Williston High School 3

Posted April 18, 2014
With a new Principal this year it will take time to transition. However, a new math tutor has been getting good things said about her by the students. She apparently is excellent and also cares about the students from what I am told.

Posted January 06, 2014
I am currently a sophomore at WHS. I moved to Williston in 6th grade and don't even know what to say about how little the administration cares about the students (district wide). It's also amazing how little content is taught in classrooms. In my freshman honors English class, half of the class did not know what an ADJECTIVE is. This year, I've started taking classes at WSC (we went through a year long ordeal to get to this point, however). Because of this, I don't have a 4th hour, and therefore do not get announcements (they're read during 4th). At the beginning of the year, people in the office told me I could get the announcements by looking online. I checked that out, and the only announcements that are there are from before school started - they haven't been updated at all. I've gone back to the office to ask about this, and see if we could find a solution. The only answer I got was, "sorry, you'll just have to ask your friends." This is just one example of how incompetent the administration is. The only good thing I have to say about WHS is that the music program is excellent. Our band and choir teachers do a great job. Most of my peers can't wait to graduate and leave WHS.

Posted October 07, 2013
Williston High School is with out a doubt one of the poorest administered schools in the country. I have had expieriance with several high schools, in othe States, and nowhere have I encountered such total ineptitude. The faculty promotes degrading of students in front of their peers. The faculty instills a defeatist attitude in students that are struggling. The faculty as well as administration are under qualified and ill prepared to handle the growth that the shool has endured. It appears that several of the other comments are right on point regarding the fact that administration forms a "hit" list of students that they passive aggressively drive out of school. Its a shame that if a particular individule doesnt fit within the perimeters of "A" typical student persona then that student is left to languish. A concerned parent.....

Williston High School 3

Posted August 29, 2012
Williston High School is a GREAT school!!! My children feel safe as a student at this school. Teachers are very helpful with there school work when needed. Everyone we have had contact with (office staff) has been very helpful and kind :) If you have never worked in a school office the beginning of the school year is very hectic !!!

Posted August 13, 2012
It is no source of wonder that this school fails perennially in testing and graduation rating. The school just sent me an incorrect schedule for my freshman son that included classes he had already taken in their own advance summer school, then told me that no changes could be made by phone. I must take time out to come to the school and wait for a counselor and no they don't take appointments. Oh btw it must be our fault for not registering correctly in the fall.. Shear incompetent insolence like that should warrant a change in administration, instead there is probably another award being pursued in order to cover up the failure. As a note I scored parent involvement low because the school seems to discourage it. When I requested an appointment to come in and change the schedule I was told I had to wait in the Queue as appointment were not given. I was further advised that it was unnecessary for me to come, my son could do it himself.

Posted December 01, 2010
Williston High has the highest dropout rate in the state and failed to make ayp because of it.

Posted October 16, 2010
I had a child who was the victim of bullying and found out that Williston Schools have no bullying policy what so ever. They simply dismissed as name calling and there is nothing they can do. The superintendent confirmed this. Also come to find out ND has no bullying laws. Victims and their families are expected to just deal with it or leave.

Posted September 26, 2010
From personal knowledge I can confirm that the Principal not only lacks leadership ability but decides based on a student's economic and social class to encourage many to leave the school. He refers to them as "people like that" and is especially quick to discriminate against Amerian Indians, working class children, and anyone who isn't well connected. Students have been harassed till they quit, encouraged to quit, told they could not come back (i.e.after pregnancy) and told they would be better off getting a GED. One moher brought her son in to talk with the principal when he indicated he was thinking of dropping put. His reply was to get up from his seat, walk over to the student, shake his hand and say "great,! let me know when you get your GED."

Posted August 23, 2010
Williston High School staff has no interest in helping students who struggle with school, achieve. They are simply told to drop out and get their GED. If your child isn't involved in athletics or part of student council they are simply ignored. My only hope is that there is a change before my youngest children reach high school, but I won't hold my breath.

Williston High School 4

Posted October 03, 2009
Our oldest child is a sophomore at Williston High School. The Teachers he has are very helpfull in keeping the parents involved.

Williston High School
502 West Highland Dr, Williston, ND  58801
Last modified Williston High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Williston High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.