No rating

Salem Christian Academy Elementary

Private | K-6 | 220 students

Living in Clayton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $107,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Sweep tile

Posted October 24, 2013

SCA needs to create new policies. They always answer with "it's our policy". They never have a known answer to why certain things are in their policy. For example, children get in trouble for sneezing, having to use the bathroom and for being sick. If my child has to go to the bathroom, SHE HAS TO GO! Don't give her health problems by making her hold it in. Also, they don't let you drink water in class. Imagine your child dying of thirst and having their teacher tell you "water is not allowed in the classroom". They only have a few water breaks each day at certain times. Do not send your child to such an uncaring school.

Posted July 25, 2011

I was totaly disappointed with SCA. I primary reason for sending our kids there was due to the Christian background and discipleship claimed by the schools administration. We were there two years and found the leadership unapprochable, the teachers did alot of nit-picking and very little encouragment toward our children and none of the teachers prayed with our children about issues of concern as was told to us when we toured. Only one teacher who left after our first year actually walked and taught the Christian values and boy did we miss her. Negative comments were made about our children by the office staff which I don't believe they thought we would find out. We prayed heavily about our children continued attendance and decided it was time to depart. It was only after we left did we get feedback from other parents, who withdrew before us, who had experience the same treatment.

Posted August 15, 2010

SCA is AWESOME! 1 boy completed and another there. We couldn't imagine a better school for our boys. Thanks SO MUCH for the TOTAL DEDICATION by all the teachers and staff.

Posted May 29, 2010

This school totally MISREPRESENTS itself as a christian school. It is more like a public school with christian elements thrown in for good measure. They profess great faith and expectations of Godly like character from their students yet they tolerate bullying and fail to discipline or weed out the bad elements in the school. My child encountered repeated bullying from the same children year after year yet they were never disciplined beyond a talking to. The blatant disregard of authority from these children was astounding. Not to mention the lack of integrity from the principal and staff when following there own disciplinary policies. The associate principal even went so far as to lie to me when confronted with a situation that happened regarding my child. I know of several parents who have had the same things follow their child year after year as the principal chooses to look the other way.

Posted October 1, 2009

I have 4 children, 3 of which have gone to, or are currently attending SCA. I love the school and all they have to offer us as a family. The school does expect more parent involvement than your average public school which helps to keep us informed at home of my child's progress and their weaknesses. Again I have 4 children, I work part-time and go to school myself full-time so my time is limited but the school has still kept me involved and aware of how my children are doing academically. If you want to send your children to school and not be involved in their academic progress until report cards come home, this school is not for you. But if you want a school that is built around the family as well as it's students this is your school!

Posted February 5, 2009

My son went to Pre-K and K at SCA and my wife and I were not real impressed with the classroom participation and cirriculum. At the end of the year they sent several books home with him and told us they didn't get to those and we needed to teach them at home. What did we pay them for? We moved him to a different private school for 1st grade and parents followed their children around for the first day. I was embarrassed at how far behind my son was. Thankfully with his new schools sincere commitment to education and tutoring, he was up to speed in a few months. Very dissappointed in SCA.

Posted August 13, 2008

My daughter has attended SCA since Kindergarten, and is now entering 3rd grade. Overall we have been very happy with her quality of education. Teachers are very caring, and while they expect the students to work on their own, they are available for help. They expect a high standard from the kids, and the majority of the kids rise to that standard. Keep up the good work!

Posted August 2, 2008

Two of my three children have attended Salem Christian from preschool on up. We now have a 2nd grader and a 5th grader that attend this school. Like all schools, we have encountered some issues but overall my family has been so incredibly blessed to be a part of SCA. I love knowing that my children are surrounded by those who love the Lord and truly love my children. Academically and spiritually our children have been challenged to grow and we know so much of who they are has come from the surroundings found at SCA.

Posted July 11, 2008

I love SCA. My daughter has attended SCA for the past 3 years and we have nothing but good things to say about it. She is much more advanced then her friends that attend other schools. The kids are challenged with their school work and the teachers / administration are great! I wish they went past the 6th grade.

Posted January 23, 2008

Our kids have been at Salem for three years and we have only positive things to say about the experience. Yes, the homework is challenging but it helps us as parents to know how our kids are doing. We would recommend SCA to anyone who is looking for a smaller, more personal school where students are challenged and where prayer and lessons in moral character and leadership are daily activites.

Posted November 19, 2007

SCA use to be a wonderful school till it changed principals. The homework is very demanding and the teachers do not help them at all. They can not talk nor ask questions. The afterschool care is a free for all and no one to help the children with homework, no tutors, nothing for the children but a big jungle jim. Avoid this school if possible.

Posted January 15, 2007

this school is the best school I have found I went to alot of schools and didn't find one like this Salem Christian academy has wonderful music art gym and computer classes it gives my kids a wonderful education and my kids love it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 26, 2006

My children have attended SCA for 3 years now. Classroom involvement is not encouraged other than field trips. I love the facility, but, not impressed with teacher quality and how teachers work with the kids. The afterschool program is a jungle gym, nothing organized and you are charged a premium. JWA

Posted May 18, 2004

So far three of our four children have passed through Salem. It has been nothing short of a wonderful experience. The leadership is top notch and the teachers are dedicated. It's great to have such a wonderful school in our area.

Posted February 23, 2004

Good School, no lunch room so children must pack a lunch every day. School is strong academically but weak in sports (no programs) and leadership.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:00
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Rev. Timothy E. Kegley
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Church of god
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• YMCA activities on campus

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Parent volunteer program- classroom and computer lab help, kindergarten center day, etc.