Posted September 04, 2013
This is my favorite school by far.! We moved to the area in February of this year. My son has an autism spectrum disorder, but is also highly gifted. This staff has bent over backwards to acomidate his special situation and educational needs. The teachers and principal are fantastic, and have different but great and educational teaching styles. I love walking in and hear the students asking to read book sin stead of sit and daydream or doodle. They are a large part of the community and are always war and welcoming both in the school and public off campus settings. If I could wish anything for this school it would be funding for more staff. Their nurse is only there one day a week for maybe 4 hrs (est.). There is NO resource officer on this campus which does also bother me, but they do have safety measures in place for added protection. I would like there to be a gifted teacher on staff full time, or at least more than 2/30 minute enrichment sessions every other week.

Posted December 31, 2010
Our 3 children started this school in the fall of 2010 and we have been very pleasantly surprised at what a great school this is. Children who do well academically are very much rewarded (under the new principal) and encouraged to excel. Our son, who is a year ahead and in the academically gifted program just loves it. His teacher, realizing that she had an unusually high number of "smart" kids in her class this year actually went out and got books and educated herself on how to engage and challenge these kids while still properly serving her other kids. We give Junaluska Elementary five stars - and we are picky parents!

Junaluska Elementary 3

Posted April 27, 2010
Principal Leadership is horrible. The Principal actually believes it's not a good idea to reward children for doing well in school. She says 'children shouldn't be rewarded for doing what they're supposed to be doing'. Yet, she believes that children who don't do so well, should be given opportunities to do better. For example, children who don't do well in school and have bad conduct hold student governent positions and are made bus monitors. Unbelievable!!!! This isn't how the real world works. She's not helping to prepare our children to go out and be successful. She's teaching our children there's no reason to try and do well, because it just doesn't matter. I still believe children who do well academically should be rewarded. I'm so happy she's retiring.

Junaluska Elementary 2

Posted October 30, 2009

Posted April 29, 2009
This school encourages parent/ grandparent involvement more than any my children have attended. Therefore there is better communication in how your child can reach his highest potential. Teachers and the principal really care and don't view this just as a job.

Junaluska Elementary 0

Posted August 10, 2008
i have 2 children who go to junaluska one going to 5th and one going to 4th they both have gone there since kindergarden and they love it and so do i the teachers and all faculty members are so great

Posted May 28, 2008
This is a wonderful school. We are new to the school this year and I was very nervous about the change. My children were at a great school prior to this year and I thought that we would be disappointed. Juanluska Elementary is anything but a disappointment. My children have had a fabulous school year and have seen tremendous growth in their education. I could not be happier!

Posted January 24, 2008

Posted August 03, 2006

Posted March 19, 2004
This is a wonderful school with many experienced teachers! The principal is very dedicated and the school also reaps the benefits of an active PTO and many volunteers. The school offers many innovative programs such as multi-age classrooms, rotating classes (5th grade), work with master gardeners, and many visiting experts who enrich the curriculum.

Junaluska Elementary
2238 Asheville Road, Waynesville, NC  28786
Last modified Junaluska Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Junaluska Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews.