Jefferson Elementary 3

Posted May 29, 2014
Jefferson had potential but was shockingly disappointing. If you want a test score driven school with strict guidelines, low parent participation, and no sense of community, you may like it. If you see school in a big picture, want to volunteer, be involved (other than Tuesday Packets or fund raising), want to see a vibrant organized learning environment with active, happy kids, and well supported teachers, this is NOT your school. The principal does not welcome parents. This has bred apathy in parents so they don't participate and they struggle to fill the meager volunteer opportunities. The population is diverse, but diversity is lip service if students don't see the school as their community. The first lunch I ate with my kids, I left wondering what I had done putting them in this school. It is very institutional, very concerned with quiet. There were many great teachers, but they do not get the support they need and I felt a lot of burnout the last year. I believe parent involvement would help; but alas admin doesn't want us there. The bottom line, my kids were unhappy, not thriving. We served 2 years, and hesitantly left. Best decision ever! They are blooming!

Posted February 01, 2014
Despite the "high honors and ratings" that this school has received, I agree with the parents regarding the poor leadership. The principal has treated us very poorly since our son started there, and the teachers have not been much better. She has been resistant and defensive towards us regarding our son and is not familiar with her own school policy. She is very unwilling to share information about our own son with us. We are extremely disappointed that the school board would allow this kind of leadership to continue.

Jefferson Elementary 4

Posted October 20, 2013
This school nurture kids to learn and more importantly the love of learning. Both my 8 year and 5 year old are happy and learning at school.

Posted June 05, 2013
We did kindergarten here and not happy at all! We are now at another school and LOVE it! The administration at Jefferson needs a reality check.

Posted April 16, 2013
Don't let the test scores fool you- Jefferson Elementary is absolutely the worst of the 6 schools my children have attended- terrible leadership from the principal-- does not encourage parent involvement, allows no creativity from the teachers, etc. Teacher treatens children with silent lunch daily for the slightest issues, to the point where my child is always worried about not showing all of her work on homework. In the U.S., we keep our edge because of creativity, and this school will have none of that. However, they are probably great at creating robots.

Jefferson Elementary 2

Posted January 31, 2013
Teachers - awesome, work with you to help child succeed, caring, understanding. Front desk staff - horrible, rude. Bus system - inconsistant, school does not call if child will be late or bus breaks down. Acedemically this school excels, but professionally, their staff is well below standards.

Posted January 28, 2013
Our kids are in the 4th and 5th grade and this is our first year at Jefferson. My only regret is that we didn't move here when they were younger. This is a GREAT school with excellent teachers and excellent leadership. Despite the high scores of this school - they go so far beyond just getting kids ready for EOG's....they are preparing them for the future and their focus goes beyond standardized tests. We are so happy with Jefferson--it's as good as any private school if not better. Our kids come home and tell us how much they love it and how much their teachers care!!!

Posted September 06, 2012
My son started at Jefferson in Nov of last year, we had moved from out of state. Shortly after he started his teacher called me in for a conference and said that he was behind, more than likely because of the difference in standards in his other school. Anyhow about a month later she called me back and in said that not only had he caught up, but she was putting him in the accelerated reading and math program. I had no idea there was an AP class for kindergarten. The quality of teachers at this school is AMAZING. Im so thankful she was able to take the time to help him. He is now in his first grade year and is LOVING it. He has yet another great teacher. Im looking forward to sending my other two children to Jefferson!

Posted September 14, 2011
This is an outstanding school with the highest standards. It is a diverse school with 35% minority and four classes for children with disabilities. The school has held the highest honor as an Honors School of Excellence for 12 straight years. The only school in the county that can make this claim. Th teachers are outstanding and just last night, my daughters 2nd grade teacher said would have a hard time ever leaving because the small class size allows her to teach deeply. JES has a large percentage of gifted students. Regarding our Principal, she is an honorable advocate for our students. It is not her job to make parents feel good about themselves but it is her job to care for the quality of education our children receive. With Great teachers, administrators, students and parents Jefferson Elementary will continue its high level of education. It's a fun place to learn. Mother of 2nd grader, 4th grader, PTA board member and full-time, business owning working mom.

Posted May 16, 2011
Having had 3 children go through this school, I am saddened to read some of the negative reviews posted on this site. Our family has had only positve experiences with each grade level; we have had teachers who genuinely care and who have delivered appropriate, personalized, and creative instruction. I believe that striving for excellence is the norm for this school, rather than the exception.

Jefferson Elementary
4000 Jefferson School Lane, Winston-Salem, NC  27106
Last modified Jefferson Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jefferson Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top