Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Portage Collab Montessori Middle School 2

Posted January 31, 2016
We have been extremely underwhelmed with PCMS, specifically one primary teacher and the administrator. Very little resembles a true montessori education. There is next to nothing in terms of art, music, etc. They are fed nothing but worksheets and receive very little instruction. Children who need help don't get it without a fight. They are not encouraged to be independent, they are left to hang in the wind. There is a difference. We are very involved parents who volunteer in the classrooms of both our children and work hard to be involved in both their academic and social lives. Communication with one teacher in particular leaves a great deal desired. She is unengaged, disorganized, unkind, and does not seem committed to her profession. Repeated meetings with the teacher and administration have only confirmed our concerns and nothing has changed in the two years in her classroom. And we are stuck with her another year. This has been a very disappointing experience and both our children are behind their public school peers. This will be our last year here. We are enrolling elsewhere in the fall. This school is now rated a 6, down since we enrolled. Think twice.

Portage Collab Montessori Middle School
Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted January 31, 2016
There are a couple of very good teachers. There are two terrible teachers. When you are stuck with a terrible teacher for three years, it can have a huge impact on your child's esteem, attitude, and achievement.

Portage Collab Montessori Middle School 4

Posted November 13, 2014
I have found the opposite to be true of the most recent posting. I could give specifics but I will keep my personal situation private. (I do find it disheartening that parents feel the need to air their grievances about a particular staff member in this venue.) There are MANY wonderful staff members at PCMS that are wonderful educators.

Posted November 08, 2014
May be a good fit for your child, as long as they fit a certain mold. If they don't, watch out. The current administrator apparently takes exception to children with special needs, meaning he doesn't really want to deal with the extra work that comes from a challenging child.

Posted October 06, 2014
PCMS is the best kept secret in the area! I feel so lucky that my children are a part of this great school! It not only meets my expectations of their education, but exceeds them! I love that the excellent teachers and Montessori philosophy foster my children's innate passion for learning and curiosity. This school focuses and thrives on the same goals I have for my children: independence, discovery, motivation, self-discipline, leadership, character education, and academic abilities.

Posted May 26, 2014
We have been incredibly impressed with PCMS, especially the middle school and the quality of the education that is provided there. Students at PCMS learn planning and organizational skills that are far beyond what is taught at a regular public middle school. Not only that, they learn to think outside the box and experience new things that may be out of their comfort zones. Students of all intellectual levels and backgrounds can get an excellent education at PCMS, but not only that, they also learn to be accepting of one another despite their differences. PCMS doesn't just teach students academic material; it teaches them how to live great lives and how to become successful, high-achieving and well-rounded individuals. -- An incredibly satisfied family

Posted May 21, 2014
I do not agree at all with some of these previous postings. I feel the entire staff has the kids' best interests at heart and goes above and beyond the call of duty every day to help each child. They have a wonderful track record; if someone had a bad experience it is certainly NOT the majority!

Portage Collab Montessori Middle School 4

Posted May 02, 2014
Our family has been a part of PCMS for several years now. We have been quite pleased with our experience thus far. We do agree with the previous review stating that a school is only as good as its teachers. This can be a challenge. As with any learning environment, parent involvement makes a huge difference. Being a part of our children's education and experiences with peers has resulted in nothing but positives.

Posted April 22, 2014
IF THERE WAS A WAY TO GIVE 0 I WOULD! The teachers a nice until middle school. The assistant teacher was nice but the main teacher didn't want to help at all! If you want your child to have a good education don't send them here.

Posted October 12, 2013
Do NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL!!!! When your children get to be middle school age, they do not pay close enough attention to them. The kids in the 7 & 8 th grade think they rule the school. They repeatedly bullied the teacher's aide in my child's class room and no one did a thing about it. Additionally there were shady things going on during the bus rides home. The teacher repeatedly put my child at risk for being bullied and when my child told the teacher said that she did not believe her. If you want your child to be safe, do not send them here.

Portage Collab Montessori Middle School
239 Portage St NW, Canton, OH  44721
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. (330) 966-1912
Last modified Portage Collab Montessori Middle School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.