Posted October 22, 2011
We are happy with Harris School. The teachers are really good with the kids, and communicate well with the parents. The PTA organizes a lot of fun programs. We like the size of the school (only a few classes in each grade). The lunches are free and all-day kindergarten is free.

Posted October 06, 2010
I am almost disgusted at this school. I think the teachers do a wonderful job with what they have to work with. The school looks like it should be condemned. My son was in 1st grade with 43 other students. he had two teachers to compensate but the kids were packed in like sardines.The classrooms get very hot in fall. My child has come home drenched in sweat. Now tell me how someone can learn in conditions like that. The school this year is on academic emergency but the school sent out a flyer stating they were on academic watch. And make sure you watch your children closely walking in the parking lot. Its very dangerous. People drive crazy My kids almost got hit twice.

Posted January 21, 2009
I was initially impressed with Harris and chose it above the other schools in the area for my son--we even went through open enrollment so he could attend because we didn't live in the right area. But now I am researching other schools because I am not happy. Kindergarten here is great--Miss Huffman is wonderful!--but first grade and up is not. After kindergarten, each grade seems to be all about doing photocopied worksheets for every subject all of the time. No creativity on the part of the teachers, no individualized teaching, no fun in the classroom. Nothing to motivate kids to want to learn at all. My son loved school when he first started in kindergarten; now he hates it...and I really cannot blame him seeing what his school day and work is like. I hope I can find a school in which the teaching is more inventive and motivational.

Posted February 06, 2008
Harris Elementary has turned into a poor school, I used to be a student at Harris and I have watched this school go bad. I have taken my children out of Harris because of the poor teaching ability and the way they do not pay attention to the students. This school needs a good wake up and realize they have fallen.

Posted February 06, 2008
I am a parent who has taken my children out of Harris School due to the poor teaching skills, saftey, and rudeness of staff. I have never recieved a newsletter that talked about the students. Would not suggest to attend this school.

Posted August 29, 2007

Posted March 19, 2005
- a former student
I think Harris is the best elementary school in Akron. In fact, we are moving and I pray that my son will still be able to open enroll in this wonderfull school. This is my sons first year here and the teachers couldn't be any nicer. PTA is great and there are always parents willing to lend a helping hand. I even compared this school to other schools in the area and I still believe its the best. Everyone just cares here and that makes it good for my son to be there.

Posted March 10, 2005
Parent Involvement is at 100% of those that care and that is just a handful of pta workers. extracutticular is as good as it can be with what they have to work with. Academic programs... well I think it could be better.

Posted January 19, 2005
- a former student
This school is a wonderful school. There are many different types of extracurricular activities, for many different learning experiences. I would not have choose anywhere else to go, but Harris elementary.

Posted August 10, 2003
I don't like the fact that if the children forget their money for a lunch ticket they have to sit at a separate table away from their classmates.It make them very self concious!

Harris Elementary School
959 Dayton St, Akron, OH  44303
Last modified Harris Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harris Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews.