Wilmington Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 800 students

Teaching the pursuit of spiritual, academic, physical and social excellence.

Living in Wilmington

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Sweep tile

Posted June 10, 2013

WCA is a wonderful school! My niece has just blossomed since starting at the school as a four year old (she is an 8th grader now). The school has equipped her not only academically, but more importantly spiritually as she becomes a young Christian woman. Keeping her at this school has become a priority for our family and I am so thankful for the faculty and staff that work so hard to disciple the children that WCA and equip them for their future!!

Posted March 8, 2013

I randomly came on this site and saw several negative comments and I feel like those comments give the wrong view of WCA. I went to WCA from K4 all the way through high school and loved it! The leadership is excellent. I graduated 4 years ago and have seen many changes to improve technology, program, and student body spirit. Some of the godliest people I have ever met are the teachers and staff at WCA. Many of the teachers became my mentors. I knew I could talk to them after school hours about any spiritual or personal issue I was dealing with. To give a realistic view, I did not have a positive experience with every teacher, but overall I was able to establish personal relationships with the staff, faculty, and administration. Academically I received an excellent education and I was more prepared for college then most of the freshman at my university. WCA also has an excellent fine arts, sports, and community outreach program which I had the opportunity to participate in. WCA encourages their students to become well-rounded individuals and to love the Lord. I would definitely recommend WCA!

Posted February 6, 2013

So thankful for WCA! My son has attended since the age of 4 (over 7 years now) and I cannot express how impressed I am with the administration, faculty and staff at the school. Christ is truly exemplified though academics, athletics and extra curricular activities. Can't imagine having my son attend anywhere else!!

Posted November 13, 2012

We had two children attend WCA after moving to Wilmington. Our youngest had a good first year in the fifth grade. However, her middle school years were not as you would think they would be at a Christian school. Each day she was bullied in the locker room by girls who would ask her over and over about religious issues; like which church did she attend, and did she believe in god, etc.. In addition, she had one of her "friends" text and call her nightly trying to get drama started. I would have to tell my daughter to ignore the calls and messages each evening and pretend that she did not receive them at school the next day. In addition, every day when I would pick her up from school we would have to have a session in the car where I reminded her to forgive other students poor behavior by staying polite and avoid others who did not know how to behave as Christians. Several times things that belonged to my daughter would be taken by other students, mostly school supplies. And then there was the cheating on tests by other students that I would have to hear about as well . We chose another option for high school.

Posted June 15, 2012

If you want a Christ-centered, academically challenging learning environment for your child, then Wilmington Christian Academy is the place for you! As a staff member, I know that WCA has faithfully served the Wilmington community for over 43 years and plans to continue strong in the years to come. What better testimony for any work place than that a high majority of alumni have grown up and graduated from WCA, pursued their credentials at the post secondary and graduate levels and then ELECTED to return to their Alma mater to work and raise their OWN children at WCA. Honestly, there is no greater testimony than that! I am so thankful for WCA and feel truly humbled and honored to work in such a wonderful place.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 20, 2012

Academically, this school is on top of things. If you send your kids here, they're challenged. The school offers a variety of sports and activities and I've no doubt any student would be academically prepared for college with extracurriculars under his/her belt as well. However, some of the teachers are obviously burned out. While there are a handful of loving, genuinely concerned teachers, many lack communication skills with parents and seem irritated by the students (and often convey that quite clearly). I've seen a fair amount of legalism among some of the younger bible teachers as well. While it's easy to lean on our own convictions, it's so important to stick with what God's word actually says. We're disappointed in the lack of Christilike love shown from a large portion of the staff. To be fair, this was just our experience and others have been happy here. Members of Grace Baptist seem to have a much better experience.

Posted April 19, 2012

This school provides great test results overall, and my child got a good foundation there for the first couple of years in school. However, 4th grade needs serious restructuring as the female teacher involved is rude, discouraging and caused serious concerns for us as parents. We have NEVER had our child, who is gifted & a great asset to any school, feel so defeated before. There were also "bullying" issues that weren't really addressed, but instead swept under the rug. It's a shame, because they really do focus on academics. Unfortunately, schooling is more than just academics. It's an overall experience that will mold your child for life. Hopefully, the Headmasters will consider some changes for the best.

Posted January 16, 2011

I have two daughters who have attended WCA for their entire educational career. I would have it no other way. The godly teachers care for all of their students. I have been able to talk to any teacher or administrator until my concerns were solved. I would not send my child to any other place in Wilmington. WCA is a GREAT place to educate your child with no worries.

Posted May 24, 2010

Our son has been attending this school since he was in K5 kindergarten. He has learned so much academically and bibically. My son has several friends in public schools, and he is much more advanced. The curriculm is great, and is teaching them the basics that they need for life. There is so much parent involvement, and the teachers and staff are great. They always take the opportunity to talk to you if you have concerns or just want to see how things are going. It is a small school and you really know what is going on. God has really blessed this school for 40 years because of the standards they hold. I love the fact that they can and do discipline and hold each child responsible for their actions. This school is great academically, biblically, and teaches character, which is what our society is lacking these days. Thanks!!

Posted May 1, 2010

my daughter has been going to this school since 1st grade, and now she is in 5th. the teaching is very good, espcially in Bible. but its seems more like this school lets your kids have no freedom. my daughter hates the uniforms, and alot of the kids are so spoiled, and dont even go to church! in 2nd grade her teacher was so mean to her, she forced her to stay when she had a 106 temp. plus the cost is very expensive. She is now going to a public school, and loves it. the kids also talk about inapropriate things! and her friend got beat up out of a rumor! i was so mad when i heard when the teachers didnt do anything about it! ! i would not recomend this school to anyone!

Posted December 10, 2009

I just started my son in the K3 program, and cannot go on enough about how much he loves it! The teachers are great, and you can tell they really enjoy what they do instead of dreading their job ! I was really excited that they interact with the parents and family as much as they do, with grandparents day, parents day and all the festivals and activities. You feel more like a family then a school which is what was so important to me. Overall this is where I know we will stay for years to come !

Posted August 5, 2009

I started my oldest child in K-5 when we first moved to Wilmington, thinking we would transfer to a public school once we were settled. However, after experiencing the loving yet high standards and incredible education, no other school could compare! Our son is far advanced in reading, math, english, spanish (all subjects) in comparison to his friends in the same grade in public schools. Most importantly all of this is in an environment that honors God! There is no better school. I believe that the Lord moved us here just so our children could attend WCA.

Posted March 25, 2009

We sent out two elementary kids to this school and after two weeks we pulled them out. I was hoping for a grace-filled Christian school, but it is more resembles a military style school. This did not suit our needs, it may for you, but parents should be alerted of this. None of our fees were refundable, so we spent about $1000 to have our kids there for 2 stressful weeks.

Posted March 11, 2009

There is never a perfect school anywhere but if you are looking for a Conservative Christian atmosphere that embraces structure in today's ever evolving moires this is your place. Teachers have been very friendly and my kids admire them for their commitment to serving them and God . We were at another private school for 5 years and it could best be described as 'more drama for your mamma'. Please know... That the bible is taught from a dispensational perspective ( no charismatic or mamby pamby liberal views ) , Contemporary music is not encouraged (no rap no ccm crap)and dress is modest and conservative. These are not all bad things in my world but for some others they may have issues with the structure. To Sum it Up WCA 'Where Men are Men and Women are Women'

Posted August 15, 2008

I have been a student and am now a parent. I will say this about WCA... a child attending the school is in the safest possible academic atmosphere in NHC. Although the teachers may seem rigid, they have loved many a child through graduation. Sometimes the obvious is missed and the small is taken to the extreme, but all in all the end justifies the means. As a student, ofcourse you cant believe what pettiness you go through, but as an adult, you look back and value the experience. I will say this as well...academically, you will be prepared for any university level work, but you will be completely unprepared for the social change from a small christian school to a secular world.

Posted January 10, 2008

I beleive the HS does little to promote individuality and absolutely does not embrace children unconditionally. It has also been my experience that many of the HS staff have different ideas on morals that are not necessarily bible based.

Posted January 9, 2008

We began our WCA Education with their K-4 program with full anticipation of moving to Public Schools for 1st Grade. We have been swept into a Loving, Caring, Godly, Environment with a very High Level of Education. This we could not leave! The well balanced education is one that is hard to find. WCA does a wonderful job of their academic focus while also including biblical, Music, Art, and Spanish Focus'. Their Elementary Sports Programs are outstanding and well organized, giving the students alternative to outside sports programs with high demands and to many practices! (With Emphasize on Sportsmanship!) All of this is done with a Very High Level of Love and Care for the students. We are in our 6th year at WCA. During that time, we have been totally pleased and have never considered education elsewhere! The Staff Members are all Great Role Models for my Children!

Posted January 9, 2008

I do not believe it is possible to find a better school!! My children began attending Wilmington Christian Academy 6-1/2 years ago. My son started in K-5 and is now in 6th grade, his first year of middle school. My daughter started in K-4 and is now in 4th grade. From the very beginning, I have seen and felt the love that is shown to the families and the students. There is genuine concern from teachers and administration, and the focus on God is clearly evident in the curriculum offered. There are sports teams beginning in middle school, and academic challenges and opportunities around every bend. I attended public school, and I cannot imagine putting my children there in today's society with it's lack of morality and absence of God. I thank the Lord every day for the ministry of WCA, and the opportunity for me to send my children there.

Posted January 4, 2008

I recommend this school to anyone. We love this school. God is put first before all. The staff is over the top and beyond. The academics is challenging and taught in the right manner. A very positive and nourishing atmosphere. The only way my children would ever be pulled out if we had to move to another state. WCA is the place to be!

Posted January 4, 2008

I have two children who began attending WCA in four year old kindergarten. They have received an excellent education in an environment that encourages respect, high moral values and spiritual growth guided by biblical principles. My oldest child is now in college. She was exceptionally prepared for university work and made a smooth transition to the college setting. Her classmates appear to have done the same. My youngest child is in high school and will be proud to graduate from WCA. With few exceptions my children have been loved and challenged by the faculty and staff. The facilites are excellent and there has been a wide offering of extracurricular activities for a private school of this size. There are other private schools in Wilmington; however, I am thankful that WCA was available for my family.

Asian 2% N/A
American Indian/Alaskan Native 1% 2%
Two or more races 1% N/A
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Music
  • Performing arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Barren Nobles, Administrator
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Performing arts
  • Religious
  • Science
  • Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School psychologist
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Community service
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

1401 N College Rd