K-11|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Their teaching gets results, helps kids overcome whatever learning problem they face with a program designed exactly for that student, and gives kids the confidence they need without the stress that usually plagues kids with learning challenges. They are willing to change things based upon the needs and likes/dislikes of the kids, making learning the most effective.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is no set amount of homework for each subject or each student like it is in most schools. Every student learns differently and at a different pace, and homework is based on each child's needs in different subjects, not set in stone.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The students at JDS have a variety of learning challenges so each student learns how to be respectful of others' differences and how to help other students. Students in different grades have curricula appropriate to their needs and grade level, but since the school is small there is a fair degree of crossover and definitely a lot of interaction every day with kids of of all ages and learning capabilities. The older kids learn to help the younger ones, the younger ones learn values and appropriate behaviors from the older kids and they all work together to become a close-knit group.

Jefferson Day School changed my son Tyler's life - for the first time ever, our parent-teacher conferences are filled with only positive things! Tyler is 15 and a sophomore in high school. He has several learning disabilities having to do with information processing speed, memory, math and written expression that made regular classroom learning almost impossible once he got to the middle school level. The public schools were of no help, and it got so bad that we had to pull him out of public school and homeschool him for two years. Then we moved to Winston-Salem and found Jefferson Day. It is a very small school, which means they are able to provide the necessary attention to each student, and their alternative teaching methods allow them to individually tailor learning based on what each student needs for each subject. Tyler was getting Ds and Fs in public school and was depressed and convinced he was stupid and would never succeed at anything - with the help of JDS he is now getting As and Bs and has the confidence to do well in all his subjects! I give this school my highest recommendation. -Sandra Berg, MD

If your child has a learning disability do not send them to this school. They do not have teachers trained in the required programs needed to teach these kind of children. Not only that but my son was bullied at this school and when I asked them to separate my son from that child they ignored me. If you have a child with a learning disability my advice would be to leave North Carolina and go to a state with more services.

My son went to this school for, K-2nd grade, three years. My husband and I was so impressed with the instruction my son recieved. This school isn't for everyone, it reminds me of 'Little House on the Prairie.' It doesn't have a gym or a huge library, but I would pass on a school that has all that for this experience. It's located in a church but it doesn't push any religious belief. It does expect good moral behavior. If my son stepped out of line, his teacher informed me immediately. I was amazed when my son got in trouble for fibbing. For some parents, that may seem overwhelming but I wanted an environment that dealt with the whole child: social skills, good moral character, high academic standards, and small class size. The best thing about this school is that they meet the child where they are academically.

My Daughter have gone to Jefferson Day School since we moved from Atlanta three years ago. Jefferson Day school is a school where the children come first. Each child is encouraged to do their personal best without being labeled as the smart or dumb kids. The Jefferson Day School is so friendly warm and environment for my children. The teachers are highly skilled and work hard to bring out the best in each child. The director is so warm friendly and caring, remember the parent's name too. She is a great example of a leader and I will miss seeing her everyday as my daughter graduates this year. Thank you Jefferson Day School for bringing out the best in my children and giving them the encouragement and confidence they need to go out into the world!

Last modified Jefferson Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-11