Winston-Salem, NC

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted August 12, 2015
As I said before my son was held back in Kindergarten. He was not challenged or taught to be successful or give his best effort. I was highly disappointed in his unprofessional and honestly lazy at times teacher.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 12, 2015
Kindergarten did not have much homework but an occasional reading assignment. It would be good to do something besides a 'weekly reader'. Reading is very important, but so are math and other subjects.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
My son was not challenged at all in his year here. He was held back if anything. They would not give him extra work to keep him from being bored after completing assignments below his ability. This cased him to not try his best on assignments/work.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted August 12, 2015
I put neutral because I think the school is very unaware of this and does not actively teach these things based on what my son learned in his first year there.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
There is no teaching of character or standards upheld. Guidance was at a very minimal in my son's classroom. The teacher was not in control or respected by the students.

Whitaker Elementary 2

Posted August 12, 2015
I was told not to teach my son so that it was easier for the teacher to handle the classroom. They also would not give him any more challenging math work even though he is at least a grade level above in math. Not impressed to be rated so high. His Kindergarten teacher was unprofessional and did not communicate well. The principal seems to be sharp and in control.

Whitaker Elementary 5

Posted June 11, 2015
Our son attended first and second grade at Whitaker. His teachers were simply wonderful. They developed a great connection with the students and showed a clear commitment to providing the best educational experience possible. Our son found the school atmosphere to be fun, warm and supportive -- and academically challenging. The school as a whole is also run extremely well. Interactions with teachers and the school's administration were always positive and professional.

Whitaker Elementary 1

Posted January 09, 2013
I am a previous student of this school and my advice to you is do not send you child here if they have learning disabilities. 98% of the teachers do not care about your child only test scores. Also they do not understand learning disabilities I have ADHD and dyslexia, they said that I would never be above a C student and would never learn a language or play an instrument. After they told my mom this they gave up on me. I switched to one of the top private schools in NC and am proud to say that my GPA is a 3.9 and I play the violin and take Latin. If your child is a "normal" learner than it is good school for them

Whitaker Elementary 5

Posted April 10, 2011
I had two children go through this school. I am also a teacher so I know both sides of the coin so to speak. The state sets the curriculum and the teachers/schools are required to follow it. I think it is interesting that the one parent mentioned teaching to the test. In actuality, the test is on the material that is taught. It is also important to remember that when you are looking for a "good" school most of the time you look at the state report card's evaluation of the school in question. A major part of the state evaluation is the test results that a school earns. I haven't met many parents who want to enroll their children in a school with low test scores. This school is a good one and the teachers do care. Every child won't love every teacher that they have in this school or any school that they attend-- nor will the parents. It is important to remember that that is life too. Part of the school experience is learning to adjust to all different situations as well as acquiring "book" knowledge. It's important we help our children learn this lesson as well as the standard course of study or core curriculum material.

Whitaker Elementary 2

Posted March 04, 2011
not impressed in the least. My daughter had low self-esteem due to teacher pressure . We moved to a different school that understands the whole child.

2600 Buena Vista Road, Winston-Salem, NC  27104
Last modified Whitaker Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whitaker Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top