Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My son is now in the fourth grade at Brunson and in the HAG program. Last year (3rd grade), was a little rough but I believe 3rd grade is generally rough at all schools considering it is a "transition" year. Last year, we had approximately 2-3 hours of homework per night and I had to google most of the math homework because I had no idea how to do it. From what I have heard from other 3rd grade parents, they had to do the same. The math homework for 3rd grade was ridiculous and the amount was WAY too much. This year, we have a wonderful teacher (Mrs. McGee) who is animated, energetic, kind, and goes out of her way to communicate with parents. My son adores her. The homework has lessened tremendously because they do most of their work in class on laptops. The school is run down and in a bad part of town, but that is no reflection on Brunson as a whole. I just wish the HAG program had a better location. Looking at the bigger picture, I would say I have definitely been pleased. It's challenging, hard work, and definitely not easy. But my son is NOT bored and he is around peers who is interested in the same things he is interested in (technology, etc.) versus the sports.

My daughter is a Fourth grader in the HAG program; by now, it’s too soon to have an opinion regarding her current teacher, but I can say that she had a wonderful teacher last year: Mrs. Coles was prepared, approachable & carrying and the curriculum was challenging, coherent & well organized. My daughter was engaged and motivated all the way thru the school year and looking for to go back to Brunson this fall. I traveled & lived in many countries and I had been in school myself in 3 different ones, therefore I see the cultural/ethnic background diversity of the kids my child encounter in the school has an excellent opportunity to learn and open her eyes to the wonderful and diverse world –AND COUNTRY- we live on.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teacher will try to promote a dialogue between- & with- the students to resolved conflicts, but at the same time, she’ll hold them countable for their actions -& praise the good ones ; she’ll engage the class in conversations, reminding the students about open-mindedness and respect of others opinions.

My child is in the h-ag program and it is terrible. Her teacher is incredibly unorganized and rude. There is one good teacher at each grade level. Mrs. Steele for 3rd grade and Mrs. McGee for 4th grade are both excellent teachers. Otherwise, poor teacher quality throughout the school. If you go visit, just take a few minutes to sit on the couch at the front and observe how the teachers talk to the students. The school is old and run down. There are very few after school activities. The residential population that attend Brunson are largely Spanish-speaking students. The h-ag program is great for some children and highly stressful for others. If you don't have the teachers mentioned above, it will be a long, dreadful year.

The HAG program at this school is amazing! My daughter was challenged for the first time this year with a program that is not only faster paced but more creative. The school is diverse and welcoming and I wish we had started here in Kindergarten!

A very disappointing year. Our child had two very unprepared teachers who did not get along and had no natural leadership qualities themselves. The discontent between the two teachers was very public and created a great deal of contention between parents---Furthermore, our child's homeroom teacher criticized the administration openly and freely to parents as well as students----although he had given her essentially carte blance to structure an alternative program to the one already in place. While a generous offer it came at the expense of some very deserving children

My oldest son started here in third grade in the HAG program which has been fantastic for him. We started my younger son in kindergarten and discovered that the non-HAG teachers are just as wonderful as the HAG teachers.

My 2 kids went here 3-5th grades in the HAG (highly Academically Gifted) program, and they had a blast and learned a lot. they were dissapointed they had to go to leave for middle school!

My kids go to this school and they love it! It seems really well rounded and the staff realizes there is more to teaching and learning than just books and test scores. They think outside of the box. We even moved districts and had to fight the school board to keep our kids here! It's worth it!

Last modified Brunson Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.