Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

I think the school TRIES to deal with bullying, but sometimes the administration misses the occurrences. I would even suggest that one administrator fits the definition of a bully in the way that he treats the students; thereby, modeling bad behavior for the student body. The cliques of athletes, nerds, and band kids all still exist. There doesn't seem to be any outright violence or attacks, but there is definitely intimidation, teasing, and rude behavior toward those that don't quite fit in.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I think that students on the high end of the learning spectrum and those with learning disabilities get a lot of support. I think that the students in the middle or average range; however, sometimes get lost in the shuffle at such a large school.

Effective school leaders: Agree

In the 4 years that my children have attended Cuthbertson, there have been four different principals. This, I believe, is a problem. There is also high teacher turnover, which makes it difficult for the students to have consistency. That said, the students are well-behaved, the school is immaculate, and the administrators are visible around the school consistently. The district just promoted an Assistant Principal to Principal, who we anticipate being a great Principal that will stick around for a while.

Develops character: Agree

This school spends a good amount of time teaching the students how to recognize bullying and to respect one another. They have a variety of programs to recognize and reward good citizenship, compassion, and hard work.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Most of my children's teachers have been excellent. They are knowledgeable in the subject matter, but also in how to teach middle school students. As in any school, there have been a few that were less than stellar, but that is the nature of education. You will sometimes have a bad experience.

Amount of homework: Neutral

I think the amount of homework is reasonable for the age group. What I think that the school could improve upon is communication about homework between school and home.

I noticed that the reviews were fairly old, so I thought I would provide a more recent view of CMS. My daughter finished here in 2015 and now my son attends. I have actively volunteered since my daughter was in 6th grade. Our family really likes CMS! We have been pleased with most of the teachers and the education that our children have received. I would agree with the comment about EOG testing. I've never believed that tests prove that any student has learned a thing, but I understand that the state puts heavy emphasis on these tests, so the schools feel compelled to "drill" the students on test-taking strategies. I would also agree with the comment regarding outdated websites and teacher communication, which is why I rated the school 4 stars. My experience is that a well-organized, self-motivated student will do great. A student who struggles with organization ( typical of many middle schoolers) will have more difficulty. We found the 6th grade teachers to be the most difficult to work with when my son found it hard to adjust to the expectations of middle school. One language arts teacher, essentially, told us he would have to figure it out, period. No wiggle room, no late work, no exceptions. I understand the need to teach students about responsibility, but my understanding is that the whole point of middle school is to TEACH these things. Simply giving zeros to a first term 6th grader is not teaching. Despite these exceptions, though, we've have good things to say about CMS. What I love about the school is the administration, the community feeling, and the school spirit. There are numerous extracurricular activities for the students, and truthfully, something for everyone.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The kids have a lot of home work. Some times too much. I'm not sure how they can address this. But with school, sports and after school activity's it gets hard. I hear the same from weddington parents as well.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My son and now my daughter goes to Cuthbertson middle school. My son did great and my daughter has had some learning difficulty's. I'm very proud of the teachers that have jumped in and made a plan for her and her grades have gotten better every semester. Love the school and the energy it brings to the community.

The entrance to the school is immaculate and welcoming. A Volunteer may greet so you can sign in and asked to wear a Visitor's Badge. CMS prides itself in protection of students and staff. The friendly office personnel display excellent professionalism You will notice exceptional Art created by the students and the band may be filling the halls with music. At the Gymnasium you can witness various activiites. The entire school is bright and cheerful because of the custodial staff striving for cleanliness. There are many choices of foods in the Cafeteria. In the Media Center students are working on computers, checking out and reading books and a learning experience being conducted by the Media Specialist. The students have an air of friendliness with their smiles and it is obvious these students enjoy being at Cuthbertson Middle School. They are privileged students partaking in many aspects of education taught by top notch educators. The School Administrators are readily available to resolve any situtation which may arise. The school consists of one BIG FAMILY all working together.

Last modified Cuthbertson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.