Public charter
Wilson, NC
After care: No

Sallie B Howard School 2

Posted March 22, 2014
This is the worst school I have ever had any association with .The administration is poor and the school is disorganized. Everything is done in an unprofessional manner.There is a high staff turnover every year .Teachers are not shown any respect.Their nurtured heart discipline measure is a big failure.Lots of state and federal guidelines and laws are not met or followed.They employ large numbers of foreign teachers who stay because they dont have a choice.Some of them are employed without proper documentation until their documentation is process and told they are going to be paid upon receiving their paperwork but are never paid.Some work for at least three months and were never reimbursed.Free labor.I would not recommend this school to anyone and hope their illegal activities will be addressed by the proper authorities.

Posted February 17, 2014
Sallie B Howard School is an excellent school, especially when it is compared to the other schools in this area. They truly foster each child and their learning capabilities, and are open to parents being a part of the learning process. I see a couple of parents complaining about the school, but I have never seen staff be anything but professional with students, parents and each other. As for the homework load, it depends on the teacher that the student has, my daughter has been going since Kindergarten, and her homework load varied. But, she has maintained a A or A/B honor roll status since her first day of school. There are some children that do have behavioral issues, but in reality, all schools have this problem, not just Sallie B Howard. Many parents love to participate in the events that the school has and I wish it went higher than 8th grade. Overall, this school is wonderful,especially when compared to other local schools, and I have recommended parents send their kids to this school.

Sallie B Howard School 1

Posted August 17, 2013
This is the worst school that I have ever had the displeasure of allowing my child to attend. There are plenty of resources but a severe lack of professionalism from a lot of the staff. Its a very big school and looks great but its just an illusion. There was physical bullying and inappropriate language within the classrooms which I spoke to my child's teachers and even the principal about, yet nothing was done. Hardly any homework was given when my child attended, either. If you care about your child's education and well being, DO NOT send them to that school! Its a complete bait and switch routine so don't fall for it. There are too many kids with behavior issues that attend and it takes away from the kids who actually WANT to learn. Plus most of the teachers don't even try to motivate or challenge their students, academically speaking. I feel sorry for all the kids that are currently attending and for the parents who are completely oblivious to what's actually occurring within the school. My child will never return to Sallie B. Howard.

Sallie B Howard School 1

Posted June 22, 2013
I would never ever enroll my child again in this school. There's a lot of discrimination. their so called "nurtured heart approach" has never been practiced by their PE teacher nor by their directress,, such a shame.

Posted April 30, 2013
We love SBH we are from NY and this is the kind of school and teaching we are use to. The teachers are on point and the staff is so helpful. If you don't know anything about SBH except what you hear see for yourself and I am sure you will enroll your child .

Posted August 02, 2007
The way the school integrate the arts is just simply the most amazing thing I have every seen a school do.

Posted July 27, 2007
I am a former teacher at Sallie B Howard. I had to leave because my husband's job relocated us. It was one of the best teaching experiences I have ever had. Resources were plentiful and the arts are outstanding. I do not agree with the comments that the school laocks consistent discipline . . . I was always supported. Go Eagles!

Sallie B Howard School 3

Posted July 09, 2007
The school lacks inconsistency in discipline and I have witness the director becoming irate with staff and students. Their are constant new teachers entering Sallie B. Howard and some classrooms have three and four teachers within one school year. School is highly unorganized and fail to support all students and staff.

Sallie B Howard School 2

Posted July 09, 2007
I do not understand why people are afraid to speak the truth. Sallie B. Howard is an excellent idea but Sallie B. Howard lacks the proper direction and administrative support of their staff. Excellent teachers have been let go over their ten years of existence. This past year staff was let go after Sallie B. Howard scores improved for the first time in almost three years. I personally believe you build on that not eliminate your source of improvement. Children establish teacher-student relationships and students look forward and anticipate teachers for their next school year. However, students have to learn to establish new teacher-student relationships each year before they are willing to learn from another teacher. This creates instability in student's learning environment and staff work environment.

Posted July 08, 2007
I am a former teacher of the Sallie B. Howard Charter School. I am so happy to read the wonderful reviews that are here. I can truly say that the year I taught at Sallie B. Howard was one that I will always fondly remember. I was allowed to be as innovative and creative as I wanted to be. My students all achieved outstanding growth on the EOG tests. Keep up the good work, Dr. Woodard and staff.

1004 Herring Ave, Wilson, NC  27893
Last modified Sallie B Howard School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sallie B Howard School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top