Posted May 11, 2014
Wouldn't have wanted to spend the last 4 years anywhere else. Smoky Mountain is a great school, filled with more school spirit than any school I have ever seen. We are well known for having the best basketball "student-section" in Western North Carolina, if not the whole state. Academically, I wouldn't say it is top-notch, but it is what you make it. If you work diligently and take initiative to make a way for yourself, you will be well prepared. But there is a lot of leeway to slack for those who don't choose to do so. My 1 complaint is that the guidance office is more or less useless in the college-prep department. I felt like I was all by myself throughout my process, swamped with applications and ill-informed about scholarship opportunities. But overall, I have had an amazing experience here at SMHS! The sense of community is impeccable and the environment is safe and welcoming. Great stepping stone!

Posted January 14, 2012
Excellent teachers. Great school. I really enjoyed being at SMHS. It was a great experience and I won't forget it.

Posted April 11, 2010
I had two daughters graduate from Smoky Mountain, and I was extremely pleased with their educations. They were both involved with extracurricular activities, which I believe is a key to a high school student feeling school spirit and a sense of belonging to the school community. As in all schools everywhere, some teachers were more involved with the students than others, but both daughters were given opportunities to meet with teachers for extra help if needed, and in some cases, extra credit. Both girls felt safe at school and respected by the staff. I feel very grateful for the high expectations and caring attitude my daughters experienced at Smoky Mountain High.

Smoky Mountain High 2

Posted September 16, 2009
Im a junior this year and i've been here since i was a freshman. I dont really like smoky mountain too much. I think that the staff here expects too much out of the students. I think that they think we are all suppossed to be perfect. There is a few things i would change about the school.

Posted August 26, 2009

Posted June 15, 2009
This school is AWESOME! I was the new kid my freshman year and everyone was so welcoming! Alot of the teachers are really good and dedicated.

Posted March 24, 2009
I think Smoky Mountain has the potential to be an outstanding high school given some much needed parental and community support.

Smoky Mountain High 0

Sylva, NC 28779

School website

Smoky Mountain High
100 Great Smoky Mountain Expressway, Sylva, NC  28779
Last modified Smoky Mountain High is a public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smoky Mountain High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 43 reviews.