No rating

Dakota Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 106 students

Living in Fargo

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $650.

Posted September 9, 2013

Not only am I an alum of Dakota Montessori School, I also worked there while I was in high school, college, and grad school. It was an amazing experience. The programming that takes place in each environment allows children to grow and thrive. I've never seen anything quite like it. The teachers are the best early childhood educators in Fargo-Moorhead. They interact one-on-one with students in order to meet them at their developmental and academic levels. Through careful strategies, the teachers guide students to develop new skills and become independent learners. The administrators in this building genuinely care about staff, parents, and above all- the students. As an employee, I felt like a valuable member of the team. I would recommend this school to any parent who is looking for an enriching and nurturing environment for his or her child. It is simply the best.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 16, 2013

Great School as far as classrooms go for kids, however there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes parents do not know about. Major issue being a lack of HR and a check and balance for the falsely charming Dictator of a directresses. They lead the school giving certain parents unfair privileges because she likes them or they are major donators, while others are not worked with in the slightest. they do nothing to resolve tension among staff and instead will wait until someone is so unhappy they leave, which causes high turn over. I would say that if it wasn't for the staffs love of children no one would work at this school under the two women in charge for longer than a month. Rarely is there enough staff to the point that children are shuffled to unfamiliar rooms to make ratio. The classrooms staff love the children and are all very caring which makes this school a great one for the children, whereas it is miserable for the staff because leadership is so lacking. Which it will remain this way because there is no check and balance. Anyone who speaks up among staff are either ignored or swiftly fired. Change people in charge of school and it would be the perfect place
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 8, 2011

I have 2 children, a 3 yr old and a 10 month old and my kids (especially my 3 YO) LOVES the school and LOVES her teachers. I can get her to do anything if I mention Ms. Amanda or Ms. Emy will be pleased. Her vocabulary has greatly improved, she does simple math (addition and subtraction), signs, is reading at kindergarten level....I am very pleased and I am very sad we are leaving town and have to leave Dakota montessori. This was the first school I was totally pleased with...so far.

Posted December 15, 2008

This school is like non other. My daughter is in the infant program and is totally soaring. The infant program is by far the best Fargo-Moorhead has to offer. They independence the kids there have, it is truly a unique program.

Posted October 21, 2008

Dakota Montessori is an amazing and very well-run school. True to Maria Montessori with great teachers and staff, and fantastic facilities.Our children have attended for 9 and 11 years respectively. Both are now in the elementary program which is truly exceptional.

Posted October 21, 2008

I have two children in elementary, who have been in Montessori since 15 months. The education at DMS is second to none, as is evident in the state testing scores. I'm so impressed with how teachers inspire the children to excel and challenge themselves at all levels. Many student's reading skills test 'off the charts'. The teacher student ratios are better than anywhere else I've seen in town, ranging from 1:8 and 1:10 in the elementary; including lead teachers with masters degrees from accredited Montessori programs. They foster independence, time management and presentation skills, which aren't emphasized as much in traditional classrooms. I'm surprised to read the few negative comments from disgruntled parents below. While no school is a perfect fit for every child, the overwhelming sentiment I've heard from parents is extremely positive. DMS is run by a smart administrator with a great personality, who cares about each child.

Posted October 17, 2008

Only concerned about money, didn't listen to parents, very sad. The director seems imbalanced.

Posted October 8, 2008

I have 2 children at Dakota Montessori and I am amazed at the individual attention they get. They both look forward to going to school everyday and strive to do their best work. The teachers are wonderful and know how to motivate the kids. This is a direct result of the teachers knowing each child & each child's personality.

Posted February 21, 2007

We have just moved to the area, and had our oldest son in a Montessori program before this one, and we have been soooo disappointed in the quality of teachers at this school. Every single one, act as if they dread going to work each day. I don't see the joy in their faces or actions. We are leaving the school, and don't plan to send our other younger children to this school.

Posted December 25, 2006

I was at Dakota for 2 years, and I loved it. Its much better than public school, lemme tell you. I remember we'd go skating at Skateland once every month. The teachers are great, the kids are totally awesome, and its the principal is really nice and runs the school well. I suggest you send your kids here rather than sending them to a public school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 19, 2006

Dakota Montessori School offers K-6th grade, along with infant-preschool programs. The facility is state of the art and the programs, faculty and Montessori atmosphere is welcoming and warm. Our two children have experienced a top-notch education and we highly recommend this school to anyone in search of the very best.

Posted April 3, 2006

I am a parent of three children who attended Dakota Montessori School. My family was terribly disappointed in the school. We felt that the school had so much potential had it not been for a lack of management, leadership, and most of all, good judgement in decisions that effect the school, students and its families. There are many stories that I would not publish online out of common decency, but we have witnessed teachers (and families) leaving because of poor management, philosophy, and most of all, moral and ehtical reasons. The sad thing is, on the outside and on the surface, the school appears to be one of the best in both facility and staff. Unfortunately it takes time to become privy to what actually happens behind the scenes. If you have a child here, keep a closer eye and look beneath the fake sincerity.

Posted February 5, 2006

At Dakota Montessori, the directress (Principal) stands at the door each morning and greets each child by name. If some of the pre-school children are having a hard time separating from a parent on that day, a warm hug is at the ready. Although this school has the best facilities I've ever seen, (it's truly first rate!) that isn't why we've entrusted our childs education to Dakota Montessori. Instead, it's because of the warm, inviting and loving environment provided by that very directress and her amazingly talented and devoted staff. Dakota Montessori encourages parental participation with many volunteer opportunities, including the ability to influence policy or process at any one of several open board meetings--in case there is some chance that you didn't get the opportunity to speak to the very open, inviting and charming office of the directress.

Posted February 2, 2006

My child has been part of the Dakota Montessori family since he was a newborn. He has grown up surrounded by loving teachers and staff who know and understand him. He has been treated with respect and has learned to treat others with respect. He has learned that there are no limits to what he can learn, rather than being held back with 'age-appropriate' lessons. In the elementary program, he has had the opportunity to learn and grow with the same teacher and the same classmates. His teacher can meet his needs, adjusting the environment as necessary to match his learning style. The children in the elementary program are working at an accelerated level and becoming well rounded future citizens of the world. As for the staff and leadership of the school, we have found them nothing bu supportive. They love our child and hold his best interest above all else.

Posted January 30, 2006

My child has been a student of Dakota Montessori since 3-months old. Our child is now 6-years-old, and we are still experiencing problems with daily management. It may be a wonderful school, and I will be the first one to say my child has excelled in this environment, it is also the worst managed school that lacks the professionalism it needs for the level of care and education they are providing. There is no communication between parents and staff, as well as inner staff communication. The director and business office lacks professionalism, as well as a lack of policy and the enforcement of policies. They seem to fly by the seat of their pants, and I have seen family after family leave out of frustration. We are currently leaving because we no longer will put up with being treated poorly. The child does not come first in this school...business does.

Posted January 1, 2006

Our experience is PK age 2-5. This is a wonderful school with excellent facilities and teachers who are supportive, respectful, and love working with kids. My child refuses to go home early - he enjoys his teachers and classmates too much.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 21% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS
  • NAEYC
  • Other Montessori

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1134 Westrac Drive