No rating

St. James the Greater School

Private | K-8 | 675 students

Our school is best known for its strong academic curriculum.

Living in Cincinnati

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $116,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted January 29, 2014

I have one current student at St James and one future student. I couldn't be happier with the level of education and the sense of community St James provides my child. The teachers and staff truely care about all the childrens needs no matter their abilities. We are 100% satisfied with our decision to send our children to this wonderful school

Posted January 27, 2014

St. James is a wonderful school with excellent teachers. I have two children at St. James and one who will attend in the future. The teachers want each student to succeed and work closely with parents. The school has every resource available if your child might need extra attention. I feel welcome at the school and enjoy attending school events. I know that my family made the right choice with St. James. We continue to be impressed by St. James on a daily basis.

Posted January 25, 2014

Moving into the west side of Cincinnati 12 years ago, we were encouraged to look at the curriculum that St. James offered. Our four children have received not only an incredible education, but nurtured in a very caring, supportive environment with a wonderful staff and teachers. The reputation of St. James precedes the graduates, as we have witnessed when our older kid's high school teachers comment- 'you went to St. James, you will be a leader in this class', or ' Oh, you're from St. James? You will be totally fine with this class level (honors).' The class sizes are just the right size, and the junior high curriculum and fine art/phys ed electives let the children choose their interests. Service and extra curricular opportunities for growth and leadership begin early and continue throughout these formative years. The cafeteria offers several selections, including an ever-popular salad bar, and our beloved school nurse is full-time, and totally committed to our students well being. Choosing to move to White Oak, because of the 4-time blue ribbon winning school, St. James, was the best decision we have made for our four children and one we will never regret.

Posted January 24, 2014

I have a three children at St James and another that will be a kindergartner in the fall. I can not say enough good things about this school from the staff to the children to the families behind it all. We struggled with our decision on where to send our children when we first moved back into this area 6 years ago. I am so glad that we chose St James. I have three very different students in the way they learn and retain information, but are all equally challenged daily to reach the next level of success in a very positive and healthy environment. They love their teachers and enjoy going to school everyday. The school has gone through many changes in the last two years and I feel all are for the better and the school as a whole is growing in a great direction. There are so many options for the children during school, after school and through the parish and athletics that I think all students are guided to be the best version of themselves. I am involved in the classroom as well as other aspects of the school and look forward to getting more involved in the years to come.

Posted January 23, 2014

I have two sons that have graduated from St. James and a current 5th grader. All three of my sons have differing abilities and work at different levels, and my oldest has learning disabilties. All three have received a great education from St. James. The teachers are caring and worked with my children at the level appropriate for each of them. We have loved our experience. My kids have found academic success and were well prepared for high school. They have grown to be faith filled, confident young men, in large part due to their experience at St. James.

Posted January 23, 2014

St. James has been a great place for my 4 children. I'm not sure that I fully appreciated the value until my oldest entered high school. He was well prepared not only for the challenge of school but also for life. I see well rounded, good hearted kids that care about their peers and community at St. James. The staff and administration at St. James seems to be always looking for ways to make life better for the kids. It is such a peace of mind to have a place like St. James to send my children to.

Posted January 23, 2014

We love that St. James has such a high regard for academics, Christian living and parish & school community! We know that our children are receiving a top notch education & are making lifelong friends & memories at the same time! We continue to be very happy with our experience at St. James.

Posted January 23, 2014

To keep it short and sweet: I can't express how thrilled I am with my choice to send my kids to St. James. It is a wonderful school and I can't say its' praises enough. I would highly recommend this school to everyone. My family and I LOVE St. James!!

Posted January 22, 2014

Saint James is a great school! I have two children here and they are thriving! The school truly cares about each child and they are giving my kids an outstanding education. My experiences with the teachers have been so positive - they show great care and concern to make sure my kids are learning and succeeding. I would strongly recommend this school to others!

Posted January 22, 2014

I have two children at Saint James School and have been very pleased with their education and the growth of their faith and maturity into caring, compassionate young adults. I went to public schools all my life and making the choice to send two children to private school has been a challenge with some sacrifices along the way. I have to say it has all been worth it. The curriculum is challenging but I believe it's a healthy challenge. The teachers truly care about the students and want them to succeed - in the classroom and in life. Our family recently suffered the loss of a loved one. The overwhelming support from our children's teachers and classmates and parents of classmates made a very emotional time easier to bear. The daily prayers and open discussions on faith in the classroom have given our children an inner strength that will guide them their entire lives. They will leave Saint James well prepared for high school, but more importantly, prepared to be faith-filled leaders for life.

Posted January 22, 2014

Our daughter has been a student here for 6 years. It has been a wonderful experience. It is a great atmosphere where kids are taught Catholic values and prepared well for high school. The teachers and staff care so much for the kids . They go above and beyond in every instance. It's the best elementary school on the west side of Cincinnati.

Posted January 22, 2014

We absolutely LOVE St James. Teachers are AWESOME as well as a great staff and administration. My child has been challenged when needed and offered help when needed. The open communication is great too. I can always email the teacher and get a response within the day. Now, I have been reading some reviews about bullying. I don't care what school you are at, there will ALWAYS be mean kids. Besides, the value of treating others should be taught at home first. St James has recently done a great job bringing a speaker in to talk to all the kids about bullying to reinforce what should be taught at home. They had different sessions for each grade so the speaker can talk to "their level" so that they can understand. With two new and AWESOME administrators, changes and ideas are always welcome and wanted. Every school needs improvement in areas. We believe St James will continue to get better and we wouldn't send our kids any other place.

Posted January 22, 2014

We have two children at this school and we couldn't be happier! The teachers are wonderful and caring. The administration is enthusiastic and very approachable. Our children are receiving an excellent education and we are blessed to be a part of such a wonderful, welcoming school community. We are thrilled with our decision to send our children to St. James!

Posted January 22, 2014

I have had 3 children go to St. James and I attended it as a child as well. I have 2 still there and one has moved on to high school. I love the school, the staff, and the environment. The administration has recently changed and they are truly the "A Team". A few years back we had a different principal and the vibe of the school was completely different. Now, they want the kids to have fun and learn in a safe and happy environment. The staff seems very happy with our principals now, where before there were more complaints. There have been so many positive changes over the last 2 years and all of it benefits the kids. I have a child with Type 1 Diabetes and the nurse has helped him feel safe and comfortable at school. Everyone treats him the same and is there to help him whenever he needs it. I feel like St. James prepared my kids for high school very well...academically and mentally. My oldest is succeeding easily in high school and I know this was due to his preparatory classes from St. James. I have no regrets about St. James and encourage everyone to send your kids there. They truly care about your kids and teach them to put God first, then others, then yourself.

Posted October 12, 2013

I have only negative comments about this school. One of my biggest regrets is having sent my children there.

Posted September 12, 2013

I think St. James pushes its students too hard. I don't appreciate second and third graders coming home with six hours of homework at night. If St. James pushed kindness on its students as hard as they push homework they could really have a great school! Unfortunately St. James sees no value in teaching kids about being kind and the students are pretty cruel. I hope St. James makes some improvements.

Posted May 25, 2013

I wish I could offer a fabulous review of this school. I really do. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed with it. In my opinion, the biggest area with issues was the religion area. I didn't feel my children learned much about being a Catholic while at St. James. I felt St. James had far too much bullying for a school that was affiliated with a church. St. James wasn't a good school for my family and I can't say I know any families who felt it was a good school for theirs.

Posted May 25, 2013

This school was not a good one and I didn't like being there. End of story.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 15, 2013

I am thrilled with the education my 2 school-age daughters are receiving at Saint James School. The academics are rigorous and the teachers are top-notch. My daughters feel respected and liked by their teachers. My children are gathering all of the necessary knowledge they need to succeed in life and are also getting their religious and spiritual needs met as well. My daughters have many friends and enjoy the American Heritage Girls program, too. They find the specials classes especially satisfying computers, physical education, music, art, library, and Spanish!

Posted May 5, 2013

When it comes to writing a review of this school I have nothing positive to offer here.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 1% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:05 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Michelle Hinton
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
St. Xavier High School