Minot Afb, ND

Posted June 13, 2013
Dakota has been an amazing school for my daughter! She started going there in preschool for help with her speech and now is entering 2nd grade. We have had amazing teachers and room aids. I've never had an issue with any teacher or staff. The schools in this area are far more advanced academically then others so many parents get overwhelmed by the amount their kids are learning at these levels and kids coming from other schools can be overwhelmed also but the teachers are amazing at sitting down and talking with the parents to form a plan to get the kids up to date.

Dakota Elementary School 3

Posted August 14, 2012
The principal at Dakota is a bit cold and rude. She doesn't like for you to pick your child up early and has even made me wait till the class went to lunch before calling them out of class. Having said that most of the teachers are good. There has been a few that should quit. The rest are very nice and truly do care about the kids in their class. I have had a few problems with teachers saying when a child can or can not go to the bathroom. This caused an accident at school. So I had to deal with the teacher on that matter. Also they would tell my child what they could or could not eat for snack time. There were times my child wasn't able to eat the 100 calorie snack pack of chocolate covered pretzels, because the teacher said it wasn't healthy. So once again I had to deal with a teacher. The school does do fun family things though and really does try to involve the family as much as possible. Any school is going to have a few bad marks because we are all human and we make mistakes. Its what we do to fix those mistakes that is going to improve the schools for our children.

Posted July 11, 2011
My oldest son has attended both North Plains and Dakota. We have had some good and bad experiences in both schools. I loved the kindergarten teachers, speech teacher and principal at NP. It was the 1st grade teacher that made us switch to Dakota. She was very discouraging and really had nothing good to say about our son. We put him in Dakota and his new 1st grade teacher was an angel. In second grade he phased out of speech therapy and started the Gifted and Talented Program, and has LOVED it. Dakota also has a Early Child Special Education Program that is fantastic with some amazing teachers. The only bad thing I have to say about Dakota is that I don't care for the principal at all, but from the feedback I have received this is a general census. She is rude, unpersonable and cold.

Dakota Elementary School 1

Posted May 02, 2011
This scool will turn your kids in to Child services if they are THIN, but not to thin!! The communication between the school and parent isnt that great!!

Dakota Elementary School 3

Posted August 27, 2009

Posted July 23, 2009
My daughter did first-second grade here in Dakota Elementary in Minot AFB ND, and in my opinion it has been the best school I could found for her. The teachers, the principal and the staff are great and since the school is located inside the base you feel your children are super safe here... They do a lot of activities and they are very dedicated with everything regarding your child progress... Now my family pcs to San Antonio and I can not find any school that can compare to this one... This is a A+++ school, Hope all the schools were like this one...

Dakota Elementary School 1

Posted March 13, 2009
My children were always eager to go to school, but ever since they started to go to Dakota Elementary their self confidence has been damaged by the school. The school pushing these kids way more than they should academically. As a parent, I am all about encouraging my children to excel academically, but this school has hurt their self esteem instead of help them academically. They expect way too much of their kinder and first grader, more than I had ever imagined. I do not like the way the Principal handles conflicts among children and her way of handling children with special needs. If you have a child with asthma and affected by cold weather this school is not sympathetic about your child's need or accomadations. If you want your child to advance more in all levels including confidence and self esteem do not send them to this school.

Dakota Elementary School 0

Posted May 13, 2008
My oldest daughter attended Dakota from kindergarten through first grade. My youngest attended Kindergarten only. At that time kindergarten was only a half day long. When we moved to Florida we discovered our kid's were a grade behind. My youngest repeated kindergarten (it's a full day long in Florida, and she was not ready for Florida's first grade), but my oldest had to catch up. This meant 4-6 hours a night on homework and just plain working with her. Her new school put her in a reading and math program to help her catch up. By the end of the school year she was on the honor role, but it was a painful process to get her there, with many tears (both her and I). She was so far behind. They're both honor roll students now. On a good note, They both had the same Kindergarten teacher at Dakota, and she was wonderful. She only had a half day to teach, so you really can't compare that to an all day kindergarten. I think Dakota as a whole was a grade behind in the curriculum at that time. I heard it went to an all day kindergarten, so maybe it's better now.

Dakota Elementary School 4

Posted July 03, 2007
The school, itself, may not have all the facilities we would like, but the two teachers my son had (K & 1st) were superb--a wonderful combination of education, experience, and enthusiasm.

Posted April 03, 2007
Wow! I couldn't disagree more with the previous entry! Dakota Staff including Administration take a vested interest in each and every individual and situation (positive or negative) that may arise. Their best interest is in their students and the education ALL of their students receive. My child has attended Dakota for 2 years and with the choices out there, I hope to stay right here. With the number of services and extra curricular activities available (i.e. Title 1, Gifted & Talented, Speech Therapy, Band, Orchestra, PTA Events) I rate this school pretty high on the list! All it takes is 1 bad apple to plant a seed , I'm sorry that person had a bad experience but I know there are many parents out there who love this school and would rate it very high.

Dakota Elementary School
101 Eagle Way, Minot Afb, ND  58704
Last modified Dakota Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dakota Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top