Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (8 responses)

Posted August 03, 2016
This was our second year at Jefferson after transferring in from a neighboring county, and we have been nothing but impressed! The staff was helpful in our transition, and they have continued to be receptive to my questions. My daughter has loved her teachers, and I have also been pleased with the level of parent involvement. We chose Jefferson partly for the racial diversity and believe we have found a beautiful community where our daughter is learning acceptance and love of all people while continuing to receive a top-notch education. The teachers care :-)

Posted July 29, 2016
We moved here midway through the 2014-15 school year from FL where my daughter attended the #1 ranked public elementary school in the state. She finished the year at the school we are zoned for and I was not at all happy, nor was she. After extensive research and school tours, we switched to Jefferson. I could not be more pleased. The new Principal is beyond impressive. Not only does she know all the children's names, but she can also associate parents' faces with those kids. She has implemented changes to better the teachers. The teachers are phenomenal and do not let any child "just get by". I witnessed first hand the intervention if a child is behind and the amount of time and varied services offered. Another major factor we took into consideration was the diverse student body. There is the perfect balance here, and the families we've had the pleasure of meeting are so nice! We are thankful to have found Jefferson!

Posted July 28, 2016
Jefferson is a fantastic school! Excellent principal, dedicated staff, diverse student body, and helpful PTA.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted July 28, 2016
It depends on the grade and the day. Some days it's just right. Some days it's a lot. And some days it's not much at all.

Posted July 28, 2016
We moved to Winston from another state a couple years ago. My children started off at another Forsyth county public school near by then we switched to Jefferson. My children did so much better at Jefferson. Not just academically but also socially. They made friends so much easier at this school. All of the students are under one roof here and not in the trailers in the back like the other school. Jefferson is a great school.

Grateful to: Student

Posted July 27, 2016
The students of Jefferson are the heart of the school. They have been so kind and welcoming to my children when they were new students in the beginning of the year. This speaks volumes of the teachers, administrators and the parents raising these children. Thank you!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 27, 2016
I feel the homework load was comparable to other schools they attended. At times there is more and other times less.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 27, 2016
My children have been challenged and continue to work hard and grow. I attribute this to the fantastic teachers at the school.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 27, 2016
The school has a no bullying policy. It discusses and has several posters throughout the school showing those topic points.

Posted July 27, 2016
We joined Jefferson halfway through the 2015-16 school year. We were moving from an excellent school district in Pennsylvania who had a wonderful community feel. I was concerned I would not be able to find that again. Great Schools was an excellent source for us and I've decided to review so other parents relocating can benefit as I have. When reading the reviews before 2015, please know that Jefferson has a new principal who has been absolutely wonderful. She is engaged with the students, teachers and the PTA. When I had a concern about one of my children she was quick to respond and help find a resolution as was my child's teacher. I've also had contact with the Vice Principal and he was equally kind, quick to respond and informative. Both of my children get excited when they see either administrator in the hallway. As a new parent, I was asked to volunteer and be involved straight away. The PTA was welcoming and had a lot of great ideas. Most importantly at Jefferson, the population is diverse. My children have enjoyed learning about different cultures and religions through the friendships they have already made. Another neat thing is that you can come and eat lunch with your kids and they can select a few friends to sit with you at the special table. Jefferson also works with an after school program called Imprints. This allows the kids of working parents to be able to be involved in after school activities and receive child care. A big plus in my book! To summarize, Jefferson has been wonderful. The reviews before 2015 may have very well experienced all of those things, but the school has a new administration. One that has been welcoming and engaging!

4000 Jefferson School Ln, Winston-Salem, NC  27106
Last modified Jefferson Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.