Posted June 10, 2014
I have had children at this school now for 5 years. I have had nothing but good experiences with the amazing staff. Our teachers every year have been awesome and I know they work very hard to make each child successful. Granted, my children do not have any learning or behavioral issues and are your average run of the mill kids in Elementary School so I do not have to interact with the teachers for any special issues. I think the key to our success has been to be as involved as possible in the school- volunteering, PTO, and supporting those teachers as much as you can. Not having any family around I can't tell you how important it has been to have such loving, kind, caring and friendly faces that go over and above for the students. We are so grateful for the staff that are committed to the school. Yes, in such a transient military community there is turnover of staff but there are also enough permanent staff to make my kids feel safe and happy to go every day. We are very lucky to have a huge support staff too. We are truly blessed to have such a sensible and level- headed principal who is dedicated to student success and a fun learning environment for our kids.

Posted April 09, 2014
My child attends this school for kindergarten. His teacher and the assistant teacher are A-MAZING! Her name is Mrs. Taylor and the assistant teacher is Mrs. Mellish. They are a PHENOMENAL team. I have observed their interaction with not only my child but the other children in the class. They provide the students with direction and structure that is required for a foundation for their education. Being an active parent falls on the parents' responsibility and not the teacher. I am actively engaged in my child's class and participate in their programs without having to be a member of the PTA. I am a full time military parent and find time to be there when volunteers are needed for field trips. They send the children home with a notebook that dictates how the child behaved during the day. Both teachers are easy to approach and talk with if I have a concern or question about my child or their work. I do not see their principal often or even speak with her. In the mornings, I do not have any interaction with her and at times, the office staff can be rude and abrupt regardless if they are busy or not. They are can be rude to both parents and students.

Posted April 03, 2014
Terrible School. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE. The principals do absolutely nothing when you have a concern with something at the school. We will try to get our son on a school on base next year. Note: The teacher is alright, but the class size is also very large.

Overhills Elementary 2

Posted March 05, 2014
Seems that all this school cares about is making money. If it is not box tops it is selling cookie dough, or providing them with a bunch of addresses. As if they don't get enough money from the government already! My kid is there to learn, not be your money maker! That is what my property taxes are for! That is what your PTO is for! Not the children. As for teachers go, I am disappointed in the lack of communication between teachers and teacher's aids. Does the aid run the classroom or the teacher? I have gotten phone calls home to motivate my child! Seriously, how can a fifteen year + experienced teacher not manage these issues? No not all children are the same, find ways to individualize lesson plans to help specific needs!!! This school is terrible.

Posted December 13, 2013
I feel bad for the teachers at this school with three terrible principals/assistant principals putting so much on their shoulders. You can tell the administration makes them uneasy. The principal is horrible. You can't take a horrible principal and put her in a new school to give her a new start. The teachers all hate it there and you can see it in their faces and how the interact with the kids. I hope the district opens up their eyes and get with it and fixes the administration soon!

Posted November 18, 2013
My children attended OES for 1.5 years. We have lived in a lot of different states as a military family and this was by far the worst district we have ever lived in. The school is incredibly over crowded, the teachers are not there because they love to teach, and the principal had extremely poor leadership skills. My oldest child has a 504 plan that the school couldn't manage to follow. He only requires preferential seating and I was told time and time again the trouble makers had to be seated in the front so the teacher could keep an eye on them. Absolutely pathetic, in my opinion. My kindergarten child was behind in reading and when asking for him to be tested for a learning disability I was told that he's reading at a C/D level which is average. And they have too many behavioral issues to deal with average students who are technically passing. My 3rd grader at the time was in a class of 29 students to 1 teacher. After tons of issues regarding the lack of supervision and education and getting nowhere with the teachers or administration, we ended up pulling our children and putting them into private school. This school needs a LOT of improvement.

Posted July 29, 2013
OES is the only school my son has known. We've had great teachers the entire time. Each year, I know that I can send him to school without worrying about his safety or him being challenged enough. We've had Ms. Bruner, Ms. Hume, and Ms. Fowler...each of them have taught my son wonderfully. They have all treated him with kindness and compassion. He has a couple of medical conditions that have required some extra attention and compassion the last couple of years and I am grateful for the teachers he had. They always kept me informed and was never negative about the extra attention he required during these times. Read school reviews with an open mind. My thought is that you will get out of a school what you put in. There will always be teachers or administration you don't particularly care for...even in the "best" schools; public or private.

Posted July 21, 2013
This is not an indictment on the school but on the county. OES is 176% over capacity and the county will not fund new school construction. Schools were one of the most important factors when we were house hunting. We bought our home but did not understand the poor state of the schools. Avoid Harnett county until this gets fixed, unless you're okay with your kids riding a bus for a couple of hours per day.

Posted May 19, 2013
AWESOME!! My son attended K under MRS. B. THOMAS and boy he was challenged. She was very caring, loving and motherly to the children and treat them like her own. My child excelled in academics more than I expected. His ONLY weakest point she can't fix is his handwriting, haha. Even when she's sick, she thought of her kids than anyone else. My son's 1st Grade year was also amazing, thanks to MS. LANGS and MS. RAY. Again, my son was challenged and he wholeheartedly accepted it and he's one of the top of his class. At times he gets bored because he already knew the topics, i.e. Math, so Ms. Langs would have him take some extra Math problems home. Homework are consistent, Quizzes on Fridays are anticipated, Reading logs are mandated which is very good. I've no complaints when it comes to academic aspects. One complaint about school though, Overcrowding and we're being assigned to a much farther school for SY2013-14. I refuse to. ACP or South Harnett are 7 miles more farther than OES.

Overhills Elementary 4

Posted April 29, 2013
Obviously people have different perspectives. I believe OES does a great job spotlighting many different kids. In fact, I commented after Leadership Day how awesome it was to see so many faces. It was nice to see kids in the halls that aren't necessarily the "top" in the class academically or otherwise. Student leaders are chosen at the beginning of the yr for a variety of programs such as the "Lighthouse Team," OES TV & student gov't. The teachers, as well as classmates, chose participants based on their attitude,interest, & other achievements. Most of these children were chosen by teachers who did not know the parents. Let's give our teachers more credit. Of course these kids will be seen more b/e of the nature of what they do. I don't believe that a group of parents can intimidate a Principal as strong as ours. Our Principal is the leader at our school, who needs support from staff & parents. I appreciate all the volunteers hrs given by parents regardless of where they live. Personally I have worked w/wonderful ladies from many different neighborhoods & we have a great time while helping out OUR school. By the way, when is it not okay to be your child's greatest fan?!

Overhills Elementary
2626 Ray Road, Spring Lake, NC  28390
Last modified Overhills Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Overhills Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews.