Beavercreek High School

Public | 9-12 | 2495 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 15, 2013

I agree with the most recent review. Every school, no matter where you go is going to have problems, classes that students don't like, and teachers that students don't like. I feel like some people just want to complain about almost everything. We all have to deal with things that we don't like. It's PART OF LIFE! But I guarantee you that there are quite a handful of very good teachers in our school district. In fact, a lot of teachers have been teaching in our district for 20 or more years which is a good thing because they must like being part of Beavercreek School District. I feel that our school has quite a bit of diversity mainly because of the air force base being nearby. I think our schools still continue to do pretty well despite the levy not passing. Our district has a very good special Ed program compared to a lot of other ones in the area. In fact, this year our OGT results are ranked in the top 50 in the state out of 610 school districts. I think the security guards in our school are very nice, but yet they still enforce the rules to make sure everyone is safe. I would recommend this school to people who like a large district setting and safe environment.

Posted July 12, 2013

This school is great. Every school has problems or a student here or there that felt that they have been wronged. Everyone has a teacher that does not teach to their style and they hated the class. Overall, the teachers are pushed to consistantly improve and reflect. Many of us are there all during the summer and get together to share and plan. Even with all the cuts, we are doing well and striving to do better. The comments below about race are ridiculous. We actually DO have several staff members of different ethnicities and surprise...surprise...even African American. If your child felt out of place they could have even spoken to an African American counselor or the Miss Beavercreek, also African American. Hey, we have a great security guard and several top athletes that are also academic leaders that are African American. This statement really hurt below and both appeared to be written by the same person. Again, BHS is top notch and many of our students go on to wonderful careers and make impressive contributions. Anyone moving to the area should have no hesitation about our schools.- A parent and teacher...

Posted December 13, 2010

I graduated from Beavercreek and had an amazing experience overall; great upper-level teachers and a variety of extracurricular activities. A lot of parents were super-involved, so I wasn't surprised that my coaches and directors were never short of amazing. Most of the administrators were average at best though. They could be unorganized, and lack accountability on certain social issues while I attended. I also wondered how some the lower-level teachers were hired too. They seem to bat a blind-eye on certain issues in the classroom and lacked organization, which is DISTURBING. Overall, I was challenged academically, and my classmates were very competitive. I felt I was given many opportunities to succeed while I attended. If you are very motivated, or have supportive parents, this is the place for you. Otherwise, be very prepared.

Posted April 28, 2010

Beavercreek might be a great school if you are not African American and you want to feel as you don t exist. My son has had the most racial comments he has ever heard since he has been here. The teachers act as if they hear nothing and they don t do anything when they do. So, academically, this school might be great, however when it comes to African Americans they are left out. There has not been one teacher that has reached out to him, and he is a good student. I have talked with several African American students and they have the same comments. I don t think the school cares if he makes it or not. Do not send your child to this school it is not a good fit.

Posted March 18, 2010

In my oppinion, this school is great if your not African american. With a student percentage of 2% of African american's, I find that this school should have more African american students and staff. As a social worker, I had a client that attended this school and every time I attempted to visit my client, I was treated rudely and questioned to why I was there. Finally, the principal approcached me and told me that I could only come before and after school. So, academically, this school is great, however when it comes to African americans there is not much tolerance. I'm a parents of 2 girls and I would never allow my children to attend this school. I don't even think there are any African american staff at this school. As a social worker that has been in many school districts,this school lacks diversity.

Posted December 29, 2009

i love beaverecreek schools the teacher's and staff really care about each and every student and there needs and making sure they are met.

Posted May 13, 2009

I graduated from Beavercreek and it was the most amazing experience of my life. It is soooo competitive and everyone wants to succeed and mostly everyone ends up going to college. Our Superintendent is so amazing and really cares as do all of the faculty. AMAZING district overall.

Posted April 26, 2009

This school is by far the most outstanding school I've ever attended. Not only does the staff give wonderful support but also offer a diverse amount of experience. With a broad range of classes and a magnanomous superintendent I give BHS a 5 out of 5.

Posted April 7, 2009

As a graduate of the class of 2008 who is the primary caregiver of a younger brother who also attends Beavercreek schools I would have to say although Beavercreek schools has the most amazing superintendent who is always there for the students, Beavercreek schools is not where I will be sending my kids and if it weren't for my little brother having so many friends he would no longer be attending there either. There are teachers there who care about their students success and are good at what they do, but there are twice as many who simply don't care about their students success. It is a wonder they didn't build a Sylvan Learning Center closer to the school sooner, due to all the Beavercreek students crowding the Centerville location. We need somebody to teach them because the politics will just keep pushing them on

Posted December 5, 2008

As a BHS graduate of 2008, i must say i am very shocked that this school should get anything under a 10 rating. It IS true that there may be some problems due to overcrowding, budget, etc. But overall i have never seen such an amazing school; and ive been to quite a few. long story short, i am proud i have graduated from BHS. keep it goin denny!!!

Posted October 26, 2008

the school is without a doubt a failure. i present it with a 1 out of ten. the overcrowded atmosphere is unacceptable. there are only a handfull of good techers and an amazing super intentent that all the doog i can say about it.

Posted September 24, 2008

Today with a son in the class of 2010 and a grad of 2008, now a student at Ohio University. I'm compelled to write this because so many of the reviews in place focus on the 2003 budget crisis. Since then, the school has achieved enviable audit reviews and (except that the voters have not yet passed essential funding to support the district's growth) the system is in excellent $$ health. I echo that BHS has an outstanding music program. I'll add that even the football program has done a mighty turn around. The most amazing thing about BHS is the staff. From the superintendant (who works a street crossing at the school in the morning, and it seems never misses an event) to the prinipal, and her admin and student support staff and of course the teachers; the word that uniformly applies is caring.

Posted July 23, 2006

As a graduate in 2004 I can offer a recent first hand account of Beavercreek High School. The faculty is top notch, and is always willing to help every student out. The administration is very friendly, with the exception of one of the assistant principals. Denny Morrison is without a doubt the most fun, loving, and awesome superintendent around, and it's evident that he really cares for the kids. The athletics are excellent with the exception being football, soccer and basketball being two strong points. The band and choirs are also excellent and award winning. The budget fiasco of 2003 has been completely resolved and the school is in great shape. The staff is seen at most events: sports, theatre, band, choir... they interact more than any school I have ever seen. I would not hesitate to send my future children to Beavercreek.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 8, 2006

This is a great school, if you want a large school setting. The academics are rigorous, and there is quite a few course offerings at different academic levels. The band and music programs are second to none. Any school where the students rally behind the superintendant and principal must be managed well. Highly recommended.

Posted May 8, 2006

Very professional and friendly staff. Student population draws heavily from neighborhoods with scientific, engineering and technical professionals who work at Wright-Patterson AFB (Air Force Research Laboratory, Aeronautical Systems Center) and Wright State University. Superb academics, excellent marching band, great sports.

Posted April 13, 2006

As a former student and parent of future students to this school, I highly recommend this school. Its stress of academic excellence and the need for extra-curricular activites in the life of the student is reknown. A wonderful atmosphere to prepare for university.

Posted February 8, 2006

Beavercreek is a large high school with over 2000 students. It has a lot to offer! I have found to academics to be exceptional. It is better than many of the private HS in the area!

Posted October 4, 2005

The teachers here are very good and the environment is also good. A solid middle America High School.

Posted April 14, 2005

BHS has it's act together. Coming from Fairfax county in Virginia (where every high school is world class) to the Dayton OH area the schools in the City of Beavercreek got our attention. Yes there was economic turmoil in the recent past, but today the taxpayers trust the leadership. The problems that exist today are the kind every school district can envy... too many families moving into Beavercreek because the schools attract them. The most notable organization at the school is the marching band. Don't take my word for it check out the website. http://beavercreekband.com

Posted September 9, 2003

I must first admit that I am not the parent of a current or past student there, but a recent graduate with children who may potentially attend. I had a great experience with most of the teachers there. Like any other student, I had my issues with specific teachers and administrators. All that aside, I would have no problem sending my children there if the current budget fiasco were straightened out.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

572 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

574 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Ohio used the Ohio Graduation Test (OGT) to test students in grade 10 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. State averages displayed on public school profiles include public schools only. State averages displayed on private school profiles include private schools only. The OGT is a high school graduation requirement for public schools and chartered private schools. The OGT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Ohio. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

Hispanic>=95%
Economically disadvantaged87%
Disabled74%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Ohio Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

109 (2011)

104 (2010)

106 (2009)

105 (2008)

120

Ohio uses the Performance Index to provide an overall indication of how well students perform on its standardized tests each year. The Performance Index scores are based upon how well each student does on all tested subjects in grades 3 through 8 and 10. Schools and districts earn anywhere from 1.2 points for each student scoring at the advanced level to zero points for each untested student. The Performance Index ranges between 0 and 120, with 100 as the statewide goal for all students.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

No Value-Added data was reported for this school.

In 2010-2011, the Ohio Department of Education used the Value-Added Measure to show how much growth students made on the Ohio Achievement Test since the last school year. The state expects that student test scores will show an average year's worth of growth compared to test scores from the previous year. Ohio's Value-Added Measure is not the same as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), a federal measure which uses different criteria.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Ohio. Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores, ACT participation (% of 11th graders taking the ACT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Asian 6% 2%

Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%
Students with disabilities 12%N/A15%
Source: OH Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2660 Dayton Xenia Rd