Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted July 13, 2016
We moved to the area in 2014. We have 2 kids who attend Overhills Elementary and we have had an amazing experience. From Ms. G in the front office, to the new principle Ms. Polumbo (she is joined OES in early 2016) and all the amazing teachers at OES, we could not ask for better leadership or the support. This school is focused on the kids and that is what is important. This area has a lot of military families and therefore there is often a change in students coming and going. I think it makes it a little extra difficult, not only on the students, but also for the staff and teachers. However, this school always has their arms open with welcoming hearts and smiling faces to help each child. A school should be recognized more than just for an EOG testing. There is so much learning and creativity that happens in this school and unfortunately, it gets lost in translation with these so called test scores. Please do not let the "Score" scare you from an awesome school. Go to the school, speak with the staff, teachers, other parents and get in person thoughts and opinions before making a decision on whether or not to have your child should attend this school (or any other school for that matter). I will agree with another review on here regarding the folks who wait in the pick-up lane at ridiculous times of the day. It is pretty obnoxious and unnecessary. Perhaps some of those with that much time, daily could help the school out and put in some volunteer time in and help benefit all. Furthermore, I know some folks are quick to post a complaint and forget, its ok to post something positive. More positivity is needed in this world. With that, I would like to say: Thank you to all the caring teachers, and staff that support this school and all the students under its roof! We appreciate all your hard work and dedication you provide throughout the year. My kids are looking forward to another amazing year! Thank you

Overhills Elementary
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted July 13, 2016
Mrs. Norris and Mrs. Bruno are both amazing teachers. They love what they do and it shows. You can see the love these two have for their students.

Overhills Elementary 4

Posted November 22, 2015
Love the school, the teachers and the atmosphere. Lots of volunteer work available for registered volunteers. The only issue I've ever had is the parking lot. People wait in the car rider line to pick up kids at 315 starting at 1pm!!!! This makes picking up your child early almost impossible. But other then that, amazing school!

Posted April 04, 2015
We have been apart of OES for 5 years. The teachers and staff are amazing! They are warm, always smiling and hard working. The school is beautiful and welcoming.

Posted June 10, 2014
I have had children at this school now for 5 years. I have had nothing but good experiences with the amazing staff. Our teachers every year have been awesome and I know they work very hard to make each child successful. Granted, my children do not have any learning or behavioral issues and are your average run of the mill kids in Elementary School so I do not have to interact with the teachers for any special issues. I think the key to our success has been to be as involved as possible in the school- volunteering, PTO, and supporting those teachers as much as you can. Not having any family around I can't tell you how important it has been to have such loving, kind, caring and friendly faces that go over and above for the students. We are so grateful for the staff that are committed to the school. Yes, in such a transient military community there is turnover of staff but there are also enough permanent staff to make my kids feel safe and happy to go every day. We are very lucky to have a huge support staff too. We are truly blessed to have such a sensible and level- headed principal who is dedicated to student success and a fun learning environment for our kids.

Posted April 09, 2014
My child attends this school for kindergarten. His teacher and the assistant teacher are A-MAZING! Her name is Mrs. Taylor and the assistant teacher is Mrs. Mellish. They are a PHENOMENAL team. I have observed their interaction with not only my child but the other children in the class. They provide the students with direction and structure that is required for a foundation for their education. Being an active parent falls on the parents' responsibility and not the teacher. I am actively engaged in my child's class and participate in their programs without having to be a member of the PTA. I am a full time military parent and find time to be there when volunteers are needed for field trips. They send the children home with a notebook that dictates how the child behaved during the day. Both teachers are easy to approach and talk with if I have a concern or question about my child or their work. I do not see their principal often or even speak with her. In the mornings, I do not have any interaction with her and at times, the office staff can be rude and abrupt regardless if they are busy or not. They are can be rude to both parents and students.

Posted April 03, 2014
Terrible School. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE. The principals do absolutely nothing when you have a concern with something at the school. We will try to get our son on a school on base next year. Note: The teacher is alright, but the class size is also very large.

Overhills Elementary 2

Posted March 05, 2014
Seems that all this school cares about is making money. If it is not box tops it is selling cookie dough, or providing them with a bunch of addresses. As if they don't get enough money from the government already! My kid is there to learn, not be your money maker! That is what my property taxes are for! That is what your PTO is for! Not the children. As for teachers go, I am disappointed in the lack of communication between teachers and teacher's aids. Does the aid run the classroom or the teacher? I have gotten phone calls home to motivate my child! Seriously, how can a fifteen year + experienced teacher not manage these issues? No not all children are the same, find ways to individualize lesson plans to help specific needs!!! This school is terrible.

Posted December 13, 2013
I feel bad for the teachers at this school with three terrible principals/assistant principals putting so much on their shoulders. You can tell the administration makes them uneasy. The principal is horrible. You can't take a horrible principal and put her in a new school to give her a new start. The teachers all hate it there and you can see it in their faces and how the interact with the kids. I hope the district opens up their eyes and get with it and fixes the administration soon!

Posted November 18, 2013
My children attended OES for 1.5 years. We have lived in a lot of different states as a military family and this was by far the worst district we have ever lived in. The school is incredibly over crowded, the teachers are not there because they love to teach, and the principal had extremely poor leadership skills. My oldest child has a 504 plan that the school couldn't manage to follow. He only requires preferential seating and I was told time and time again the trouble makers had to be seated in the front so the teacher could keep an eye on them. Absolutely pathetic, in my opinion. My kindergarten child was behind in reading and when asking for him to be tested for a learning disability I was told that he's reading at a C/D level which is average. And they have too many behavioral issues to deal with average students who are technically passing. My 3rd grader at the time was in a class of 29 students to 1 teacher. After tons of issues regarding the lack of supervision and education and getting nowhere with the teachers or administration, we ended up pulling our children and putting them into private school. This school needs a LOT of improvement.

Overhills Elementary
2626 Ray Rd, Spring Lake, NC  28390
Last modified Overhills Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.