Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Walnut Hills High School 2

Posted February 04, 2016
I have been to five other schools other than Walnut due to an active-duty parent. I feel as though this rating is high because it's in Cincinnati Public school district. My experience was that they teach you like a normal school does. There is nothing amazing about the school except how many AP classes they have or because it made a list in some newspaper. Most people get kicked out so they can keep their high ratings. They really don't care about you there. The orientation is mediocre to the ones I have experienced before and it was hard talking to a counselor about class set-up and the school in general. Overall, it's a huge school with too much going on. In my opinion, I am blessed that my parents got transferred again before I graduated from Walnut. I am also happy to say that with all the schools good and bad I graduated with a 3.8 in the NHS. I will never think highly of that school especially since I have experienced many other schools that were better. Many opinions are biased, but mines is strictly based on my diverse experiences! Happy school hunting!

Develops grit: Agree

Posted February 04, 2016
You have to have determination in this school with your grades or they will kick you out. I like that it is a microcosm of the world in which we all live after you are out of your parent's home.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted February 04, 2016
The only thing I loved about Walnut? It got me ready of the physically walking to classes on campus and how rude, obnoxious, self-centered people can be. You don't need to act a certain way because you feel great. I didn't learn nothing from this school about any salient personality traits. My family taught me that.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted February 04, 2016
HAHA! I am so sorry, but people cheat at Walnut. I remember in English my teacher gave us a test all True answers. Some individuals told second period then many students answered all trues, but it turned out their test answers were all false. The other period had mixed answers and some answered all trues too. I have heard MANY stories of people cheating to stay in that school. I am not a perfect person, but being a military brat I was told to NEVER cheat. There is no fairness at Walnut. You have to be a favorite. I could never get an appointment with my counselor and I stayed to myself because people tended to portray themselves as great because they were a WHHS student. I thought it was funny how everyone- because of word of mouth and articles- think this is a terrific school.

Posted November 05, 2015
My child continues to grow intellectually and emotionally due to the rigors of Walnut Hills. She is challenged by the amazing teachers. The diversity is one of the best things about WH. She is learning that not all children come from homes/families like hers. This is helping her become a more compassionate and understanding person.

Walnut Hills High School 3

Posted May 01, 2015
Our school has an amazing theater program. Unfortunately all of the artistic achievements have been squandered by the utter adoration of the football team that our principal has. The theater and arts departments are rarely recognized and when they are its usually very brief. Unfortunately, our football team is sub-par.

Walnut Hills High School 4

Posted October 23, 2014
This school is great for academics and preparation for college. It is a great institution for kids who want to be challenged in their academics. I was a student who graduated in 1992. I chose military service after high school. Where this school fails is in the attitudes of the administrative staff and some of the teaching staff. Following my time in the military it was necessary for me to have my transcripts sent to the college that I was attending. Since I no longer live in the Cincinnati area it became necessary for me to send an old friend to pay the fee to get the transcripts sent. While he was there the person he spoke to thought it was funny that I didn't go to college right after school. The comment was something to the effect of "It is about time". I guess the idea of it never being too late for education is lost on them.

Posted February 20, 2014
I am a junior at Walnut hills, i graduate in 2015. Great School. If your child is motivated, this school will work for you. To all students: grades 7-9 will be stressful. You will get annoying busy work, but don't worry. If you take advanced classes later on, there is much more freedom and time to enjoy non-school activities. There is much diversity at Walnut and it gets you prepared for college VERY well. I honestly do not have to work that hard for my 3.3 GPA and 3.7 weighted. it is not an extremely difficult school like it is claimed to be, but you must actually work and learn how to test. To students: No, seniors do not call you "effies", and no, you won't get "canned" by anyone... thats all just rumors your hear about walnut when applying. Drama at this school is very minuscule if you place yourself in a good group of friends. At walnut, everyone is kinda open. there are no true cliques. thats what i love about the school. I can honestly talk to 95% of the people in my grade about anything and theres no "shunning" or any of that BS you hear about in high school. Keep in mind there is much cheating at this school. Its common. It will happen. Over all, Walnut is worth it.

Posted January 18, 2014
The poster below suggested that students at Walnut Hills are "not that smart" because they only need to score 70% on the entrance test to get it. This is not true. An applicant must score at or above the 70th percentile, which means that he or she is among the top third of students taking the test. So by definition the students that enter Walnut Hills are among the top third students academically in the greater Cincinnati area. My son is currently one of those students and he loves it. The education so far has been great as well as the many opportunities for extra curricular activities. Principal Brokamp is very personable and shows a true caring and regard for his students. Alums I meet praise the school highly. Overall, a great experience.

Posted December 03, 2013
I am currently a senior at Walnut with several younger siblings attending and we all love it. It is a big transition from elementary school because 7th graders are treated a lot like the high schoolers. Students have a lot of freedom but it is really not abused. Going here gives students a huge advantage, I do more work than most other kids in the city, including private school students, and have greatly enjoyed my time here. Walnut is the best school in the area and anyone who says otherwise is probably trolling. Great diversity and great preparation for life. The "Honors advantage" has been lowered by offering AA courses correlating to the honors classes with equal weighting to non-Honors students. Amazing school with amazing opportunities.

3250 Victory Parkway, Cincinnati, OH  45207
Last modified Walnut Hills High School is a Public school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.