Sandy Ridge Elementary School 3

Posted January 10, 2013
The current principal started last year, which was our first year. I question a few things she has done. Because the school is growing, she decided to pull children out of their class four full months into the school year last year to reduce class sizes ( just as these children got settled they get to start all over). I understand the need for smaller classes but waiting 4 months to do it is insane. She also has no communication skills. I went to a family fun night because I thought it would be a good time to meet this new principal (which was advertised in the flyer that came home) and I went up to her and she just blankly stood there as if she would rather be home sleeping or something. Yesterday, I was at the school and this principal saw me from about 25 feet away and as we got closer to each other instead of looking at me and saying hello or at least smiling to acknowledge me she decided to look down at the ground. This year my child was physically bullied and the principal had not made the child's parents aware of the incident (had my child not tell me about it I would never have known either). She doesn't get my vote as principal of the year (two years in a row)

Posted September 24, 2012
My son attended this school in first grade and literally had nightmares about it for over a year after we pulled him out. I now live in another state and when I tell people here what we went through jaws drop. It is hard to even express the level of disrespect, the lack of professionalism and the degree of abuse in which the staff operates. This is definitely not a healthy environment for children. Run, don't walk away from this place!

Sandy Ridge Elementary School 3

Posted September 14, 2012
This is our second year at Sandy Ridge and Union County Public Schools. Prior to that we were in Mecklenburg County and then the last 7 years in Collier County FL. I read the other reviews prior to responding and feel there is a lot of truth in the feedback. We are currently experiencing some of the issues mentioned. I don't feel my child is challenged, his home work is quick and doesn't require much thought. I do believe the required testing takes up valuable teaching time. I do believe the school is run in a non-emotional environment in an effort to easily control the masses and cut down on the bullying by limiting interactions. In the long run it doesn't teach them valuable life skills.. I strongly believe socializing in and out of school is a life lesson and should be encouraged, not discouraged and punished. I would like to see the school use the feedback collected here to reassess their strengths and improve on a better environment for our children.

Posted August 12, 2012
My kids have had the pleasure of attending Sandy Ridge for the past 3 years. We have had a principal turnover and a few teachers come and go, but throughout my experience at Sandy Ridge parental involvement has been strong and the quality of the teachers and administrators has been outstanding. I love my kids' school and would strongly recommend to anyone thinking of sending their kids there. Sandy Ridge demands a lot from its students, but the teachers are very supportive and go out of their way to make sure every student is developing good study habits.

Posted September 25, 2011
We moved from SRES last year to New Jersey, but I have to admit that SRES is an excellent school. The AIG program is fantastic there and I miss that here in NJ!! The teachers here in NJ said my daughter adjusted easily to a difficult curriculum here in NJ, not knowing about SRES standards and AIG program!!!!!!

Sandy Ridge Elementary School 4

Posted May 20, 2011
This is our last year at Sandy Ridge, my daughter will be starting Middle School this fall. We have had a very positive experience at SR. Mr Childers is an excellent principal. We have been very fortunate to have had great teachers, with the exception of one year. Our 5th grade math and science teacher has been fantastic. Overall, I would give this school very high marks. Keep up the good work Mr Childers and the staff!

Sandy Ridge Elementary School 4

Posted May 19, 2011
My children have been happy at Sandy Ridge. Neither has had any issues with the school being too strict. As far as pulling "cards" - even my perfectionist child does not find this system to be a problem, since they get to start over daily (enforcement varies greatly by teacher as is typical in most schools.). Besides, who wants a classroom of 25 kids "freely expressing" themselves all at the same time? My shy daughter has made plenty of friends at school and has time to chat with them at recess or the second half of lunch. Our experience is that Tom Childers takes very seriously the individual needs of each child. Each year you get to fill out a questionnaire about your child - your chance to "request" a certain type of teacher (not by name but by teaching style that works for your child.) Academics- our children are in the AIG (gifted) program and the (Singapore) Math program is very strong-wish they had AIG for all subjects. They take EOG standardized tests seriously because of the implications if they don t. This school is probably as good as you are going to get around here unless you spend the $10-20K for private school ($3K-13 more than public schools has to work with.)

Posted February 04, 2011
Sandy Ridge Elementary is indeed strict--it is not a country club. There are high expectations for learning here. This place is a blue ribbon school for a reason! My child enjoys going to school each day, and yep--he gets card pulls. It's all how parents address these tickets at home that can either make learning here stressful or you go with the flow. Kids are kids and often have a hard time focusing or staying on task. If your child comes home with a card pull, you should understand that they are like most of the other kids at SR. Don't take the cards so seriously, our teacher gives them to my son (and most others in the class) but he comes home with great grades on his report card, etc. Parents need to chill out with these cards--they are not the end of the world. We've been at this school since the beginning, and have not seen a decrease in quality. Overall, this a top-notch school. It isn't perfect, but it's as good as it gets for free education in the U.S. We feel pretty lucky to have our kids go here and not have to pay a dime for it. It's elementary school, people! Our kids have a long way to go before we get all twisted up about a few cards and other minor things.

Posted September 26, 2010
My daughter was at this school a few years ago. when it first opened it was the greatest year my daughter has ever had. by the time she was about to graduate, the school was like a military compound. I agree with the person bellow me. no free expression aloud. ridiculous. no reason for it. these were well behaved children and now they are stifled. all the good teachers got transfered and left the school. I don't know what its like that. the better choice is Rea View in that area.

Posted September 22, 2010
People always make the mistake of thinking a school is itself good or bad. the 10 schools are excellent because of the children that go there. airlift the school into downtown charlotte and lets see the test scores. that being said, this is not the school for open, free spirited children. don't think your child will meet any kids here because they are essentially unable to speak, look at, or smile at another child without drawing the card. can't speak in the bathroom, don't dare get too close to the walls and touch them(cards) . just sit for six hours (this is kindergarten) and fold your hands, don't move and do as the teachers tell you. do not squirm or you will draw a card. i originally couldn't understand why so many neighbors had all their kids at latin school and paid for education, now i see why.

Sandy Ridge Elementary School
10101 Waxhaw Manor Drive, Waxhaw, NC  28173
Last modified Sandy Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandy Ridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews.