Bad
Good

I actually wish I could give this school a 0. If you are looking for a school for your child that is Special Needs this is not the school. They act like they do not have time for your child. When you need to talk to someone in the Special Education Department no one returns your call. You can call every day and leave massages and the will just simply listen to your message and that will be as far as it goes. Took over 3 weeks to get my child back in school. The person in-charge of the special education department listen to my message then when I finally got in contact with her she says to me "oh, your voice sounds familiar, I heard it on the answering !!" Then why would she not call someone back if she knew I needed her immediate assistance? The lady that works in the Guidance Office very unprofessional. Here I am filling out paper work, for her to put me on hold because she is on the phone talking about how somebody is dressed on facebook . If you are thinking of putting your child in this school and your child is special needs I would totally think again

New Hanover High School has a great honors courses and AP courses for the students

What a difference a year makes. Two of my children attend NHHS now, and I could not be more pleased. The new principal has come on to the scene with great ideas to motivate staff and students. The school is safer, cleaner, and doing much better across the board. The freshman academy has been amazing, and the teachers have made the difference for my children. I have read some of the negative reviews, and I can't argue that they were correct if hey were talking about the school's past. However, our family has witnessed the transformation and would rate the school at 6 stars if we could.

WILDCAT NATION. <> Diamonds are forever. I am a student of New Hanover; & the teachers are amazing. The school has roaches like every other school -.- There are not many fights nor lock downs. Students complain for no reason; except when they wanna leave. I am a proud WILDCATTTTTT.

My child went here for her freshman year, and hated it. Even with all her friends there, she is leaving. Reasons: a)one of her teachers jokes about being racist, and often jokes that he is on drugs. b) Fights breaking out in the halls (not silly fights either.) 3) In her gym class, they forced them to run up and down steep bleachers; this would have been normal, but they are insanely steep, and even when a kid fell down, the teacher made everyone just keep going. 4) disgusting rats and cockroaches 5) lack of AC in most rooms 6) consent lock downs 7) the teachers don't seem to care a bit for any student. The list goes on and on.

My son currently attends this school, even though we are trying to do everything in our power to get him to transfer out. Academically, the school is a travesty. He is bored beyond belief, yet refuses to leave because "all my friends are there." It does not seem possible for him to actually flunk out; they just keep moving people on. The school is terrible at communicating with parents; technologically they seem to be stuck somewhere in the late 90s. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to email a counselor or administrator or coach to get a question answered only to be ignored for weeks if not longer. About half the teachers seem to check their email on a regular basis, in my experience. The school does have an advanced program for juniors and seniors who plan to do more with their lives than work at Wal-Mart and Chick-Fil-A, and they plan to extend that to freshmen and sophomores soon. That is the only reason to go there -- that, or if you're a really good basketball player (they won the state championship last year -- woo hoo.) We don't know what that's really like, and probably won't ever know, because my son screwed the pooch and failed to get in. Sigh.

I have to agree with the parent who said that it is extremely difficult to contact the teachers and administrative staff when there is a problem. I had two children at that school. My younger child transferred after his 2nd year there, and I was so pleased. When I would visit the office (keeping in mind that I work full time), often I would still not be able to get assistance. There would be several volunteers in the office who could not answer my questions nor did they have any authority.

I just started this school last sumester and the teachers dont care if u pass or not. I hate this school.

I graduated from New Hanover High in 2005 and am now in my senior year of college at NC State University in Raleigh. I can say without a doubt that NHHS is the main reason I have had such a successful college career. I originally started out as a freshman from Ashley High and immediately transferred my second semester due to the inattentive and biased staff at that school. That trade saved me. I was able to find a true community at Hanover. The diversity is absolutely amazing and the school spirit is unlike any other school in the county. Because the school is enriched in history and pride, students graduate knowing that they have had the true high school experience. If you are a parent who is searching for the best school for your child, I high recommend NHHS!

I would say this school is unique in that it gives the student a direction to go in after they graduate.

Last modified New Hanover High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.