Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

My child is in his 5th year at PCMS (preschool, kindergarten, which he repeated due to his birthday and our personal preference, and now 1st grade). My son is not a child who would be able to easily excel in a traditional classroom setting. We chose PCMS in part because our son could be up and moving more of the day, instead of spending all day sitting at his desk. We have never regretted that decision. He has been exposed to multiculturalism, creative problem solving, and encouraged to take responsibility for his actions. He has engaged in music, art, and movement /physical activity not only through specific outside-the-classroom activities in those areas, but also as integral parts of the Montessori curriculum. I utterly disagree with the reviews I see that say these things are not taking place; I see the work my child brings hime, and he tells me daily about what he is doing in school. -- Our son has excelled at PCMS. Our son's teachers have been creative, kind, and dedicated. The classroom environment is positive and uplifting. Our admittedly sometimes challenging son has been treated only with love, kindness, and respect. We feel like we have won the lottery with PCMS. We look forward to all three of our children attending PCMS one day.

PCMS promotes life-long, curious students who love to learn. They are gracious, peaceful, and kind citizens ready to better the world. The community is open and accepting with a strong emphasis on family involvement. I love the Montessori philosophy that allows for child-led learning. My 1st grader was reading at a 3rd-grade level, working off the 2nd-grade spelling lists, mastering multiplication, and starting to learn division. But more than that, he was encouraged to "Always Be Curious" and always be peaceful.

We're going on our third year at PCMS and have no plans on changing that anytime soon. Their approach to teaching/learning is unlike any other public school. My children love going to school everyday and I feel more than confident in their safety and well-being and their continued growth - academically, emotionally and socially - at this school. The teachers and administrators are caring and more than capable of rising these kiddos up to be successful people in more ways than just academically. I am so thankful to have a public school in a private-like setting for my children.

My son is entering kindergarten after 2 years of preschool, and we have nothing but praise for the school. The Montessori philosophy may not work for every kid, but our son is doing great! We loved the continuity of cohorts, especially early on. There is huge parental involvement and support, which makes a big difference. And we've been so impressed at the maturity and motivation of the upper elementary kids. Because it is a public school that draws from several districts, the diversity of ethnicity, culture, and thought is greater than I had anticipated, which is so valuable. We have limited our housing and job locations to stay in the participating districts!

We feel so fortunate to have found PCMS! Our kids have been there for five years and are now in 3rd and 6th grade. The Montessori approach is such a refreshing alternative to education. The school is like a big family and the teachers are wonderful. We would recommend PCMS to everyone!

Both my kids love PCMS, and so do we, as parents! It's a great place that allows kids more freedom than a traditional school setting while still teaching them everything the need to succeed, academically and beyond. Highly recommend!

Both of my children attend PCMS. This school provides quality education based on the Montessori philosophy. In addition, I love the great sense of community it builds. As an educator myself, I feel confident in our choice to send our kids to this school. It's a unique learning environment among the finest of today's public schools.

We have nothing but positive experiences at Portage Montessori. Montessori education is the best for our children and are very excited to have both of our girls now enrolled here.

My child has been attending PCMS for 9 years. There have been ups and downs but overall very positive. While he was struggling in lower elementary, he teacher and aide willing discussed any concerns (positive or negative) whenever I wishes. They made time without causing distrubion to the class time. The transition to upper elementary was very stressful due to the drastic changes the children are faces with a new teacher and new expectations. The last couple years have been even more difficult due to the mandated Common Core that has been impossed upon even our Montessori school. The teachers have been working hard to try and incorporate the new material in as much a Montessori manner as possible. Yes, some teachers can be easier to deal with than others and have different skill sets but I have found all to be great people if you take the time to properly talk to them and not just bark demands as I have witnessed some parents. Art and music is provided to all classes. The instructors are paid through our PTO not the school disticts PCMS have a collaboration. This adds some limitations but the school works are to find or means to off set such as in class projects but add a more educational twist. If interested, just visit and see the happy faces on the children.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are all different and have their own specialities. Some are more organized than others, while others are more artisitc and sporty. They communicate with each other so that each classroom is on the same track so one is not doing subjects others are not. The teachers opening listen to options on how they could incorporate or proceed with any subject.

Last modified Portage Collab Montessori Middle School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.