Forsyth Academy

Charter | K-8 | 692 students

Living in Winston-Salem

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $154,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $650.

Sweep tile

Posted August 17, 2013

My son attended this school in 2010. It was a bad experience. I found out while we were attending FA my son had a learning disability and they just gave him an IEP with his name on it. They do not provide any services or resources. Don't waste your time going to this school if your child has learning issues because they do nothing.

Posted April 16, 2013

the teachers and their emphasis on learning and the students is awesome. however, the school is overcrowded and you can barely get down the hallways w/out running into tables full of students getting additional help. while i LOVE most of the teachers my children have had I am pulling them out for regular public schools this year. My oldest child has a teacher that lets other students "monitor" each other and this is affecting a lot of children negatively in terms of behavior. also, my one dealing w/ the principal did not leave me feeling like she cared one way or the other about my concerns. but i do have to say I absolutely love most of the teachers k-3 anyway. .

Posted April 12, 2013

Forsyth Academy. I have worked at this school for many years. Even as a teacher, I can honestly say that I have gained knowledge from students, staff members, and parents. Every day is a growing experience and I treasure my experiences at this wonderful school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 12, 2012

This is a horrible school. There are ghetto students, lazy teachers, and poor academics. I would NOT recommend this school.

Posted August 29, 2012

Great school! Awesome staff and teachers! It is like one big family! We went from homeschooling to WSFC schools for one year and this is our second year at Forsyth Academy, where we plan to remain through 8th grade. The teachers and staff are awesome. You don't to worry about certain teachers who shouldn't be teachers-, yelling, screaming, potty talk, attitudes etc like in the regular public schools where their jobs are protected by the teachers union...teachers are evaluated and rated by fellow staff, principals AND parents here!! Their pay is based on their performance and feedback from parents and associates! Our experience so far is that they all go above and beyond! They also have a very structured and disciplinarian plan THAT WORKS!!! The overall student behavior here is much better than our experience in the County/City School.

Posted May 11, 2012

My child has attended Forsyth Academy for two years and we are very pleased with the teachers, staff and Leadership. The school is very safe and secure and the office staff is very professional and helpful. There is a warm, loving family atmosphere in the classroom and amongst the parents. I love too that the school is very diverse and families from many countries are part of Forsyth Academy.

Posted February 26, 2012

Not a great school . Leadership not professional. Middle school electives limited. Not conducive to similar charter schools.

Posted February 16, 2012

I have both my children there. One kindergarten and the other in 4th grade. I love this school! I am a teacher in the public school sector and I am so glad that schools like Forsyth Academy are around. The teachers are excellent and keep parents informed about everything that is going on with your child. In addition, my kids are far more advanced academcially than kids at our district's non-public charter schools. Two thumbs up for Forsyth Academy!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 25, 2009

My oldest child started at Forsyth Academy in Kindergarten in 2000 and is now in seventh grade. Since then, her two siblings also attend, as well as my granddaughter. Our experience at Forsyth Academy has been wonderful. It has a diverse student population, with dedicated teachers who are willing to go above and beyond what they are compensated for. I was initially concerned about the middle school, but have been extremely pleased with all of the teachers that she has had. Each of my children have been pushed to grow academically. It is a small school environment that has provided stability and challenge. The nurturing staff have allowed each of my children to flourish! Thank you, FA staff!

Posted February 17, 2009

My son is in his second year at the school and he loves it and has done well. He does not want to miss school: he really likes his teacher and especially his teacher assistant this year (Ms Valentine thank you!). Anytime I have contacted a teacher or principal, I have always received a quick/timely response. I do realize that not everyone can or will be pleased w/ the fact that there has been some teacher turnover but I also know from my own experiences that this is NORMAL. The before and after school program offered is awesome also. Mr. Purdy has a way w/ children. I'd have to give the school an overall GREAT.

Posted January 15, 2009

My oldest started 4th grade and graduated from FA. My other children all started in kindergarten at Forsyth Academy. The teacher turnover is awful and in my opinion the principal is not qualified. The middle school has the worse teacher turnover but parents might be satisfied with the elementary school because the turnover isnt as bad. The middle school is inconsistent when it comes to discipline which is why they have to change procedures and policys so often. My family has had seven years at FA but the last three have been very trying which is why I pulled them out a month after this school term started. In the end, the bad things about the school outweighed the good.

Posted July 30, 2007

My son has been at Forsyth Academy since Kindergarten and my daughter will be entering the 1st grade at Forsyth this year. The teachers are very attentive to their needs, strengths and weaknesses. Everytime I call or email I get a response. My concerns are always addressed and resolved quickly and efficiently. I am very pleased with the school to say the least. Is it a perfect school? Of course not. Are there some areas that could use improvement, definitely. But there isn't a perfect school. But I believe they; teachers, staff and all faculty members are there for one purpose, to see that every child live up to their God given potential and they are willing to put in the work to make sure that happens. Deana Brim

Posted July 23, 2007

My daughter came to Forsyth Academy as a 2nd grader, 2006-07. We moved to the area from Maryland public school. My daughter was a D-F student. She became an A-B student at Forsyth. I attribute it to Ms. Farr, her teacher. She identified my daughter's gifts, strengths and weaknesses and worked with her accordingly. We worked together. I'm certain Ms. Farr did this with all of her students. Ms. Farr was very caring and loving. My daughter's testing scores increased from where they were, she grew emotionally and she became more responsible and confident. Forsyth Academy was a God-send for us. We recently relocated to Texas, 2007-08. My daughter will return to public school. We'll see how she fairs again or if we will have to put her back into an academy or private setting. The office staff was courteous and wonderful. Very pleased with Forsyth Academy.

Posted June 4, 2007

I have recently graduated from the eighth grade at Forsyth Academy, and I loved it! I was enrolled there from elementary school, all the way through middle school, and I can honestly say that it was a challenging, but rewarding school. My teachers were great! The principal never stopped encouraging the school as a whole, to work hard and excell. Her favorite speech was about how she was our 'Gate Keeper,' and how it was her job to open the gates of opportunity to us, and help us through them. Overall, I'm glad that I could go there. It's a good school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 2, 2007

My son was at forsyth academy since kindergarten and now he is in the 5th grade. I really feel that the quality of education has decreased. They have high teacher turnovers and the principal resigned in April 2007. My son is now having to go to summer school to re-take the math EOG test. There were over 20 other kids that had to re-take the math EOG. I'm very disappointed and plan to remove he and my daughter after summer school. I give this school a D. I will say that they have good parental involvement.

Posted May 17, 2007

The school's academic programs are top notch! Their focus is the development of the whole child. It is a place where students and staff are happy and the children feel loved. Additionally, it is a place where they achieve academically. As a grandparent, even I know exactly where my grandchildren are performing on a national level and how I can help to coordinate with the school to improve their learning. Administration is receptive to ideas and supportive of parents. Additionally, they have a wonderful parent teacher organization that has done so many absolutely wonderful things for the school. Every time I walk in the building, I see something that they have provided from awnings in the front of the building to bleachers in the gym. They also provide for lots of reward activities for the children. The school is awesome!

Posted November 9, 2006

My son who is now in the 4th grade has attended this school since kindergarten. The curriculum is excellent although there is lots of homework. I am particularly impressed by the schools commitment and focus on moral values as well as academics. It is comforting to know that my son can truly focus on learning and succeeding at Forsyth Academy. This school does not tolerate the bullying and other disruptive behaviors that typically occur in today's public school environments. It is also encouraging to know that the values we are instilling at home are reinforced at school. Continued success... M. Johnson

Posted July 6, 2006

I had my 2nd grader here '05-'06 and she loved it and so did we. Their testing system is very specific, (NWEA) and my daughter's scores started out good and improved in every area significantly. Her teachers challenged her academically when the work was getting too easy, which I appreciated. We have enrolled her brother for kindergarten and re-enrolled her for '06-'07. The principal is a wonderful, smart, kind lady who is very responsive. I don't understand the negative comment I read; that has not been our experience. Mrs. Heath is involved, cares deeply for her staff and students, and is making a wonderful difference in the lives of many children. Mrs. Hill, the asst. prin. is wonderful as well. As a parent, if you get involved, you will reap good rewards.

Posted March 2, 2006

This school is absolutely horrible. The principal doesn't return calls for weeks, nor does the assistant. The only good program is the before school and after school program with Mr. Purdy. The school itself leaves children behind if they transfer to a public school. They use a different handwriting technique and that makes it difficult on the students. I would not recommend any parent wasting their money or time.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students25%

Non-disabled students41%
Proficient in English37%
Non-migrant34%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students51%

Non-disabled students42%
Proficient in English43%
Non-migrant41%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

n/a
English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

• Mrs Wendy Barajas
Fax number
  • (336) 922-1033

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now