442 students|Citizens Academy

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I had a close relationship with my child's teacher. The teacher kept me informed on what was going on in the classroom and what was going on with my child. The teacher always took extra time to plan creative lesson plans to keep the kids engaged.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is given every night but it isn't too much. My child spends a little bit of time on homework every night. My child always has time to relax and play at night.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Students are held to a high standard. Students are expected to follow all the rules, and they know if they break a rule that there will be serious consequences. This helps promote honesty, integrity, and fairness not only in the classroom but also in everyday life as well.

My child had a great time at Citizens Academy East. My child learned many new things that he can take outside of the classroom and apply to his everyday life. I felt that they kept the parents engaged and up to date as to what was happening within the school and classroom.

This school is extremely UNPROFESSIONAL! My child has been a target of numerous suspension every year he has attended this school. They have given me the impression that suspending young children is an easy way not to have to deal with them. My son has been suspended more times in each of the three years (Kindergarden, first and second) than My sister, brother and myself combined for all 12 years of school. I have never witnessed anything remotely similar to this extent. Also they have NO SUPERVISION for my child to get on the after school van. They allowed him to miss the van and charged me $25 for him to stay in the late room. Even though the after school van came back to get him. No one notified me that he was not on the bus. I found out one month later when they sent me a bill for $25 that threatens to hold his transcript back because THEY did not make sure my 8 year old got on the bus SAFELY!!!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND SENDING ANY CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL. ACADEMICS ARE FINE.... But your child will be dumbed-down by unessecary suspensions and treated like a robot!!!!!

This school is very unprofessional and will do anything they can to your child once they are found in the wrong. Once they were advised on an incorrect grade for one of my children they began to harass and accuse my child for anything. They gave my child an in school suspension for the teacher asking him to pick up computers and the teacher left out the class with no supervision just kids, so a child refused to turn off the computer and give to my child to he turned it off for him and got the computer. The other child decided to push my son and my son pushed back. Luckily a child ran for help and they came but because the other child had family in the school they tried to say my son did everything. My child had never been a behavior problem any where including here, until I challenge citizens Academy. It is hard to find someone to have come and challenge them on there unprofessionalism. This is ridiculous my son was a straight A student until this year when they place him in this behavior class this year and new teacher to the school who can't control her class.

My grandchildren attended Citizens Academy and I was not pleased with them at all. My grandson has ADHD and was treated horribly at this school. He was constantly suspended and did not learn anything the whole year. They constantly called myself and his mother to pick him up because they could not deal with him. They knew before he came to the school of his condition but they acted as if they didn't. They said they could handle children with special needs but they certainly could not handle him. I know he can be a handful at times but he is actually a very sweet child and very intelligent. He often said his teacher did not like him. At first I was skeptical of what he was saying but I think he knew what he was talking about because he was sent to the office every day. No one ever took the time to know who he is and that maybe he was frustrated being thrown out of the classroom every day, being teased by the other children and often not taken on field trips. I would not recommend this school if your child has special needs or needs special help because they are not equipped to handle them and constantly penalize them because they do.

My child attended CA 2005-08, the staff and teachers were great in meeting with me and my child about our concerns. However, they did not value the fact that children are individuals and have different personalities. The staff called me at work almost daily for trivial things such as my child took someone else's pencil and used it. My child was challenged in reading but not so much in math.

This is my daughter's first year at CA and she's on her third homeroom teacher and her math and literacy teacher is going on maternity leave until May. The school has great potential but some of the challenges are disconcerting. Additionally, computer is listed as a class but most weeks they don't have it but we can give computer instruction at home but they shouldn't list it if they aren't eqipped to truly offer the instruction. These inconsistencies are troubling but we're 'hanging in' for now. Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray...

My daughter go's to C.A.E and so does everyone of my little cousins, that equals up to seven. C.A.E is a school you have to everyone you know about it, all the kids are so advanced, there's no fighting, you can see the respect with the teachers and the kids. I do agree with(Extracurricular Activities).

Last modified Citizens Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.