Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 27, 2016
I wouldn't say the teachers at all but the principle is the most unprofessional person I have ever come across.

Posted August 26, 2015
We moved to Waynesville in March of 2015. We were amazed how professional and compassionate the teachers and principal were. They genuinely care for their students and their academic level of achievement through a focus on reading is excellent. Our daughter started Kindergarten and her teachers even came to our home to welcome her and help her know what to expect. They are amazing.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 26, 2015
They are amazing. You can tell the teachers are well-trained yet they're open to learning more and desire to make accommodations for kids with special needs.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 26, 2015
I don't think schools should assign to much homework as the kids are in school for so long each day. From what I've seen they seem to have a good balance.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 26, 2015
There's no fool-proof way to encourage students, but they provide a supportive environment and their teachers qualifications are second to none.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 26, 2015
All students are expected to show respect both to teachers and to other students. They discourage any bullying which I found was a huge improvement to other elementary schools I've seen previously.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 26, 2015
Teachers are great examples of being compassion and patient. I would recommend this school to anyone lucky enough to be able to attend.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 26, 2015
The teachers at Junaluska are supportive and patient when helping our kids make choices. They are consistent and in our opinion are fair with consequences.

Posted September 04, 2013
This is my favorite school by far.! We moved to the area in February of this year. My son has an autism spectrum disorder, but is also highly gifted. This staff has bent over backwards to acomidate his special situation and educational needs. The teachers and principal are fantastic, and have different but great and educational teaching styles. I love walking in and hear the students asking to read book sin stead of sit and daydream or doodle. They are a large part of the community and are always war and welcoming both in the school and public off campus settings. If I could wish anything for this school it would be funding for more staff. Their nurse is only there one day a week for maybe 4 hrs (est.). There is NO resource officer on this campus which does also bother me, but they do have safety measures in place for added protection. I would like there to be a gifted teacher on staff full time, or at least more than 2/30 minute enrichment sessions every other week.

Posted December 31, 2010
Our 3 children started this school in the fall of 2010 and we have been very pleasantly surprised at what a great school this is. Children who do well academically are very much rewarded (under the new principal) and encouraged to excel. Our son, who is a year ahead and in the academically gifted program just loves it. His teacher, realizing that she had an unusually high number of "smart" kids in her class this year actually went out and got books and educated herself on how to engage and challenge these kids while still properly serving her other kids. We give Junaluska Elementary five stars - and we are picky parents!

2238 Asheville Rd, Waynesville, NC  28786
Last modified Junaluska Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.