PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

I am a parent of 2 children. My son graduated O'Neal 2 years ago and my daughter is in high school. I read a lot of reviews from "community members". They are reporting gossip, nothing more. One said only 10% of students get accepted into UNC Chapel Hill. I can tell you from my experience in the last few years, very few students even applied to Chapel Hill. In my sons graduating class only one student applied to UNC Chapel Hill and was accepted. The students from O'Neal attend universities all over the country and don't limit themselves to NC schools. You can go to the website and see a list of the many universities that O'Neal students attend. They have a 100% college acceptance rate. One person complained teachers don't check homework. I have only experienced one teacher that didn't check homework. It was a calculus class and the teacher told the students that not doing homework would reflect on their test greade because the only way to get good at calculus is to work a lot of problems. Most classes actually get a homework grade. The grade is for completing homework and on the accuracy of homework. Another comment was that students aren't disciplined for cheating. That is ridiculous. O'Neal holds students accountable, just like every school. O'Neal is a GREAT school for most students. I do know of a few students that left O'Neal for public schools. Their reasons are varied. Some students do better in larger schools, some students aren't ready for the rigor of the courses and some just didn't find it the right fit for them. Don't judge O'Neal by listening to bitter people. If you are interested, call for a tour and decide for yourself. O'Neal doesn't cater to it's own kind, referring to the wealthy in our community. We are a middle income family that lives in an older home and we drive used cars. Tuition assistance is available and is the only way my children could attend. We still have to pay some tuition and don't mind sacrificing. The pay off for my children has been worth every dime.

This school caters to their own kind. High income students, which I don't understand how, if it is a median household area.

This is my daughter's 9th year at O'Neal, she is now in the 7th Grade. We have been very pleased with the quality of the teaching as well as the athletic and extracurricular program. Due to the small classes, all students develop confidence to express their views and participate in class discussions. O'Neal students excel in independent and critical thinking, public speaking and writing. My daughter is definitely ahead in math and writing compared to her friends in other local schools. She has a real love of school and learning which I attribute to the challenging yet supportive environment at O'Neal.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The Leadership of the school is experienced, responsive and committed to ensuring that O'Neal provides the best possible education and environment for learning.

Amount of homework: Agree

The students practice what they have learned in class, and learn to manage time and work step-bu-step for big projects

Having 2 children at O'Neal allows me to offer my children the greatest gift possible. The overall education and enrichment classes and extra curricular opportunities are very special. Our children will very well prepared for life after high school because of O'Neal

My son will begin his sixth year at The O'Neal School this year. The class sizes are small (only 11 in his class last year). Teachers are able to teach the individual student rather than pressure students into passing a standardized test. The school is a great fit for my creative son who has major test anxiety. Overall, the school has a wonderful community feel. Families take pride in the school and so many parents go above and beyond to volunteer their time to help out in whatever capacity they are able. The children are respectful and they are taught manners beginning in Pre-K 3. I consistently see them opening doors for one another and speaking respectfully to adults. My son has thrived at O'Neal and we plan to keep him there for as long as possible.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The teachers have free reign to teach what they pretty much want to teach. The teaching does not align itself with the Stanford testing given, therefore the scores are always low!

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is way to much busy work. The teachers don't even check the homework. That is how irelivant the home work is to the teachers. They just give a effort grade.. No corrections are given!

Develops character: Disagree

They don't discipline students for cheating with a zero for their work. They get to do it over. Their is an honor code, but the students know it means nothing.

Last modified The O'Neal School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12