Sylva, NC

Posted May 11, 2014
Wouldn't have wanted to spend the last 4 years anywhere else. Smoky Mountain is a great school, filled with more school spirit than any school I have ever seen. We are well known for having the best basketball "student-section" in Western North Carolina, if not the whole state. Academically, I wouldn't say it is top-notch, but it is what you make it. If you work diligently and take initiative to make a way for yourself, you will be well prepared. But there is a lot of leeway to slack for those who don't choose to do so. My 1 complaint is that the guidance office is more or less useless in the college-prep department. I felt like I was all by myself throughout my process, swamped with applications and ill-informed about scholarship opportunities. But overall, I have had an amazing experience here at SMHS! The sense of community is impeccable and the environment is safe and welcoming. Great stepping stone!

Smoky Mountain High 5

Posted January 14, 2012
Excellent teachers. Great school. I really enjoyed being at SMHS. It was a great experience and I won't forget it.

Posted April 11, 2010
I had two daughters graduate from Smoky Mountain, and I was extremely pleased with their educations. They were both involved with extracurricular activities, which I believe is a key to a high school student feeling school spirit and a sense of belonging to the school community. As in all schools everywhere, some teachers were more involved with the students than others, but both daughters were given opportunities to meet with teachers for extra help if needed, and in some cases, extra credit. Both girls felt safe at school and respected by the staff. I feel very grateful for the high expectations and caring attitude my daughters experienced at Smoky Mountain High.

Smoky Mountain High 2

Posted September 16, 2009
Im a junior this year and i've been here since i was a freshman. I dont really like smoky mountain too much. I think that the staff here expects too much out of the students. I think that they think we are all suppossed to be perfect. There is a few things i would change about the school.

Smoky Mountain High 5

Posted June 15, 2009
This school is AWESOME! I was the new kid my freshman year and everyone was so welcoming! Alot of the teachers are really good and dedicated.

Posted March 24, 2009
I think Smoky Mountain has the potential to be an outstanding high school given some much needed parental and community support.

Smoky Mountain High 3

Posted November 17, 2008
I am a junior this year at Smoky Mountain, and feel that although this school could definitely use a lot work, it's no doubt still a great place learn. As far as academics go, it doesn't offer a lot, in fact this year we only offered two AP courses. However, this makes it all the easier to stand out. With fewer high achieving students, your rank will really soar. The school could not be better placed next to WCU, which offers TONS of opportunities for students like camps, scholarships, concerts, workshops, etc. Smoky Mountain High School is truly a school that is what you make of it. If you work yourself and seek out new opportunities, you'll find rewards, but if you only do what you see, then you'll just be like all the other who complain about it.

Smoky Mountain High 2

Posted October 30, 2008
I am in agreement with everyone who believes that SMH is in serious need of reform. The administration cannot handle the students, I understand there are fights occuring frequently, too much attention is paid to sports and not enough on academics, the building is filthy, class size is too big and student support from social workers, guidnace counselors..etc is just not there. I am also concerned that illegal drug use on campus might be a problem. Where is our SRO and what does he do when he is there?

Posted October 29, 2008
Except for a very, very, very poor guidance department in helping us prepare for college admissions/scholarships, I have felt good about the rest of my child's experience at SMHS.

Smoky Mountain High

Posted April 09, 2008
I will be graduating from Smoky Mountain High School next year in the spring of 2009. I am currently a junior there, and in my 3 years, I have felt pretty content in the school. I believe that, particularly on the newly assembled administration with Principal Grisson, our school has overall gained a lot of respect, become more organized (well more so than the absolute mess that it was before) and the students are better disiplined. I am and honors student, and take a majority of higher-level classes, that I have never had a problem with them not being available to me. However, I do feel as though there were some classes with a few select teachers, that I feel a student could get a better education in. The students, for the most part, are pretty well behaved and the school is pretty well maintained and cleaned. Overall, I LOVE IT.

Smoky Mountain High
100 Great Smoky Mountain Expressway, Sylva, NC  28779
Last modified Smoky Mountain High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smoky Mountain High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top