Winston-Salem, NC
Students enrolled: 1,220

Parkland High 1

Posted April 18, 2015
This school is a joke. The staff are far to focused on minute things. They make the rules up as they go. Depending on who the student is, is a factor in whether or not a student has violated dress code or some other rule. If a child does not follow their BLIND OBIEDENT RULES they are target and verbally abused. I can not wait for my child to graduate.. The staff is clueless, and rude. The Principal has yet to return my calls, I have been leaving Mr. Watkins a message once a week for two months. I would never recommend this farce of a school to anyone I know.

Posted February 07, 2015
I graduated from Parkland 4 years ago and it really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I would say I learned enough there to score high enough on the SAT to get into Appalachian. I'm graduating from App in May, and the math department at Parkland really made it possible for me to do good on the SAT, and most recently the GRE. I loved all the teachers there, and coaches. My favorite memories at Parkland were on the softball team. :)

Posted May 31, 2014
Although there are times where school can be tough, it has no difference between this school and others. Everywhere students will complain about teachers, and about the work when in reality the fault normally lies within the students. On my point of view however, Parkland is an excellent school. I have great friends, and encouraging teachers. I will be taking on the IB course next year and I can not wait to learn. I will be surrounded by smart students who are willing to learn and co-operate, and with teachers who will gladly help, and even talk to parents if needed. My school has a lot of room for improvement, but then again so is any other school. But in order to improve we'd need full participation from the students, not just the teachers. Teachers can not teach, if no one is willing to learn. The teachers are doing their best to do their jobs but we could use better participation from students. And that is really hard, when all the students get is criticism about the school they go to, as biased judgements from outsiders, can be influencing on our minds.

Parkland High 4

Posted January 17, 2014
i graduated from here about 4 years ago. it's not that bad, but the fighting was out of control there. the staff however was great. besides the one principal that yells at everyone for just walking to class. overall, i had an okay time. i was bullied my freshman year, but as the year progressed, it quit. there are students that go there who couldn't care less whether they were there or not. i do know that the test scores were going up every year i was there, so i'm sure it's still going up now. if not, it would be surprising.

Posted April 27, 2012
Parkland's IB Program is academically challenging and has encouraged our son to cultivate a personal pursuit for learning. The faculty and staff are extremely supportive and reliably communicate w/ parents which allows a good understanding between home and school. The sport coaches are actively involved with their athletes and prepare them so injuries are prevented while inspiring good sportsmanship as they win their way to the top. I consider the IB Program to be a gem in the WSFCS system and highly recommend this program to anyone considering a rigorous and rewarding academic experience.

Posted March 17, 2012
The International Baccalaureate Diploma program offered at Parkland is the most prestigious and rigorous high school program in existence. The teachers here embody the values of IB and instruct the students based on those values. Teachers here are friendly and willing to assist students after school hours. The administration is also very accommodating and will help students in any way they can.

Posted February 10, 2010
I love working at Parkland! I feel so lucky to be able to work with such a diverse and amazing student body! Parkland's public image is unfair and there are SO many of us working SO hard to change it. it is an incredible place to work.

Parkland High 4

Posted May 27, 2009
Parkland High School has one of the most hard working and dedicated staff that you will ever find in a high school!

Parkland High

Posted January 30, 2009
Hi I'm a sophmore Parkland is not all that bad of what people say i just depends on the teachers and classes that you take.The people are really cool and funny maybe crazy but every school has drama come on as long as you stay on their good side.I've never been in a fight just seen some.Oh and compared to the other high schools were diverse so that makes us awesome get over it!!!!!=D

Posted December 25, 2006
Although some of the EOG/EOC scores aren't as high as some other schools scores and the state average, the faculty and staff at Parkland, for the most part, are great. I am especially impressed and pleased with the sports programs. Coach Aikens, Fritz and Hughes are all very talented, dedicated and involved in helping all our young people succeed. My only disappointment is the lack of public support for our athletics programs (cross country and track and field) from the Parkland administration.

Parkland High
1600 Brewer Road, Winston-Salem, NC  27127
Last modified Parkland High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Parkland High Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top