Southern Pines, NC
Students enrolled: 2,031

Pinecrest High School 4

Posted July 03, 2015
Pinecrest High does have its flaws, but its a good school. If your child is into sports, we have a awesome football team and plenty of other great sports to choose from as well. If your child is into debate, we have a nationally recognized, stellar Speech team. If your child loves music (like I do), our band and orchestra programs are top-notch, especially the Marching Band. Our academics are good for the most part. Most teachers here truly care about what they are teaching, and your progress and skill as one of their students. There are a few that aren't this way, but not so much that the overall academic quality of the school is brought down heavily. I really like this school. Overall, I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars, because there is room for some improvement.

Pinecrest High School
Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 03, 2015
Most of the teachers at PC care about their students and their academic skill, but there is a small handful of those who don't.

Pinecrest High School 2

Posted June 29, 2014
I was hoping the school would improve for my children with a new principal, but there are still too many downfalls. Sports is the main focus. The administration gives no attention to other extra curricular activities. Parents are flooded with connect ed messages about sporting events, even separate messages reminding us not to bring umbrellas. However, when Pinecrest hosted the All County Orchestra Concert, our principal made no mention and did not attend. Pincrest is losing wonderful teachers each year to better working conditions and pay. The positions are not being filled, but instead absorbed making class sizes of 30+ students. Instead of hiring teachers, the principal is advertising for an athletic trainer/parking lot attendant. We all know this is a creative way to pay a football coach. Pinecrest does offer many AP courses, which is great for gifted students. However, freshman and sophomores are now allowed to take these courses (when they are not ready) in order for the school to look better on paper. Nobody seems to care that every student does not have a desk and chair. Did I mention the new gym under construction? Destination excellence? Maybe in sports.
2 people found this helpful

Pinecrest High School 2

Posted June 29, 2014

Pinecrest High School 4

Posted April 06, 2014
Pinecrest's new slogan is "Destination Excellence." While we acknowledge that we're not there yet, we've set excellence as a goal. Our teachers are extremely dedicated, with most offering before and/or after school tutoring, and many leading student clubs and activities. Students may choose from 24 AP course offerings, and also take advantage of free college-credit courses offered through SCC, our local community college. CTE (Career and Technical Education) classes include biomedical technology, culinary arts, drafting, masonry, automotive technology, marketing, Microsoft Essentials, principles of technology, and more. Our arts programs produce performances that draw the entire community, and we are nationally recognized for both arts and debate. And yes, we have exceptional sports teams as well (baseball, wrestling, golf, swim, lacrosse, softball, volleyball, basketball, soccer, track and field, football--even powder puff football. Can you tell we love our school? That's part of the Patriot Promise! We support ALL our students so that they graduate and become successful, contributing leaders. Go Pinecrest!

Posted February 04, 2014
My daughter is a senior at this school. She really does not like it due to the largeness of the school(about 1500 students),with the smallest high school cafeteria I have ever seen. Pinehurst and West end certainly can use a couple of new high schools. most of the students lack social skills, they have no extracurricular activities that encourages school spirit and social skills. The students are mostly reserved and find it difficult to mingle with their peers unless if they grew up together or have known each other for a long time. Coming in as a new student with great social skills you will face some difficulties making friends and enjoying a simple social life with others. The academic aspect of the program here is somewhat challenging and keeps students busy. However, as usually you have teachers that favor some students above others and if you are not part of the school click you may miss out a little bit, not as bad as other places with clicks though. I think if the school is down sized it will definitely do better in terms of many of its internal issues.

Pinecrest High School 5

Posted October 16, 2013
I teach at Pinecrest and I love it here. No... We are not perfect, but no school is. We are currently reaching out to those students who do not participate in extra curriculars such as sports or clubs to get them more involved in the school community. 5 stars for PHS.

Pinecrest High School 1

Posted August 25, 2013
Pinecrest has some good aspects, but the majority is wretched. Some of the teachers actually care and want to develop relations with students, but others are there because it is a job and the bare minimum is only considered. The school could improve upon many aspects, but the main aspect I am concerned about is changing the accessibility, exempli gratia, open more gates and stop restricting paths and convenient locations.

Posted March 30, 2013
Pinecrest High is too large. The teachers are overburdened and the classes are large. Great curriculum and sports program-too many students.

Posted December 11, 2011
The school offers the best curriculum diversity, student test scores, and athletics in the county. Most teachers and principals care about the students a great deal. Unfortunately the teachers are overburdened by an inordinate number of meetings, most unproductive, and poor treatment by principals with student disruptions. My child was in a class with a great teacher who could not teach because of a group of unruly students. Several times I heard of her calling for assistance and rather than changing the class dynamics, they griped (my child overheard!) and slowly made their way to the room. My child had this teacher previously with zero problems but she hated the second class she had with this teacher because of the other students. Out of 12 classes there, she's had three classes where students aren't removed or classes shuffled to minimize disruptions. Why would a school permit students to run the class like that?

Pinecrest High School
250 Voit Gilmore Lane, Southern Pines, NC  28387
Last modified Pinecrest High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pinecrest High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top