Overhills Elementary

Public | PK-5 | 902 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 9, 2014

My child attends this school for kindergarten. His teacher and the assistant teacher are A-MAZING! Her name is Mrs. Taylor and the assistant teacher is Mrs. Mellish. They are a PHENOMENAL team. I have observed their interaction with not only my child but the other children in the class. They provide the students with direction and structure that is required for a foundation for their education. Being an active parent falls on the parents' responsibility and not the teacher. I am actively engaged in my child's class and participate in their programs without having to be a member of the PTA. I am a full time military parent and find time to be there when volunteers are needed for field trips. They send the children home with a notebook that dictates how the child behaved during the day. Both teachers are easy to approach and talk with if I have a concern or question about my child or their work. I do not see their principal often or even speak with her. In the mornings, I do not have any interaction with her and at times, the office staff can be rude and abrupt regardless if they are busy or not. They are can be rude to both parents and students.

Posted April 3, 2014

Terrible School. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE. The principals do absolutely nothing when you have a concern with something at the school. We will try to get our son on a school on base next year. Note: The teacher is alright, but the class size is also very large.

Posted March 5, 2014

Seems that all this school cares about is making money. If it is not box tops it is selling cookie dough, or providing them with a bunch of addresses. As if they don't get enough money from the government already! My kid is there to learn, not be your money maker! That is what my property taxes are for! That is what your PTO is for! Not the children. As for teachers go, I am disappointed in the lack of communication between teachers and teacher's aids. Does the aid run the classroom or the teacher? I have gotten phone calls home to motivate my child! Seriously, how can a fifteen year + experienced teacher not manage these issues? No not all children are the same, find ways to individualize lesson plans to help specific needs!!! This school is terrible.

Posted December 13, 2013

I feel bad for the teachers at this school with three terrible principals/assistant principals putting so much on their shoulders. You can tell the administration makes them uneasy. The principal is horrible. You can't take a horrible principal and put her in a new school to give her a new start. The teachers all hate it there and you can see it in their faces and how the interact with the kids. I hope the district opens up their eyes and get with it and fixes the administration soon!

Posted November 18, 2013

My children attended OES for 1.5 years. We have lived in a lot of different states as a military family and this was by far the worst district we have ever lived in. The school is incredibly over crowded, the teachers are not there because they love to teach, and the principal had extremely poor leadership skills. My oldest child has a 504 plan that the school couldn't manage to follow. He only requires preferential seating and I was told time and time again the trouble makers had to be seated in the front so the teacher could keep an eye on them. Absolutely pathetic, in my opinion. My kindergarten child was behind in reading and when asking for him to be tested for a learning disability I was told that he's reading at a C/D level which is average. And they have too many behavioral issues to deal with average students who are technically passing. My 3rd grader at the time was in a class of 29 students to 1 teacher. After tons of issues regarding the lack of supervision and education and getting nowhere with the teachers or administration, we ended up pulling our children and putting them into private school. This school needs a LOT of improvement.

Posted July 29, 2013

OES is the only school my son has known. We've had great teachers the entire time. Each year, I know that I can send him to school without worrying about his safety or him being challenged enough. We've had Ms. Bruner, Ms. Hume, and Ms. Fowler...each of them have taught my son wonderfully. They have all treated him with kindness and compassion. He has a couple of medical conditions that have required some extra attention and compassion the last couple of years and I am grateful for the teachers he had. They always kept me informed and was never negative about the extra attention he required during these times. Read school reviews with an open mind. My thought is that you will get out of a school what you put in. There will always be teachers or administration you don't particularly care for...even in the "best" schools; public or private.

Posted July 21, 2013

This is not an indictment on the school but on the county. OES is 176% over capacity and the county will not fund new school construction. Schools were one of the most important factors when we were house hunting. We bought our home but did not understand the poor state of the schools. Avoid Harnett county until this gets fixed, unless you're okay with your kids riding a bus for a couple of hours per day.

Posted May 19, 2013

AWESOME!! My son attended K under MRS. B. THOMAS and boy he was challenged. She was very caring, loving and motherly to the children and treat them like her own. My child excelled in academics more than I expected. His ONLY weakest point she can't fix is his handwriting, haha. Even when she's sick, she thought of her kids than anyone else. My son's 1st Grade year was also amazing, thanks to MS. LANGS and MS. RAY. Again, my son was challenged and he wholeheartedly accepted it and he's one of the top of his class. At times he gets bored because he already knew the topics, i.e. Math, so Ms. Langs would have him take some extra Math problems home. Homework are consistent, Quizzes on Fridays are anticipated, Reading logs are mandated which is very good. I've no complaints when it comes to academic aspects. One complaint about school though, Overcrowding and we're being assigned to a much farther school for SY2013-14. I refuse to. ACP or South Harnett are 7 miles more farther than OES.

Posted April 29, 2013

Obviously people have different perspectives. I believe OES does a great job spotlighting many different kids. In fact, I commented after Leadership Day how awesome it was to see so many faces. It was nice to see kids in the halls that aren't necessarily the "top" in the class academically or otherwise. Student leaders are chosen at the beginning of the yr for a variety of programs such as the "Lighthouse Team," OES TV & student gov't. The teachers, as well as classmates, chose participants based on their attitude,interest, & other achievements. Most of these children were chosen by teachers who did not know the parents. Let's give our teachers more credit. Of course these kids will be seen more b/e of the nature of what they do. I don't believe that a group of parents can intimidate a Principal as strong as ours. Our Principal is the leader at our school, who needs support from staff & parents. I appreciate all the volunteers hrs given by parents regardless of where they live. Personally I have worked w/wonderful ladies from many different neighborhoods & we have a great time while helping out OUR school. By the way, when is it not okay to be your child's greatest fan?!

Posted April 29, 2013

My son attends Overhills Elementary school. I have personally logged the most amount of Volunteer hours at the school this year. I am up there to "Promote" a FABULOUS school full of AWESOME Teachers, Staff, Administration and Volunteers. My son is NOT one of the "Primary" kids in everything...and that is ok. Volunteering is not about accolades, it is about giving back. I see many different kids included in all events. I feel that the school is fair in spreading the spot light. If you want your child to be more involved but don't have the time to be there, I promise there are other parents that will be glad to help you with that. Contact the Volunteer Coordinator, Danielle Sykes, and she can point you in the right direction. Don't let hear say run you off from a Great school. OES is BEST! - Lisa Clifford

Posted April 27, 2013

Overhills Elementary is a great school if you are able to volunteer and promote your kids. I have to work full time to support my kids. My kids make excellent marks and are in the top of their classes. You will see that the same 5-10 kids are in every thing. The click of certain volunteer Moms from a certain neighborhood is horrible. They are rude and make just enough comments to run off the other people who want to be involved. The principal is scared of this group and will do nothing about them even though it has been going on for the past couple of years. People warned me that this group is allowed to run the school. I now see what they were talking about. Avoid this school unless you can be up there every day to promote your kid.

Posted August 2, 2012

I am rating this school 4 out of 5 because Ms.Callahan, the second grade teacher was phenomenal. However, if I had to rate the school based on the attitude and teaching ability of Ms.Hume I would have to rate it 1 out of 5. She has a horrible attitude toward the children and parents. My child hated going to school each morning. I could tell a drastic change in his attitude because we switched schools in the middle of the year after moving from Georgia where he loved his school there. I am still confused as to why she is in this profession. That being said, Ms.Callahan clearly loves teaching and loves her students. My second grader's grades improved throughout the year because of her uplifting attitude and encouragement toward her students.

Posted March 5, 2012

I've had great experiences so far with the school, teachers. I'd like to give kudos to Mrs. Aras (4th grade) and Mrs. Land (Pre-K). They both communicate well with me. I can call them or email if I have problems, concercns or questions and I'm never ignored.

Posted February 19, 2012

WORST SCHOOL EVER! We are a military family. My kids have been all over the states, from Kentucky, TN, SC, Kansas and NC. This is the worst school my kids had ever been. Ms. Tuggles is the worst third grade teacher ever. Kids are intimidated by her. One kid on her classroom had a little accident just because he was too scare to ask if he could go to the bathroom. My son's work was used as an example on how not to do a skeleton craft they did on class, which of course made him cried. When I asked the teacher about this situation, she argued she never meant to hurt my kids feeling and said she has over 22 years of teaching experience which of course doesn't proof anything at all. Most teachers were in schock when she won "Best teacher Award on 2011". This is just discouraging to other teachers. Overcrowding issues!

Posted September 26, 2011

I was hoping from the great reviews this school had gotten that my fears would be put to rest. However, I am saddened to say this school is HORRIBLE!! No communication between teachers and parents(not the ones my children have anyway). I requested a conference a week ago and have not heard a word from the teacher. The only thing that has come home informing me of what is going on in the classroom are the agendas the kids write their homework in and a folder with work to be signed from the week before(that by the way has a review for the teacher to complete each wk. which has remained BLANK!!). I am used to having newsletters at the beginning of each week informing parents of everything going on that week from activities to test!! This school is a JOKE compared to what we are used to. I have to say that I agree totally with the comment posted from a teacher at another school who has children at this school. I am currently researching homeschooling!!

Posted September 15, 2011

Love the school!! Ms Parker is an awesome Kindergarden teacher!! She always challenged my daughter. Now my daughter is advanced in 1st grade.

Posted August 29, 2011

My daughter was in Mrs. Thomas's kindergarten class last year and I can say without any hesitation, that my daughter THRIVED in her classroom. Communication was excellent, and my child was excited to go to school everyday and learning new things gave her the drive to continue. She is about to start first grade. My middle daughter is now about to start kindergarten and I have high hopes for another excellent year.

Posted August 8, 2011

My 10 year old daughter had the best school year of her life after moving to Anderson creek area. She just finished her first year at Overhills Elementary School and her 4th grade teacher Mrs. Joyner was the greatest, most caring and passionate teacher my daughter has ever had. My 4th grader could not wait to go to school every day. She enjoyed learning and her test scores were wonderful at the end of the year. She cannot wait to return and start 5th grade at Overhills Elementary School.

Posted April 30, 2011

My kids have been going to this school for the past two years. I have been very happy with it so far. The teachers communicate well with the parents and encourage the students to strive for the best. I like the fact that they have Teacher Assistants in the classroom as well. The class sizes are anywhere between 18-22(Kindergarten through 2nd grade).

Posted April 18, 2011

Overhills Elementary is not a good school to me. I feel like they don't focus on the kids enouph, and they do not keep you informed in the AGENDA that they give our kids. We know our kids potential and I don't feel as if they even care. It's probally because it is way too many kids at the school. For the record I know that you guys are not baby sitters, but if my child is not doing okay and I am the school EVERY week and you tell me that my child is doing fine I expect to see that on his REPORT card. If my child is not doing good I expect the teacher to tell me. I am an educator at a different school and I let my parents know at the end of every week how the child is doing and I think that SOME teachers at Overhills would care to do the dame thing.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students45%

Proficient in English46%
Non-migrant46%
Academically gifted82%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students55%

• Mrs Kay Ferrell
Fax number
  • (910) 436-3686

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2626 Ray Road