Bad
Good

I am a parent and I serve on the PTSO Board. The previous reviews complaining about our new principal, Dr. Pinto, are ridiculous. When reading them, please observe that they were written mere days after the start of this school year, before the effectiveness of any changes could be measured. Dr. Pinto has done a remarkable job thus far, particularly in her efforts to increase communication with parents and students, to improve the safety and effectiveness of drop-off/pick-up and to enhance the quality of curriculum and programs available to our students. She absolutely values the feedback of parents and students. Roland Grise is a wonderful school. The teachers and staff are phenomenal. We are quite pleased with the experience that our student is having. Go Knights!

Things have definitely changed with the new principal. We were looking forward to a great experience, esp when it came to the AIG program, but it's gone. Replaced by what they call "clustering", meaning they try to attend to students with different needs in one classroom, rather than grouping them separately in any way. Extremely demanding of the teachers, yet way less effective than what they had before. At the same time, the foul language, bullying and negative attitudes of some students on the buses, during recess, and also in the classrooms are alive and well.

Dr Pinto walks in and changes the curriculum without giving parents the opportunity to pursue open enrollment at another public middle school or move our children to a private school. By combining children in 1 classroom with different abilities and different behavioral issues, we are certain to fail the educational goals of most if not all of the children, as the future test scores will likely reflect this misguided attempt. Great job taking a very successful school and turning it into a disaster. This experiment was tried before at RG and FAILED. Using this model, all students who try out for a sports team at RG should be allowed to play - no sense awarding positions to players who are the most talented. We all miss Mr. Hatch. This could possibly be another self-serving deal orchestrated by Dr. Markley at the expense of our children.

My child is in 6th grade this year (2013-2014). She is having a great experience. She enjoys her teachers, she is challenged and has enjoyed taking part in extracurricular activities. The principal is responsive and approachable.

I have two children at Roland Grise. My oldest is an "A" student .My Youngest started the year A,B,C, D, student.He is currently holding A and B average.It is my job to make sure my children get there work done and study.I find that it is very convenient to blame the school for our children bad habits and grades.How we could possible blame the school for our children's social habits is beyond me.I have noticed most of the complaints have come from families new to our community.Get back in your car and point the front bumper north.We have a great thing going on in New Hanover county.

Great teachers and staff, old building, don't like office staff. This school is great, except it was built in 1966, so it is a bit old. Also, the office people are grumpy whenever I go in. Amazing, AIG and gifted services.

I love Roland-Grise. MY daughter was slightly behind when we moved here at the beginning of the school year, and the teachers went above and beyond to help here get caught. They really encourage parents to get involved and help out.

RG is a great middle school! We have been very pleased with all aspects of her education. All middle schools can be challenging but I think the administration does a great job keeping each grade level apart from others. Things seem to be just getting better as the years go by. We currently have 2 children attending.

My daughter is in the AIG (gifted) program at RG. My husband and I are more than impressed with the educational instruction. There are some behavioral issues outside of the classroom (fighting in the school yard, bullying on the bus, etc) but no more than in any middle school. My daughter loves RG.

We had a horrible experience with Administration during the time our child was supposed to attend RG in 2006, requiring that we move to a private school. Discipline issues were not being addressed at RG as promised & our child was subject to unnecessary punishment. Three years later, I am here to say that our child is excelling in all subjects & was just inducted into the Beta Club, a select group. The teachers in the private school have guided her in developing incredible study skills which will prove beneficial as she moves forward in the education path. I sadly doubt this would have occurred at RG. We made the right decision to move her from RG. Maybe the RG Adm needs to consider parents' concerns more seriously. Middle school years are crucial years in study habit/skills development.

Last modified Roland-Grise Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.