No rating

St. Ignatius of Antioch Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 345 students

Living in Cleveland

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $49,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Sweep tile

Posted September 19, 2011

If you have a child who has special needs save yourself and find a better school. Our little girl has learning disabilities and this school as stated on their website " we accomodate kids with disabilities" but unfortunately that is not true. I have no complaints with the school teachers they are great and wonderful but the principal is not and once the principal sees your child not doing so great she will call into a meeting and ask you to take your child elsewhere. They make you spend money in materials and other things, then after a month or so dismiss your child. They don't even allow parent involvement or classrooms visits. So please if you have a child with special needs take them where they will be great taken care of.

Posted February 22, 2011

I am so disappointed with this school. When the previous principal was there it was very well run. Now the school is completly down hill. The teachers are making up rules and regulations outside of the Board of Education and even withholding food from the children as form of punishment. I rated this school a 5 before but no longer would. I would definately not send my children here.

Posted August 21, 2008

My son has been here for 4 years and does great, all A's, as for cramming Religion in to everything it is a catholic school, need I say more. the first four years his teachers have been wonderful,, doing things to keep the kids intrested in learning. and that is what it's about

Posted February 20, 2008

I went to this school and had a miserable time there. The children were mean...the teachers were so-so. The curriculum was confusing and I don't like how they add in religion to almost every subject they do, it isn't very fair to the non-Catholic children.

Posted April 23, 2007

Yes, I do believe the teachers are doing their best (maybe a bit more patience is needed), I also believe discipline needs to start at home, it is not solely a teachers responsibility. I also feel that cramming our kids with homework because you want to prove that we are up to par with other schools is wrong.

Posted March 28, 2007

The quality of the academics are wonderful! They realy care about our kids. They can be a bit strict at times but I know that they do care. The teachers are caring and helpful!

Posted March 25, 2007

I have two children in this school. This school is always having candy sales, market day, and magazine sales, for student go on field trips, so far my son went to one and we ended up paying for the trip. The only thing they care is about money.

Posted March 4, 2007

I have 2 children that attend St. Ignatius. Iam so greatful to have had such wonderful experiences so far. i would like to take this time to thank the amazing teachers i have had the pleasure of working with. i understand that Ms. Needham came to this school and cleaned house. she is what the school needed at the time. she has moved on and wishing her well is what we should do. i am not too surprised with the people that have issues as well as surprised for the lack of understanding and the lack of acceptance. issues or no issues we as a community of parents, teachers and children need to work together to strive for the best and resolve the issues and problems that may arise. I look to the future of St. Ignatius with hope and faith. I am a proud parent and parishoiner!!

Posted March 2, 2007

The teaching staff are dedicated individuals and the new principal brings a calming atmospere.My children that are attending St.Ignatius are well discipline and are learning. Every time I am at the school going by the classrooms the teacher is in control not the students. The principal is available to talk by making an appointment. This principal has been supportive to my children and family . It is hard to change things your first year at any school or any job.

Posted March 2, 2007

What a challenge it is for anyone to come into a new building. This is the time to observe and become familiar with staff, students and their families. To assess what is working and what needs improving. Things don't change overnight, they evolve. From what I have witnessed, Ms. Ricksecker is doing that. She has taken a great effort to know the students and truly cares about them. A breakfast program has been implemented under her direction. She has personally taken Grades 5 through 8 on skiing field trips, getting to know the students outside the school setting. During this Lenten season let us be more mindful of our Catholic/Christian background and step forward to be helpful instead of hurtful.

Posted March 2, 2007

When I walk down the halls of St. Ignatius School I do not observe many of the things that I have read about here. I have seen Miss Ricksecker talking to the children and interacting with them each day. She was the one responsible for taking the students in Grade 5-8 on field trips to Boston Mills so that they could have an experience that they may not have been able to otherwise have. The breakfast program was instituted by her this gives some of the children the opportunity to eat breakfast and have a heathy start to their day. The discipline in any school is primarily the responsibility of each teacher and they are the ones that are to be held accountable in their classrooms. It is not possible for any principal to be everywhere in a building all day long. The enforcement of the dress code is the joint responsibility of the teachers, parents and the principal. There are many administrative responsibilties that a principal has to accomplish each day. Miss Ricksecker handles all of the problems that are brought to her in a fair and just way. It is not possible for anyone to make decisions that will make all parties involved happy. What counts is that the decision that is made is just and fair to all parties involved.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 1, 2007

I went to St. Ignatius as do my children. Times have changed and things are certainly different. This is our third principal since being with the school. Sr. Terry was great but times were changing and the school needed to catch up with some of the newer technological advances. Ms. Needham came and helped t bring us into this generation. When she arrived it wasn't all smooth parents had isuues but she confronted the issues and parents head on and earned respect. Ms. Ricksecker is new and has been given an opportunity to familarize herself with the school. She makes no effort to get to know students or parents

Posted March 1, 2007

The issues at hand are simply that for a catholic school dicipline is lax. Education wise we are behind. Go look at other catholic grade schools and you will see first hand the difference. There are no major projects assigned. Science Fair where did it go? Yes, this year there is music but only grades k-5 attend classes.

Posted February 28, 2007

I came to this school after many recommendations and feel as though it was a fantastic choice. The staff is extremely well trained and are current on the latest trends in education. The students are well cared for during the school day and the school is running smoothly on the inside.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 27, 2007

Our child is in one of the lower grades and she just loves the new principal. She knows my child s name and always greets her. We ve talked with her and she seems fine to us. It s a pretty large task taking over a school and trying to get everything to work the way you think it should. It s not easy getting to know 450 children, their parents, and all the teachers in one year. Likely she won t be able to please everyone it s been said that Jesus had an issue with that also. There are probably issues that have been going on for years and have not been addressed. That s a fair assessment. There are also many positives that get overlooked because people find it easier to place blame than to come up with solutions. The new teachers bring a fresh attitude and the lower grades have Music, which they haven t had in a while. However, things like this need time to work, more than one school year.

Posted February 24, 2007

We have a new principal this year and everything has gone downhill in terms of discipline. The school children seem to have taken over. The new principal has no communication skills with parents or students. The best run program is the sports.My son graduated within the last 2yrs and he was not prepared for High School. A survey was done by the previous principal asking parents what they need to see changed. The school is way behind in spelling/english. My children never had a major english project or report. I believe that the curriculum has to be set higher!

Posted February 21, 2007

My child has been going here just a few years & it's because I was told by family & friends that St Ignatius was a good school. Honestly I haven't had any complaints until this year. The new principal is very low key, doesn't get involved, & doesn't interact or communicate with the parents. The kids are out of control this year. My child rarely has homework & it's not because it's not being done, because my child gets good grades. The way these kids dress is ridiculous why do we have a dress code if it's not being enforced especially the length of the skirts on most of the girls. It seems like they are just letting anyone enroll just for the tuition money, that along with the new principal & absolutely no structure or discipline the school has gotten as bad if not worse than a Public School.

Posted August 22, 2003

My son has attended St Ignatius for the past 3 years and will be attending again this school year. The principal, Ms Needham, is excellent. I often amazed at how she can remember the names of every student and knows the parents of each student, as well. The teaching staff does change, as public schools offer a higher pay grade and teachers tend to move around, but even when there is issues to be dealt with we have no problem with any of the staff offering to help out. Most of the activities at the school are supported by parents. Of course not all parents get involved all of the time, but there is a definite dedication shown to the school by the vast majority of parents as well as other faily members. I love having my son attend St Ignatius and wish that he would always go there - but sooner or later he wll have to leave to attend high school. I can only hope that I am able to find a school-student-parent relationship as rewarding as this one has been.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (216) 671-0536

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Cleveland

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10205 Lorain Ave