Bad
Good

This school is a very special place for children to learn and grow. My daughter LOVES school and is so excited every single day. As a teacher in a traditional public school, I see the difference in the way the teachers at ABS do things, and I love it! I wouldn't want my child anywhere else.

ABS is a truly wonderful learning environment. I appreciate the way this school reinforces what a student learns in a variety of ways so that the child has multiple ways to connect with the information, and ultimately, to remember it better. For instance, learning about angles at ABS might involve not only a Math lesson, but also learning of angles in Dance class (make your body an angle), in Art (drawing angles) and in Music (through song). One or several of these will click with the kid making the lesson "stick" better. And what's more, the student is having so much fun, he often doesn't realize he is at school. We have been lucky enough to have been at ABS since Kindergarten. After talking to parents who are new to ABS (after making the switch from a variety of other Winston-Salem schools, public and private), I am always glad to hear how happy these parents and their kids are to be at The Arts Based School, instead of their previous school. And, now ABS goes up to 8th grade- even better!

I have been a student at this school for 8 years and I have enjoyed every second of it! I have always heard my other friends that don't go to ABS complain about how boring school is, but I am always thinking "I can't wait to go to school tomorrow." All of the teachers are extremely dedicated and have made me the person I am today. I am a 7th grader but I am currently taking 9th grade math and I am reading at a 10th grade level. I owe all of that to this great school.

I have no complaints....The only reason I rated a 4 stars is because the test scores have dropped. As far as the teachers they seem very understanding. children are taught good values, creativity and I believe that the curriculum is equal to if not more advanced than the ws school system. The only difference is that the children don't feel challenged because of how the material is taught. This school definitely makes learning fun.

The Arts Based School is an innovative, creative environment that teaches kids the basics of education and so much more. As a parent at this school for 7 years, I've seen my children blossom into creative critical thinkers who obsessively immerse themselves in the educational task at hand. I couldn't ask for a more stimulating, enriching environment to lay the foundation for my children's educational future.

I believe this school operates by telling people that they run their school based on the arts. I can honestly say that I believe that is just a way for them to hide their lack-luster education. I had my child in this school for a short period of time before switching them because of the way the principal deals with issues, it's quite frustrating. Along with that the school has hardly any other arts classes than other schools and forced children to take dance without even offering PE which is what my child wished he could take. All in all, very disappointing

My child's fourth grade teacher told me in our last conference that he would never be a 4.0, straight A student and that was ok!!! Now I have a very smart but lazy child that needs to be pushed to give the extra effort. Accepting the minimum is absolutely unacceptable! Outraged Parent

We adore The Arts Based School. We have two children there and have watched them both blossom emotionally and academically in this wonderful, unique and innovative learning environment. The teachers are amazing, and you couldn't ask for a more engaged, capable or caring principal and staff. There is a true sense of community among ABS families as well that makes it such a special place. My advice to anyone who is wanting something more for their child than teaching to the test, being stressed about unending, pointless homework or anxiety over being timed in math drills is to TAKE A TOUR of ABS (call 748-4116 for an appt. the tours are given each Thursday morning). You really will be amazed at their curriculum and what this school offers its students!

Having started in the traditional school system, I greatly appreciate the vast differences in the way The Arts Based School approaches teaching. My once spirited, bright, confident child was miserable in a traditional setting where the curriculum was taught primarily through "one size fits all" lectures. ABS believes in actively engaging each child in the learning process and truly teaching the Standard Course of Study through the arts. Visual arts, music, dance, drama - all are part of daily life at ABS! Not only are the children engaged in what they are learning - they are loving it and ultimately retaining it. There is a reason we all learned the ABCs with a song - you never forget it! The administration and teaching staff are the most dedicated, inspiring and caring people I have ever encountered in education. The sense of community and parental involvement at ABS is amazing. Both of my children have excelled in their time at ABS and we're so thrilled we're expanding to a K-8 school. My children feel valued, engaged, challenged and safe. It truly is the greatest school you could ever hope for.

Couldn't be happier with the experience my two daughters are having at ABES. Respectful, kind teachers allow each kid to advance in a supportive environment. My kids are not just learning the [state-mandated] curriculum, but are also finding out how to approach problems in innovative ways--skills sorely lacking in the standard institutionalized system. Highly recommended for any family that wants to prepare their kids for the challenges of the 21st century.

Last modified The Arts Based School is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.