Posted June 05, 2013
I love sunset park elementary. My son is just about finished up with kindergarten, we had a great experience! Love his teachers, they really helped him grow this past year! The security is great, doors are locked at all times.Their drop-off and pick-up procedure is wonderful-very professional! The staff works very hard to ensure our children are learning and get exercise as well! Thankful Sunset Park is our school :]

Posted April 22, 2012
My daughter loves this school and the teachers are very 1 on 1. This school pushes children to their full potential.

Sunset Park Elementary 0

Posted October 01, 2009
I am a parent/pta president. I love my school because of everyone that works and every student in that school. Sunset park is the kind of school that you can call everyone in there is family. What makes our school is the loving pricipal and assistant principal that make you want to just stay all day and help everyone that needs help.

Posted March 28, 2008
My child goes to Sunset Park. She loves the school and her teachers. The teachers there are doing the absolute best they can with what they have. They have not received many updates or resources for the school in quite a while. I agree that this is due to the lack of support from the New Hanover County School Board. Those people need to pay this school a visit to see first hand what these teachers are doing with the few things that they have. Imagine what they could do with more resources. To address the review from Janurary 20th, they are in the process of adding onto the school. I have heard that the addition will include a gym, more classrooms, and a new media center. The faculty and staff at Sunset are great at what they do and it really shows. You should check them out!!

Posted March 20, 2008
My child has been attending Sunset Park for only one year. He has shown growth in all areas. The staff and principals work to make sure that each child's individual goals are met. They provide opportunties for the children to work in small groups. From what I have seen I've noticed the teachers praise each child based on the talents that they bring to the classroom community. The school lacks resources for extra activities. This is not based on the leadership within the school building but the leadership of the elected officals that serve on the New Hanover County School Board. If you have questions about the quality of education that the students receive you should visit the school and see first hand the positive learning experience that the teachers provide for the children. I am proud to say that I am a Parent of a Student at Sunset Park!

Sunset Park Elementary 4

Posted February 15, 2008
I am concerned by the review posted on Jan. 20, 2008. I feel that Sunset Park is a good school. The teachers at this school work hard and with limited materials. The administration and teachers work with the budgeted materials and facilities that the school board gives them. Many of the teachers supply things with their own money. My child could go to another school, but I choose for her to be taught by the excellent teachers at the school. As for communication between parents and administration I always feel that I am well informed. Every night a home/school communicator comes home with my child with information for me. Academic events of the school are communicated, but not well attended. Every school has room to grow and improve and I believe Sunset Park strives daily to be the place that children succeed.

Sunset Park Elementary 2

Posted January 20, 2008
If you are considering sending your child to Sunset park you may want to think twice. The leadership at the school does not effectively communicate with parents and despite what they claim they do not encourage parent involvement. The school has no gym or the proper facilites to accomodate parents and guests at school functions. There are a few good teachers there, but there are also a lot of teachers who aren't very good so it's a gamble whether or not you will end up will a descent instuctor. All in all this school needs some major improvements starting from the principle down. The buses are also unsafe and the leadership does not respond to complaints about bus safety. Hopefully, in the near future Sunset Park will take the necessary steps towards improving each child's educational experience.

Sunset Park Elementary 3

Posted May 15, 2005
This school, although has a great level of parent communication, lacks many of the programs nessesary for special needs students. It has a great acedemic program but that is pretty much where it ends. This school has strong leadership and a diversified staff and student population but does not have the training to correctly handle some of the problems that arise because of that diversity. I believe that this school is half way to where it needs to be in order to fully serve then needs of it's students and the community.

Contact Information

613 Alabama Avenue
Wilmington, NC 28401

School website

Sunset Park Elementary
613 Alabama Avenue, Wilmington, NC  28401
Last modified Sunset Park Elementary is a public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunset Park Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews.