Bad
Good

Our six year old had a wonderful year at Canterbury; her teacher was extremely attentive and communicative throughout the year and we always knew what was going on in the classroom. The Canterbury community is very involved and supportive - plenty of activities for parents to get to know each other and an active PTA. My only gripe, and this is probably an issue at all Heights schools, is the amount of candy/junk food that seemed to find its way into my kids belly throughout the year. But overall very satisfied with her experience at Canterbury.

We weren't greatly impressed with Canterbury, it was okay. The teachers were great. The way some things were run in the school were quite annoying. The building is charming but extremely old! There is no air conditioning. The hot days are miserable for the kids, especially the older grades whose classrooms are upstairs. The pta was great and many parents are involved. It is a very diverse area. Many children had to go to the before and after care, which I felt wore them out. I felt like a lot of kids were disrespectful and unkind to teachers and other kids, but that probably because some came from rougher homes. Honestly, I was so relieved when the year ended and we moved to a different school.

we are incredibly impressed with Canterbury Elementary and CH-UH, after a transfer from a private alternative school a few years ago. the parents are engaged and there are many ways to get involved, in the building or district wide, no matter your skills or interests. the Heights is known as an area of activists, many of whom send their children to the public schools. besides aftercare, after school programming is vibrant. recent opportunities have included programming from Shaker Lakes Nature Center, yoga, drumming, dance, martial arts. Canterbury teachers do a remarkable job within often limiting state/federal policies. in 2014 Canterbury was awarded a State of Ohio Honor School of Progress, after 5 years of improving test scores, especially among our most disadvantaged students, who even when behind, get a full year of growth in each grade. Canterbury received the designation of Excellent from the State in 2012. we love the stellar arts programming, and we can walk to school. the campus is huge and gorgeous, in a friendly and diverse residential neighborhood. our daughter feels comfortable being as quirky as she wants to be.

A number of significant improvements have been put in place at this school in the last several years. For example, the school has now adopted the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum, which includes language instruction (Spanish) at all levels, starting with K. The math and reading programs are very strong. There is a variety of high-quality after-school enrichment activities. In addition, the school instituted a zero-tolerance anti-bullying policy in the last several years that has markedly improved this issue. Our child has attended Canterbury Elementary for the past two school years (K and 1st), has received an excellent education, and enjoys being in school.

The staff is great in class, however they can't seem to get the bulling under control. Teachers are not required by contract to watch the students between school and bus time. The result is a lot of fights and verbal bullying on the playground and befor and afterschool. I have been dealing with this for three years (since kind.)

I am very happy with Canterbury. My children are in Kind. and 2nd, and are both excelling here. Very caring teachers, and very active parents.

Canterbury is a very caring school environment. The PTA does a lot of activities to provide funds for field trips, playground equipment and after school activities. My son seems to know all the teachers and kids from kindergarten through the third grade. My son is in the 2nd grade. He is a special needs student and his kindergarten and 1st grade teacher still comment to me on how he's progressing in the school. Although I don't care that much for his current teacher, I'm looking forward to his teacher in 3rd grade. Overall, is a caring and nuturing environment

This is a great school and I would highly recommend it to anyone moving into the area. The principal and teachers are professional, passionate, caring and really interested in the well-being of the students both academically and other wise. What I like about it is that it is a small enough school where everybody seems to know each other.Caterbury has a diverse student population. The educators do tolerate bullying so I have heard very little about any bullying at school. I am new to the public school system but I cannot be happier with the education that my children are receiving at Canterbury. There is a high level of parent involvement and there are many activities for families during the school year. There is an after school program (at a cost) and several after school recreational programs are being offered. An overall great school!!

Last modified Canterbury Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.