Cleveland Heights High School 2

Posted February 20, 2014
The education quality in the school is decent, with a strong AP intiative, however because of the interdepartment/small school politics very little is ever achieved. The current security initiative is a joke and the security has ridiculous amounts of oversight, just as an example, a friend of mine entered the school in the morning and was hassled as to where his id was, however no mention was made of the large canister of liquid nitrogen he was carrying. It's incidents like these that make school policies commonly lauded as jokes in the school.

Cleveland Heights High School 2

Posted October 14, 2013
I am a sophomore at Heights and I can say from personal experience that it is not a conductive learning environment. The small schools were supposed to help gear students towards a career, but they are horribly mismanaged. I am a Legacy student, who chose legacy based on the math, science, and engineering aspects of the school. However when I started at a freshman, I was placed in "The Impact of Science on World History" a combined world history and physical science class, physical science being the 8th grade standard that I had taken the year before. I was them placed in algebra 2 even though my recommended class was honors algebra 2. I was told that neither of these could be fixed because my combined class was a set legacy class and legacy did not offer honors classes. They did however offer a honors "option" where you do slightly more work without learning anything different in order for it to appear as an honors course on your transcripts. When I tried to transfer out of legacy I was bullied into staying by staff members. The overall learning environment is loud and distracting. Fights and riots break out over nothing and staff do nothing to control it. Horrible school.

Posted July 31, 2013
My daughter will be a junior this year and my son will be a freshman. AP US History was a rigorous class. The teacher assigned a lot of essays and worked with my daughter to improve her writing. She earned a 4/5 on the AP exam, so I'm confident that the instruction was very strong. The music program is first rate, and reflects our community's passion for the arts. There were 16 AFS students in the Renaissance School last year representing countries from Europe, Asia, and Africa. We have met some wonderful families through Heights Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, Golf, Hockey, Cheerleading, and Singers. There are many high quality opportunities available at Heights if you are willing to work hard and take initiative. The workforce is competitive. Brazil, India, Russia, Mexico and China (with the USA) will be the six most dominant economies by 2050. My kids are gaining a competitive edge by learning to work, learn, and live with people who have different perspectives and cultures than their own. If students run out of academic opportunities at Heights, they are eligible to take courses at CSU, JCU, Case, and CCC for college credit.

Posted September 13, 2012
We moved out of Cleveland Hts before my kids had to attend here. My step-son attended CHUH High and it was horrible. We weren't informed that he wasn't showing up at school until his report card came - NO ONE attempted to let us know. Great. The whole 3 years he was enrolled, he floated through without doing any homework - they just kept passing him to the next level. His father pulled him out & had him do his last year with an online school. He couldn't pass unless he did the work. Duh. Communication with parents was non-existent. Administration was gruff and disgruntled. What dress code? Pants below knees on boys, and very inappropriately dressed girls, horrible language, all with no words from staff. Gang fights in the hallways & at sporting events were not uncommon (check the news). No respect or sense. The "Small Schools" initiative sounded like a good idea, but it was horribly mis-managed, very disorganized, confusing, a big failure. We made sure to move away before our other kids would be subjected to this poor excuse for a school.

Posted September 13, 2012
The ratings of 5 of 5 stars in 2009 & 2010 are completely ridiculous. Have to be administration or some of the rare few people that had a good experience here during this time. Bad bad BAD school. I can't think of anything good to say. Well, the elementary school - Gearity - wasn't too bad, but the district is closing that school, so no.

Posted April 10, 2012
This has to be one of the worst, poorly run high schools I have ever encountered. I say this nOt only as a parent of 2 children who attend, but also as a graduate. The security guards are a joke at best, way too friendly with students, poor communication skills, often off chatting amongst each other, there does not seem to be any dress code in place, boys pants are down to their knees, girls are in everything from night clothes to evening wear. The language in the halls in the presence of school administrators is a disgrace and never corrected. Both my children have managed to maintain high GPA's I accredit to my husband and I being very involved parents, incredibly terrific, focused children, and a few great teachers. I am overjoyed that this is my youngest child's last year. I would highly recommend home schooling before enrolling a child here

Posted October 12, 2010
The amount of progress this institution has made since the Small Schools Initiative is impressive.

Posted January 29, 2010
I graduated from here a few years ago and can honestly say I loved Heights. I really miss the experience, the people I met there, and the excellent education I received there. Heights is a rough school, but what you take away from it can completely change you. I transferred here after attending catholic schools in the city, and found my education experience much more satisfying. What you get out of Heights is up to you; the opportunities are there for you to take or leave, I was prepared for college and the 'real world' after I graduated because Heights showed me a sense of reality that the world isn't a lilly-white paradise. I can honestly say this school changed me for the better.

Posted December 10, 2009
i am a senior at cleveland heights high and i've been there all four years. i love it.the small schools are amazing because it makes it seem as if the school isnt really as big as it is. the teachers are awsome because they do anything and everything to help you succeed. the honors/ap courses are very good and challenging. extracurriculars are plentyful.pretty much CHHS has a lot to offer and as long as you take advantage of it you will love it. downside:the kids who just dont care and make trouble

Cleveland Heights High School 4

Posted September 10, 2009
Im a senior at heights and i really enjoy this school. they offer all different kinda of clubs and sports to get invovled wih. Also Cleveland Heights has wonderful Pseo programs and is one of the only 2 schools that participates in Seniors to Sophmores which is a advanced form of pseo where you take all class ona college campus and get you in excellent shape for college.

Cleveland Heights High School
13263 Cedar Rd, Cleveland Heights, OH  44118
Last modified Cleveland Heights High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cleveland Heights High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews.