Winston-Salem, NC
Students enrolled: 1,049

Posted October 26, 2014
My son loves this school! He has had such a great middle school experience at Hanes thanks to the STEM focus and great teachers. My daughter can't wait to go here next year!

Posted October 19, 2014
Most of the teachers are pretty good, but the current chorus teacher is horrible. She cannot control a class, and we always have to do worksheets ( that are for the wrong level of chorus) instead of singing. She also made us do 3 worksheets we had already completed and turned in a second time. We will not be ready for the winter concert.

Posted June 06, 2014
Really happy with our experience. Seem to be some silly posters out there. Recommend this school to those with motivated kids.

Posted May 30, 2014
Hanes Middle School has a few great teachers, a lot of average teachers, and more bad teachers than it should, given that it serves the HAG program. I am particularly concerned with the way math is taught (or NOT taught, as the case may be) in the HAG program. My grandson was failing until we got him a tutor one day a week, and now he is making all A's. It is remarkable what actually being taught can do. In addition, the administration (including the Principal and Vice Principal) are generally non-responsive. My grandson got a concussion in his Phys Ed class, which was reported to the school nurse who had my daughter pick him up and take him to the doctor for a confirmed diagnosis. My daughter has emailed and phoned the Principal daily, and has had no response. I thank God my grandson will be going on to high school next year so we don't have to deal with these people ever again!

Posted May 08, 2014
Last year my child had 24 different language arts teachers in one year. He is in AG. I think there may have been a vacuum created when the principal from 4 years ago left. He was a real dynamo. This year has better, but his science teacher left for maternity leave and I don't expect any consistency for the next month.

Hanes Middle 1

Posted May 07, 2014
I'm a student at Hanes and I hate it first kids in HAG and AG. Get everything better teachers better textbooks better education then normal kids all we have is a pod with bathrooms that are always out of order teachers don't care we walk though rain to get to our classes and the other kids go on field trips and we haven't got a single one at all we get treated diffrent this school only good of you get in HAG or AG other then that it not worth it.

Posted February 21, 2014
excellent, if you have a smart chtild that wants to succeed and be prepared for High School - Hanes is hard to beat.

Hanes Middle 2

Posted February 17, 2014
If you can get your kid into the HAG program, this school is great. The Lead the Way Program is worthwhile as well, but often too full for all students who apply to take part. However, as former student who had friends in each segregation of the school, the AG program there was a disappointment, and beyond that, the school is abysmal. The discrepancies between the resources that the HAG and neighborhood kids receive are astounding, which is pretty ironic considering the school puts on an act as if it has "saved" these kids. The kids from the neighborhood are assigned some of the worst teachers, and are often looked down upon by the rest of the school and administrators - all while the kids in HAG classes are assigned great teachers, and esteemed by the entire school. Teachers let tons of kids with tons of potential in these classes slip through the cracks - often times the teachers are unaware of how to control their classes. I'm sure some of them would qualify for the great programs in the school if someone would just pay them more attention. Case and point, the school uses the smart kids fancy awards drawn by the magnet program to make it look as if they've fixed the school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 08, 2013
I like this school it's good as long as your not in the regular team because the regular team doesn't do lots of activity and you kind of feel less then others

Posted October 21, 2013
I'm new student at Hanes. This school is very awesome I really like it here at Hanes especially with the HAG program. This School is the BEST school i ever went to

Hanes Middle
2900 Indiana Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC  27105
Last modified Hanes Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hanes Middle Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top