School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am proud to have been part of this school community for the past 16 years as a parent, teacher and, for the past five years, as the head of school. The teachers and parents have formed a uniquely close community and work together for the benefit of each child. I encourage anyone searching for an alternative school to visit MSHR and observe for yourself the environments of respect that allow each child to work independently and in community with their peers.
April 2, 2011

Posted January 29, 2014
Cleveland Montessori (formerly the Montessori School at Holy Rosary) has provided a solid educational foundation for my children. They are well rounded individuals who are able to follow their own interests and have the skills to get along in a variety of settings. It is a small school with potential for growth and has a good reputation for quality Montessori.

Posted August 15, 2013
well rounded school. I don't agree with the last evaluation. The school provides a good learning environment for kids.

Cleveland Montessori 2

Posted May 19, 2013
This school is one of the worst in children education. Literally if you are looking for your child to learn and advance in his academics, then this is not the appropriate choice. Basically what they teach basic skills for a daily living, which is great for the young ones, like sowing, making coffee, cleaning, etc. But seriously it's not for older children who are supposed to learn how to read and write....The principal does't have an idea of what's going on with your child (even though it's a very small school) and nether do some of the very same teachers who are in charge of your child!!! They preach healthy life style, while many are morbidly obese, they focus on the community more than what's going on in the classroom, etc. The education is erratic, when you go to observe the class, the children all seem to be lost not making any choices at all, and the teachers are just looking at the clock.....

Posted March 16, 2011
My daughter started at the school 2 1/2 years ago and we absolutely love the school. The teachers, except for one, are intelligent and engaging. Our daughter has learned so much since starting here in preschool. The parents are very involved with the school and the environment is family oriented. Most of the parents know each other and interact regularly, which helps to build strong bonds in the school between families. Out of the entire school, there are 3 faculty/staff members with which I have experienced negative issues. The director can be rude and abrupt and there is one particular teacher that does not perform well in the Montessori environment. Despite this, the school is well run, affordable and safe. Genuine care and understanding goes into the education of each child. While we have considered other schools after Kindergarten, we have found there is really no equal comparison and we have decided to stay put. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Cleveland Montessori 0

Posted December 11, 2009
I have had two children graduate from the Montessori School at Holy Rosary and I currently have 3 children enrolled. I have been very pleased -- both with the Montessori method of education and with the unique community here. My older children are in high school now and are both 'A' students - well prepared and able to think and act with great self-motivation and independence. I like the 'freedom with responsibility,' the well-prepared teachers, the beautiful and intelligently designed Montessori environment. This has it way over the 'command and control' traditional educational environment. I also like the social justice and faith community here -- using the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program to teach the Christian faith through hands-on materials, scripture and liturgy -- all involving the child personally in their own spiritual formation, rather than being 'talked at' by the teacher. And we all love the Little Italy neighborhood.

Cleveland Montessori 5

Posted July 03, 2006
My 2 children have attended MSHR since age 4, my daughter will be entering 4th and my son now in 2nd, so I have 6 years experience with the school. I have always found the teachers and the administrators to be completely approachable and genuinely concerned about not only a child's education, but also their development socially and emotionally. As an example, my son was having problems retaining lessons given by the teacher, who gave every effort to repeat lessons and give personal attention. Finally an appointment was made with an expert who did a thorough evaluation. The improvement is stunning and I am 100% sure we would not have received such attention in a public school system. Teacher turnover has been a concern, but in time the concerns have proved to be unfounded. The pricing is competitive and the location is diverse and stimulating.

Cleveland Montessori 2

Posted April 01, 2004
My child was in preschool at Holy Rosary. I wouldn't recommend it -- it doesn't live up to what I'd heard and read about Montessori schools valuing each child and encouraging him or her to guide the learning. The principal demands strict conformity to the policy and philosophy of the school, to such an extent that some parents feel they aren't respected and their children's learning is stifled. The problems in the relationship between my child and the teacher may come from the fact that the teacher doesn't have many years of experience -- with more time in the classroom I'm sure the teacher will become more perceptive. The teacher is slow to take the initiative and find ways to help the children challenge themselves -- one of the things I'd been hoping a Montessori school would do. Parents interested in Montessori preschools should look at other schools in the area.

Cleveland Montessori
12009 Mayfield Rd, Cleveland, OH  44106
Last modified Cleveland Montessori is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Cleveland Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews.