Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted June 17, 2016
To the community member who tried to belittle the students and staff about the spelling of the word "griffin." Maybe you should stop trying to be so degrading and “imperialistic” in attitude and research a topic before you make negative comments. First of all, the current students nor teachers chose the mascot or spelling. It was chosen many years ago, probably during the early history of the school. Secondly, the dictionary shows more than one spelling for the word. It shows the Greek spelling, gryphon and the English spelling, griffin and griffon. It appears the originators of the mascot chose the English version—which is something Americans often due with foreign words and is why the spelling “griffin” is more commonly used. You need to get over yourself and quit thinking you’re smarter and superior than the “culture” that attends this school. You’ve actually shown how ignorant you are by not doing your research. Had you done so, YOU would’ve “educated” YOURSELF before trying to educate others. Great school. Problematic students, you bet just like any other school. But most of the students are friendly, funny, smart and determined. They just need "good" teachers who spend less time stereotyping them and who spend more time finding ways to reach them.

Posted May 24, 2016
I was a part-time Intervention Specialist at Buchtel 2011-2012. The students were extremely bright, but much wasn't expected from them in terms of behavior--no one (with the exception of a few teachers) challenged students' bad behavior. Certain teachers would claim it was the student's "culture" that made them behave the way they did (cursing, use of the "N-word", etc). Those teachers that required "better" got it! Those who didn't - CAOS!!! Also, everything seemed to be focused on TEST SCORES and teaching to the test. I'm hearing good things about Buchtel since they've gone to a new model of education (thanks to then principal Sandra Gordon who is no longer there). And I will say this, by the end of the school year, I came to enjoy the students I had. In the beginning, they were rough!!! But, I came to really like them (and I think most of them liked me too). I feel if as a teacher, if you make the effort to connect with your students and let them know where YOU stand, you will see a change in them. Buchtel students aren't any different than other students at other schools. As a professor once told me, all schools have problems---different schools, different set of problems. Also, quit stereotyping Buchtel students. Most are typical students trying to get an education.

Buchtel High School 1

Posted February 19, 2013
This school sucks im sorry but as a student at Buchtel High School this school has way to many disruptive children new children dont feel welcome and there is a bullying problem that is never addressed and the teachers start just as many fights and arguments as the students do it is wild at BHS

Posted September 26, 2012
I hope the teaching of math and science at this school are stronger than their English grammar and spelling appear to be since nobody - not even the teachers know the proper spelling for their school mascot. Your school mascot is a gryphon.

Posted October 20, 2009
I believe overall Buchtel is a good school. There are some changes that need to take place. But those changes can only be implemented if parents become involved and students begin to take ownership of their education. Buchtel is definately a school on the rise

Posted October 19, 2009
I love my alma mater because of the years I spent there and what it means to me and my community. I am a Griffon for Life!!!! Go Griffs

Posted October 18, 2009
It is my alma mater. It is where I work, and where teachers care about and provide extraordinary opportunities for students beyond the daily education we provide. Our students are national scholarship winners, and future scientist already engaged in our research university's college programs while still in high school. There is still so much more to be done to make sure that all of our students go as far as their abilities allow them. I love them because indeed they want to go that far.

Posted October 08, 2009
The kids are great and the teachers are fantastic

Buchtel High School 5

Posted October 06, 2009
Our Griffin is going to rise and take to the skies! Parents are very involved in their children's education. Teachers receive great support from principals and other teachers! Now, if I could just learn my way around this a-mazing building...

Posted October 06, 2009
Love the kids, love the staff, we are working hard to be the best school in Akron!

1040 Copley Rd, Akron, OH  44320
Last modified Buchtel High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.