PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We help our students build foundations for purposeful lives. We work each day to build a community of faith, hope, and love so that each student can learn and grow to be the person God is calling him or her to be. Our rigorous curriculum instills a love of learning in our students, skillfully preparing them to move on to any high school they choose with self-confidence and poise. Our exceptional faculty inspire students to become passionate, well-rounded, and highly-principled individuals who know they are loved and have a purpose to serve in our world. Students learn not only in the classroom, but through important experiences that Mercy is able to provide. From our Buddy program that pairs middle schoolers with our youngest students, encouraging responsibility and creating role models, to the Helping Hands of Mercy group that cultivates a life-long commitment to service and social awareness, our students learn the foundations of leadership and personal responsibility. In addition, we have invested in technology enhancements throughout the school so that all our students have access to tablet devices and interactive whiteboards, which allows our teachers to take content a step further and bring innovation to our already-strong curriculum.
January 04, 2017

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (10 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (10 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

My children always come home with school work. They never complained when it comes to completing each homework. Each homework have specific deadlines so the children are learning how to manage their time as well.

Our Lady Of Mercy School is a very good school. I have learned so much about my faith as well as my subjects. Athletics is also a very big part of the school, being in JV and Varsity basketball also in track made me a well rounded student. The teachers are so much fun but very strict when it comes to school and homework. I love our buddy program, we get the chance to guide our kindergartens throughout the school year at recess, Friday mass, school events and many more. I am now in 9th grade and doing very well in my new school. Our Lady of Mercy, the teachers in all its entirety has prepared me and molded me to who I am and who I can become in the future

After being lucky enough to experience some of the best public school districts in the country, a job move brought our family to Winston. In order to make a good decision, we visited every school in the area. After meeting the principal and teachers, we knew Our Lady of Mercy was the right fit for our children. Although our older children were coming from STEM schools we felt that they were missing a strong writing program and OLM filled that gap. Mrs. Read, Mrs. Farmer, Mrs. Z, Dr. J. and Ms. Degnan are Just a few of the very special teachers who have had major impacts on my children's lives. It is definitely worth a visit!

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Dr. J. is a wonderful resource there. She works with children in very small groups or one on one. She will also put plan in place with classroom teachers and the parents to ensure that children are successful learners. She truly advocates for children with any learning differences. She is incredible and a huge blessing!

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Sr Geri knows every student by name. She treats them with love and fairness.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Catholic values are very important and strongly encouraged.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All of the teachers we have had are extremely helpful and want the children to learn.

Amount of homework: Agree

homework is treated as an extension and not excessive.

Our Lady of Mercy has been an answer to prayer for our family. We have three children at this school and they are all thriving! My children are getting a true Catholic education! The academics are rigorous. The expectaions are very high but the children are encouraged and the teachers are so helpful. The kindergarten is a true kindergarten. The children have a beautiful room and playground where they are expected and encouraged to play and be children. There is no homework in the kindergarten so that the children can go home to play. Phonics are strongly taught in the kindergarten as well as the basics but it is in line with what is developmentally appropriate. You will not go into a happier kindergarten!! We love it.

All four of my grandchildren attend Our Lady of Mercy School; one has already graduated. Every Friday I go to mass and I see all the students, and there is no greater testament to the character of these students. They are extremely well-behaved. We are hands-on grandparents and the level of learning my grandchildren take home is astounding. My oldest grandson is above and beyond prepared for high-school and higher education thanks to the fundamentals he has received at OLM. The facilities are spacious and inviting, the families are welcoming and very much that - like a family. The staff know everyone, including grandparents which is really nice.

Last modified Our Lady Of Mercy Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8