Posted March 04, 2013
I feel extremely lucky to have both of my children at DTS! The environment is academically challenging, but not inane. The teachers and staff are nurturing and respectful. Children are treated as individual learners as there are only 15 kids per class. While we may not have the funding, due to our small student body size, to have many bells & whistles (i.e., arts, electives, sports), parent & teacher involvement make up for any lack. Despite the cutbacks that the school has faced, the kids still come out ahead in my opinion. My husband & I love the school as do our children!

The Downtown School 3

Posted May 01, 2012
It is very concerning that there is almost no arts instruction at a school which is so highly touted.This is a glaring omission in a well rounded education. One of the great advantages, multiage classrooms, is being discontinued.

Posted July 28, 2009
The school environment, teachers and administrators are incredible. The DTS is truly one of a kind!

Posted April 26, 2009

Posted January 29, 2008
Three of my children attended DTS. It has been a phenomenal experience. It is a public school, with a private school feel, 15 students at most to a class. The teachers are outstanding, and truly care for your child. The kids are challenged a lot in various academic areas of learning. Parent participation is compulsory, and this has allowed families to get to know one another. I came to this country from Nigeria, and parents and staff of DTS are like my family. Ms Atkinson the Principal has been outstanding. I recommend this school all the time. Entry into the school is by ballot, and there is always a long waiting list. I can't say enough about DTS!

Posted May 03, 2007

Posted February 20, 2007
A great school! Especially for boys - very hands on learning approach. All three of my children attend the school and hopefully they will be there from PK-3 through the 8th grade. We live in Kernersville, so this is not the most convenient school for us, but worth the drive!

The Downtown School
601 N Cherry Street, Winston-Salem, NC  27101
Last modified The Downtown School is a Public school that serves grades PK-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The Downtown School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 7 reviews.