Paisley Magnet School

Public | 6-10 | 804 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 8, 2014

This is a magnet school in a lower income neighborhood which brings its own challenges. As the mother of a magnet middle school student (6th grade), however, I would say nearly all positive things about the school. The principal, Dr. Cone, won best principal in the district this year. He seems to be approachable and definitely concerned about the students. The PTSA is really dynamic and involved. Teachers for the most part are strong. My daughter really enjoys German the best by far with all the fun opportunities for cultural involvement and language learning as well as Math with Mr. Loftis. Glad we sent her to Paisley. Would highly recommend.

Posted October 22, 2013

Paisley Middle School is an IB Programme magnet school in Forsyth County. Dr. Gary Cone just won Principal of the Year in FC. I believe this was largely due to his leadership skills. At any given time, you can find him in the classrooms; visiting with students & teachers. Paisley is located in an extremely poverty stricken area of Winston-Salem. 49% of the students receive free/reduced lunch. Financially, the $5,000 would help so many students & teachers. Forsyth County teachers have not received an increase in pay in 5 years; yet at Paisley, you would never know this based on attitude of teachers or students. They remain positive, active in the community and willing to help students. In such a low income environment, parent involvement is low. Our PTA works hard to raise funds but the school has so many needs - new equipment, school supplies, tissues, paper, pencils and more. It's sad to see students who want to learn struggle because of inadequate supplies in classrooms. Please help Paisley by granting the $5,000. Thank you Lori Middleton-Sizemore A mom

Posted October 20, 2013

Paisley IB Magnet school has brought out the best in my 7th grader. I am happy we made the decision to go for an IB education.

Posted August 1, 2013

Paisley IB Magnet is a great school and better potential to make students more well rounded individuals. I believe in their strive to serve the community and giving the students the ability to learn abou the world that surrounds them. Paisley is very good about keeping the Parents in touch and highly involved in their child's stuent life. I feel my child feels more at home here having to share with kids from many different schools and backgrounds. Very diverse! Love that! My kid is challenged at the academic level and is encouraged to give his best! Thanks Paisley!

Posted March 10, 2013

Paisley has been a struggle for me. I am a 6th grade student here and a lot of stuff goes on here. Bullying goes on, the principal is kinda mean, and most of the students here are very disruptive. They also lied about the rigor of the math 6/7 which is very easy and the counselor said it was hard. They also lied about class sizes. There are ranging from 25-30 kids in each class. They also always make you walk in a line with the teachers. The teachers have a hard time keeping control of the kids, to add on to the disruptive behavior. The food for Paisley, provided by Chartwells is and will always be disgusting. They have rip-off prices at the Panther Positive store. the school is very old and needs a great amount of renovation. The reason why I even gave it 2 stars is because you can come out with 4 high school credits, which I love about the school. You also get into math classes based on 5th grade EOG test scores instead of aptitude and other achievement tests.

Posted July 4, 2012

Overall Paisley has been a very good school. My daughter's own experiences at Paisely have included being challenged, encouraged to step out of her comfort zone, and improve her own sense of responsibility to her work. There have a been issues with one particular teacher, but when those issues were addressed to the teacher and to the administration the problems were quickly cleared up. Her 6th grade class sizes ranged from 25 - 30 which is on par with other middle schools in the county. The very negative reviews dated May 21st and 14th do not represent the majority of experiences at Paisley. The IB program is designed for students who are willing to put in the extra time and effort to learn and not be spoon food or taught to a test. I teach at a nearby college prep private school that has had public middle school students attend our high school program. Of ALL the middle schools in Forsyth county, students coming from Paisley are the MOST prepared. This includes comparing Paisley students to kids from the Hanes HAG program. The Hanes students are "programmed" and unable to think out of the box the way Paisley students can. Paisley is a good school for self motivated kids

Posted May 27, 2012

The pair of negative reviews below do not reflect the Paisley at which I teach. To say that I am sorry about the experiences related by these parents expresses my regret in best fashion I can. Because I am at the school daily I can say that there are no "MASSIVE" behavior problems. I will happily compare our faculty with any other school in the district and I categorically deny that teachers are "overwhelmed." Administration support is strong and consistent. I see and teach these same chilren. We do not have five police officers patrolling the building. We are assigned one officer on a daily basis as are all the other schools in the district. IB is not a "marketing hook." IB as a pedagogy is not something I take lighly. International Baccalaureate is integrated into every unit and lesson plan I develop and present in my classroom. I came to Paislety because of the promise of IB. Nothing in the intervening years convinces me that the promise is unfulfilled. There is no other school public or private (other than the IB program at Parkland) to which I want to transfer. That said, I am deeply troubled by the comments posted May 21 and 25. These words portray a Paisley I don't know.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 25, 2012

My experiences at Paisley have been nothing but positive. My student has had a wealth of experiences that he would not have had any where else. I believe children are children no matter where you go and it is about how active you are as parent in the school. Very diverse in student and faculty population.

Posted May 25, 2012

I have had two of our three children attend Paisley for the entire Middle Years Programme (6th - 10th). The program was not around for our oldest. The teacher connection to students is incredible! This is a school that really reaches to teach every child - they push the top and challenge the middle, and work to bring up the bottom. No certification is needed there, and yet they have the same math that another area school has only for its highly gifted students. The broad international scope was wonderful for our two children, and the teachers are the best they ever had!

Posted May 21, 2012

I enrolled two of my children in Paisley last year after swallowing the whole "IB Magnet Program" marketing info hook, line, and sinker. I thought my children would be in an environment where they would be challenged to accel and be surrounded by teachers and students who were interested in the same. What I found this year was far from the truth. The classes are overcrowded, there are MASSIVE behavior problems, and the teachers get little to no support from administration. The few good teachers are overwhelmed and the system at Paisley is quickly ruining them. Worse yet, the biggest problem we've had has been bullying - by a teacher! Paisley may have had a good program in the past, but it is far from that now. After getting through our first year there, seeing and hearing what goes on there I feel like I sent my child to penitentiary. We will NOT be returning next year, and I would encourage any parents who care about their children to steer clear and not buy into the line of BS that the district feeds everyone about Paisley and the IB program. This year has been a huge step backwards in my child's education.

Posted May 14, 2012

My son is finishing his 1st & LAST year @ this school. He is failing most classes, & his teachers show little interest in helping him to succeed. My son says 5 police officers patrol the school, & he witnessed an older child get handcuffed/escorted out of the building. He says in many of his classes, the students are so disruptive, that he can not focus on his work, so he leaves & goes to his homeroom(homebase?) teacher who lets him stay in her class(he is ADHD & has a modified schedule). Unfortunately, whenever he leaves the class to get away from the disruptions, he misses the assignments w/no recourse. When he complains to the teachers about the distractions, they make excuses, or don't do anything about it. We've had two instances this year with bullies-one was physically abusive to other students. My husband had to go to the school & make a fuss because no one did anything to rectify the situation. This is supposed to be a "magnet" school & the children are supposed to be intellectually challenged? His teachers have done nothing to make this school a learning-friendly environment. Sadly, this gives him absolutely no motivation to even try. I want to give them 0 stars.

Posted December 31, 2009

This school does have its problems dealing with the surrounding area but inside of our school teacers are fun, they accect the ideas offered by us and care about us in and out of school. the clubs we have the chance to join make the school more fun for everyone. yes it is a great academic challenge but it creates a better future for us all. Go Panthers!

Posted February 17, 2009

Paisley is an excellent school and the teachers help the children excell. I had heard a lot about all the homework, while it is challenging some of the teachers allow time at the end of class to work on the assignment. I feel my child will be more than ready for high school.

Posted July 30, 2008

Paisley is an outstanding school. If you want your child to get a good education, then you need to send him or her to Paisley. The staff cares so much about educating the students. It is a rigorous curriculum, but I do not want my child to attend an 'easy' school.

Posted June 25, 2008

Great group of teachers. Excellent parent involment Very active principal and assistants. The best IB coordinator

Posted February 2, 2008

This school has kept its appearance good in both inside and out. I understand that this school may have a bit too intense on education, but I was one of the lucky ones that did not have any trouble. Although Homework is given almost every day, I still feel fine. The clubs are a great addition to this school. The cafeteria food is also GREAT, although more expensive than most schools.

Posted September 16, 2007

Our son has studied there for more than a year. Our impression is positive overall. The teachers are devoted and dedicated, making every effort to make their subjects interesting and relevant. We like the quite rigourous workload our son has to comply with. A lot of work, but that's the way to develop the student's intellect and his work ethics. If any, Paisley suffered from a serious lack of leadership. The previous principal was on her way to retirement and showed very little -if any- interest in the school affairs. Yet, nobody else was able to make a decision on anything. As a result, nothing could happen at Paisley. More than once we tried to initiate projects at the school that required just a little more than a nod from someone without success. The red-tape was incredible. Dr. Cone, the new principal, has the chance to make a real difference.

Posted September 8, 2007

Paisley is a WONDERFUL school. The teachers are fantastic, some better than others. I attended Paisley 6th grade through 10th and received my IB Middle Years Diploma. Any parents/students who say they don t like Paisley, I am sorry, because Paisley was great to me. I ve been to Europe, Space Camp (Huntsville, AL), New York City and Washington DC, and received an excellent education. I STRONGLY recommend the IB program to any parent/student. I am a poster child for it. I have passed all my exams with flying colors, and most of that credit should go to the help of teachers from Paisley. The workload is not as difficult as some students/parents say (certainly not 30+ hours a week), but you have to manage your time and make school a priority. The IB Programme is not easy, but it s worth it. Paisley is a wonderful school with a wonderful staff/faculty.

Posted August 8, 2007

I like Paisley and I think I learned a lot more than if I was a different school. I am so glad we got a new principal! Now I recommend this school.

Posted May 27, 2007

I attend Paisley and I am in the 8th Grade, personally I feel that the cirriculum at this school is terrible the teachers really could care less about the students. The only thing that i have gotten out of Paisley in the past 3 years I have attened the school has been the Washington DC Trip and the Europe Trip, other than that Paisley has dissapointed not only me but my family and many of my friends at Paisley. The principle is the main reason this school has dissapointed us because she could care less. I would never reccoment this school to anyone!

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

56 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students39%

Limited English proficiency30%
Proficient in English53%
Non-migrant52%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students45%

Non-disabled students52%
Proficient in English48%
Non-migrant49%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 82% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2012.

52 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Civics and Economics

The state average for Civics and Economics was 80% in 2011.

56 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English I

The state average for English I was 83% in 2012.

52 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 77% in 2011.

United States History

The state average for United States History was 82% in 2011.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 56%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options