Public charter
Cincinnati, OH

Hamilton Cnty Math & Science 3

Posted November 10, 2014
At first I thought this school's high academic standards was great for my child. Going into his 3rd year I discovered that things that I had overlooked, such as yelling for discipline, lack of professionalism and etiquette had become huge problems. There is also a high turnover rate for teachers, many of them are inexperienced and it shows. I do not recommend this school.

Hamilton Cnty Math & Science 1

Posted October 28, 2014
I thought this school would be a better alternative to Mt. Healthy public schools, but I was wrong. My son attended for 2 days. On the second day, he was in aftercare and went out the wrong door by mistake when he was sent outside to play with the other kids (mind you he was 5, and the second day of school). Once he was outside he realized he went out the wrong door, but the door had locked behind him. He was out there by himself for an hour, crying before anyone knew he was missing. My mom showed up to get him, and they couldn't find him. Luckily he wasn't hurt physically, but he had nightmares for weeks. I tried to have a meeting with the principal about how to avoid it happening again, and to make sure my son was always accounted for. She ignored my request, but sent her husband. In the meeting they blamed my son and took no reresponsibility whatsoever. The aftercare teacher laughed and called him a crybaby. The principals husband (the director) became aggressive and began yelling and banging his hands on the table when I didn't agree with him. They told me how 4 other children had been misplaced on buses

Posted September 17, 2014
This is now my son's second Year here. He is now a 1st grader. I like the school a lot. One thing about the school is that i would like to be involved in my son's school. They dont allow you in to the school that much. I Understand its for security perposes or even the fact that they think it may be a distraction to the classrooms. I've only had the chance to meet my son's teacher one time and that was the 1st day of school. They've had one open house and i was given wrong dates on the paper that was sent home. i would like to see more teacher and parent communication. I hope that this improves. Other wise i think its a wonderful school.

Posted April 30, 2014
Wow where do I start.....as a partner of a kindergarten through eight grade my son was highly educated from the teachers to the principal whom took his education too the next level from vigorous curriculums to also learning the important of being educated in life. Thanks again for all your learning experiences of educational

Hamilton Cnty Math & Science 3

Posted June 19, 2013
My daughter recently graduated from kindergarten at the HCMSA. The school is okay. Academically it seems really good. She learned how to read and write and all kinds of things but I feel there was a lack of parental involvement encouraged. Aside from chaperoning field trips parents are not really even aloud in the school. It is not what I was expecting for my daughter's elementary years. My mom was always aloud to be involved at my school growing up. I don't feel like I really even got to know her teacher very well because aside from an occasional conference or field trip I never saw her. Another negative is that they say each grade takes Spanish 1 day a week and I know they do have a Spanish teacher but my daughter said they never did Spanish. There is also no music or art class which is a downfall. I am also not sure why the school is predominantly African American, but it is. MY daughter is biracial so it isn't an issue for me, I just never really understood why there are not more races mixed in the school. Overall the school is better then what the surrounding districts have to offer but it's not the ideal school for MY daughter. Overall I give it 3 stars.

Posted June 14, 2013
The teachers and the administration work extremely hard to help all of the children that attends the academy. I have three children at the school and they have been there whenever I have asked for assistance for my children. A school that receives an "Excellent with Distinction" rating from the State of Ohio tells me that learning is going on in the school every day. This is a great school and I highly recommend this school. This school organization prides itself on being available to any student and any parent daily. The rating that the school received was not given to them. The teachers, administration, and staff earned every bit of their current rating. Congratulations for a job well done. A concerned parent.

Hamilton Cnty Math & Science 1

Posted June 13, 2013
:DONT LET YOUR KIDS GO TO THIS SCHOOL... :ALL THEY WONT IS YOUR MONEY!!!!! :TEACHERS ARE NOT VERY HELPFUL WITH KIDS THAT HAS LEARNING PROBLEMS SKILLS. :PRINCIPAL AND HER HUSBAND IS GHETTO!!!!!

Posted October 11, 2012
i am glad that i chose this school for my boys i appreciate the vigorous curriculum and the tons of homework i am glad we left the finneytown school district i made a great decision hopefully they will have extended grades through highschool so my kids can stay there its that great!!!!!!! the entire teaching staff takes pride in their job.

Posted August 16, 2012
I like the teachers and I like how they are there to teach. I have not yet got my feet wet to determine if this school is what my grand baby needs. But I do know she is happy there and she is striving because I help with homework and studies with her. I limit TV time and find interesting things to do with her. It isn't easy when you work and tired but it is rewarding to know your children are doing well at school and that the teachers are doing their part. Parents have to do theirs as well it can not all be put on the teachers.

Posted January 20, 2012
My daughter started HCMSA her kindergarden year. I have been amazed on how much more she knows over my other child who attends school in Northwest school district. Because I wasen't please with the education system in Northwest schools I prayed long and hard where to send my daughter for kindergarden. When I was lead to send her to Math and Science Academy I was very frustrated with her work load at first. At that time I felt it was to much work and to much of a challenge for her age and grade. After the second quarter I was fine and impressed on how much my child had learned and was able to take in. As the parent I had to adjust to the work load never my child she knew nothing diffrent .As a result my daughter has excellent study habits and we are at the library on a regluar basis( her request). She is now in first grade at HCMSA and she is still being challeged.She loves her school and her teachers. NOW if you are a parent who doesn't get involved with your childs education and think it is the schools job alone to educate your child you might not want to send your child there. Remember it takes a village to raise a child and you are a part of that village. Great School!

Hamilton Cnty Math & Science
2675 Civic Center Dr, Cincinnati, OH  45231
Last modified Hamilton Cnty Math & Science is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hamilton Cnty Math & Science Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top