who don't deserve it. With that being said, when they do find the dedicated student who is trying their hardest, whether they are struggling or excelling, they will do whatever they have to do to help the student succeed. Now you are not going to get along with everyone, that's just life but at Pinecrest you build lifetime bonds with the faculty and the students. So with that being said this is the perfect enivironment if you are willing to work. If not then this may not be for you and all this comes from a currnent PCHS senior. :)

Posted April 12, 2011

Pinecrest is a mixed bag, as I was warned it would be. My daughter had a fantastic first semester, with caring teachers who challenged her. This semester she feels lost, with some teachers who appear cold, kids with cell phones on all the time, and a lot of inappropriate language, etc. I tried to complain but teachers don't always call back. I tried the principal for this level who basically said until I spoke to the teacher, he won't speak to me. It's a vicious cycle. The main thing I've learned is that once you've found the good teachers, try to stick with them, if possible. Pinecrest has a lot to offer, but it takes some time to get to it all.

Posted April 14, 2010

Pinecrest High is a very large school, in fact overcrowded. Moore County really needs to consider building another high school with appropriate teacher/students ratio per classroom. For the students from the West End area and the huge problem with the morning traffic on 211 near Taylortown/Lowes Food, something needs to be done about it. It is a good high school there are some good teachers and some bad teachers and don't let all the rumors about the bad teens scare you because as long your child is strong and socialing with the right group of friends, he/she will be alright.

Posted February 5, 2010

I am a former teacher,coach, and parent of three girls who graduated from pinecrest. The school is a great academic challenge- offering a myriad of excellent studies to students. The athletic department is surpassed by no system in this state in overall excellence. The classrooms, auditorium,athletic fields,stadiums, and gymnasium are very good. The drama, orchestrea,band,aand performing arts are fantastic. The only shorttfalls are the lack of a second gymnasium and a large student populatiion.

Posted September 16, 2009

Pinecrest offers every student a chance to achive their goals in life , by offering advanced classes that so many schools do not, my grand-daughter was in France for a year as an exchange student ,her parents live in Greenville NC and she wanted to come and stay with us just so she could get the classes she needed to get into a good college and she loves the school and the teachers, it seems that all of the students that attend this school are Pinecrest proud!!!

Posted July 5, 2009

Without a Doubt, I have to say that the one thing to me that stands out about this school is the Excellent Athletic Program. With almost every team making it to the playoffs this past year, I must say the Coaches, Players, etc. are doing a marvelous job.

Posted March 3, 2009

I am a senior at pc and i have been here all four years.. I have had really no problems here.... But i believe in order to enjoy any school you need to make sure you have friends to guide you through. Pc is an awesome school and all of my teachers were awesome.... Im proud to be a patriot :)

Posted January 30, 2009

When we moved from the DC area my son was in the middle of a course of study not offered by Pinecrest. They made arrangements for him to continue his studies through distance education. My other son is at PCHS also and he does come home and tell me of altercations every now and then but these disturbances don't seem to be affecting his education and are no where near the level of problems at the high schools in Prince George's County. If you are an involved participatory parent you'll be fine. I have never had a problem with return communication and frequently recieve updates from teachers. One Kudos: the attendance secretary is tough but fair and when watching her interact with the kids I can tell she genuinely cares for them. Keep up the good work.

Posted January 19, 2009

As a military family, I have had my children in many different schools in several states, and this has been the least impressive school I have ever seen. My first impression was of complete disorganization and my opinion of the school only gets worse with each encounter. There was no communication from the school when my child's teacher left during the year. After numerous subs, the permanent sub walked out during finals week. It's very difficult to get anyone at the school to respond to any concerns--emails and phone messages go unanswered. The Vice Principal's job seems to be to do nothing more than break up the daily fights. The IB program is not working and now they are trying to convince parents to enroll their kids in an alternative math program without being able to show any firm plan to carry it out or ensure it's success.

Posted September 28, 2008

I'm a Sophomore at PHS and I think its a great school for the most part. Some teachers are nice and some seem like they don't care if the students in their class pass or fail. In my Freshman year out of the 9 teachers I had only 4 really seemed like they cared. I found the best class is ROTC to me its almost like a family. I joined mostly because my grandfather and my crush/friend wanted me to. I didn't like it at first but I made friends quickly and I love it. Pinecrest is not as bad as some people say. People just have to find the right teachers and friends to make high school tolerable.

Posted June 27, 2008

I also heard how great PHS and let me tell you that, yeah they have all these great classes, but they dont have the good teachers for them. they have security but it doesnt do anything. ive seen more fights here in one year than at any other school i have attended. its all about politics. and most kids are stuck up and rude.

Posted May 5, 2008

Before I attended PHS, all I heard was how great it is. Personally, I disagree 100%. I haven't learned a single thing that I didn't already know. The staff/faculty are extremely rude and are no help at all. It took me over two weeks to get enrolled in school, since they 'enroll by appointment!' When I finally happened to get in, the person[s] who were evolved in enrolling me were no help at all. The woman literally pointed to the building and said 'you'll be in there most of the time.' I wasn't introduced to any of my teachers and I wasn't even shown the building, I had a slight idea of where it was... As if it wasn't surprise enough to me, imagine my teachers reactions. We've also had a problem with trying to cooperate with the office; they have been no help at all.

Posted October 17, 2007

I attended PC and at first heated it! I felt like there was to many students. When I looked around the surrounding counties and saw some of there schools, I became proud of PC.It had some of the best teachers and offered all the best class form a certified nursing assistant to the AP and IB programs. We always had the proper resources we need to run successfully. PC had a extracurricular activities for everyone. I say Pincrest is a great school and prepared me for a college career at a top university here in North Carolina. I'm proud to be a patriot.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 5, 2007

I currently attend Pinecrest as a sophomore, and I must say, I don't feel that I will get much out of it. As a physically disabled student who is at an accelerated academic rate, I really feel lost in the crowd. Some of the teachers are great, but out of the eight I have had, I only feel that three really wanted to help their students succeed. The school is also much too big. I come from a previous school of around 600 students and there is definitely an advantage in small classrooms. The academic standards seem much lower as well. I realize some people praise the school on their extra-curriculars, but I have asked many times to be involved and no progress has been made. Overall, the school is too big and most of the time, they are slow to make adjustments for handicapped students that still want to succeed.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

496 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

Reading

Science

Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

793 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 82% in 2011.

484 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Civics and Economics

The state average for Civics and Economics was 80% in 2011.

510 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English I

The state average for English I was 83% in 2012.

490 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

483 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 77% in 2011.

United States History

The state average for United States History was 82% in 2011.

466 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• ELL/ESL Coordinator

Health & athletics

• School psychologist
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Spanish

• Art teacher(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options