Newton D Baker School

Public | PK-8 | 497 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 9, 2013

I believe someone is posting false positive reviews to boost the rating. Come on, four reviews with five stars all written on September 9th. I am giving it two stars from my child's experience there.

Posted September 9, 2013

This is the best Cleveland Elementary/Middle school in Cleveland. If you are moving to Cleveland, you definitely want to move to West Park so your child(ren) can attend this school. All 3 of my boys went to school here from K-8th Grade. They have so many programs for your children to involve and enrich themselves in. Art Club, Music, Band, Drama Club, Dancing, Sports, Reading Club (My boys were highest readers in the school and met & had dinner with the Harlem Glob trotters, Cleveland Browns & Cleveland Indians as rewards). The School is ALWAYS neat and clean, Teachers are very friendly and supportive if your child has special needs too.

Posted September 9, 2013

Newton D. Baker School of the Arts is a phenomenal school. It is located in the heart of West Park. West Park alone, is the best city to live in, in Cleveland. The staff, volunteers and programs are a tremendous value to this school for students. My daughter attended NDB from K-8th. She still talks about how much she loved that school and misses it every day. You will not be disappointed. Your child will grow and learn so much.

Posted September 9, 2013

My parents first stuck me in that constellation school behind NDB when we moved to Westpark. I hated Westpark community school. The principal Ms. Balldizzi was mean, the lady never smiled. I was being bullied and when I went to her to tell her what happened, she told me to toughen up. It went on for months until my mom and dad pulled me out and put me in Newton D Baker. Everyone was super friendly, no one picked on me, I was well liked and the teachers have a zero tolerance for bullying. Mrs. Sheppard the principal at NDB is very very nice. She gives great hugs and is always encouraging us to have a great day and keep up the good work. GO WILDCATS!!!!

Posted September 9, 2013

Just moved here in July to Westpark. Both of my daughters love NDB. Teachers were very helpful with the transition for them and welcoming them into the new area. One of my daughters has Asperger's and the school has all the fundamentals to help her stay focused and achieve a successful future highschool adult life.

Posted August 18, 2013

I went to this school 1st - 5th grade. Im am 26 now and have always said if I ever have kids this is the elementary school they will attend. This school was so fun and they challened me, if I was told to draw a sphere they wanted a sphere and a circle was nowtgonna do lol and I loved the challenge. AMAZING SCHOOL

Posted August 5, 2013

My 3 year old daughter attending Preschool there in May 2013 fell off the playground there, broke her arm and received ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL ATTENTION WHATSO EVER. It wasn.t even reported until the next day when the teacher seen my daughter was absent. Their Preschopl program haas a teacher and a teacher aid so there were 2 staff members at the site of the accident. They claim my 3 year old showed no signs of destress which I thought okay maybe until she reinjured ths summer and I knew just by her cry it was her arm. My daughter got sent home on a bus saying Dear Mom your daughter fell off the playground this morning. She cried for awhile so she sat next to me thanks. I understand accidents happen but once I reported it I still haven't received ANY PHONE CALLS FROM THE SCHOOL, BOARD OR TEACHERS!Wow!

Posted July 10, 2013

Newton D. Baker School of the Arts is a thriving, learning environment that accepts all cultures, backgrounds, and diversities. Their teachers exemplify a caring atmosphere determined to change these young children's lives. Newton D. Baker School of the Arts and their surrounding West Park community engage students young and old to follow their passion. The staff is inspiring and engaging which reflects why they were awarded the Blue Ribbon of Excellence. It is my hope that the city, state, and nation grant schools like this more of an opportunity to expand their arts department as it is a valuable and core curriculum for these students. While being in the middle of a failing school district, Newton D. Baker has continued to strive for excellence in the face of defeat. I recommend this school to all parents and guardians looking for the opportunity to give their child not only a chance in Cleveland but an education that is always evolving, improving, and inspiring. Keep up the great work.

Posted May 26, 2009

I am also a former stundent of NDB . I have to admit i did have its downfalls but what school does'nt. But dont get me wrong I LOVE THAT SCHOOL . I will always carry the lessons that i have learned at NDB and cherish them . If you are thinking of take yopur child here i say YES ! . You find that everyone is friendly and ready to learn . My mother loved that school so much that she would take me from 147st in kinsman on the east side to 159th in westpark . There are i great mix of races . And when they say no child is left behind they truely mean it . GO WILDCATS !

Posted January 22, 2009

it the best Blue ribbon school it has great teachers and students.

Posted July 30, 2008

I am a former student at Newton D. Baker, and i loved that school. I started going there in the first grade, and left in the eigth. I relly appreciate all that came out of it. I really miss that school, and will never forget the people who got me where i am today. I now attend John Hay, and i was prepared for high school coming out of N.D.B. I reccomend this school for any body is ready for challenges, and loves opportunities because. at Newton D. Baker you can find all that and more.

Posted May 30, 2008

I have gone to ndb since kindergarden and i have one more year to go. i really appreciate the teachers i have had because the have helped me to get where i am. i am a straight a student. i have been in many of the extra cirricular activities my school has offered such as dance ensemble, violin (w/ atotal of 6 yrs!), art club and many more. i encourage parents to send there children here because at ndb no child is left behind. it is unfortunate i will b leaving next year but i cnt wait for high school. o and GO WILDCATS!

Posted November 17, 2007

my daughter has been going to NDB for almost 5 years now and I am so glad we were able to get her into this school, she is excited about learning and focused on her goals of becoming a dancer. Between all her regular classes she is in art club, dance club and conflict mediation and has begged me to never take her out of this school.

Posted May 3, 2007

My daughter has went to NDB for 4 years now. We are getting ready to move out of the city and I will certainly miss NDB. It has been a wonderful experience for her, the teachers and staff are wonderful. She was able to take Dance, Drama, Violin, and Art club. This is one of the best if not the best school in CMSD.

Posted April 24, 2007

Two of my children attend N.D.B. and they very much like their teachers. The academic quality of teaching is outstanding. My only worry is the security at the school where all kinds of people, be it parents or other, are allowed to enter the building with, what seems to be, little supervision. This is a great concern for me. The security in the school should be re-evaluated.

Posted May 8, 2006

We have two children at Newton D. Baker School of Arts. The staff and the programs are excellent. I would highly recommend that anyone in the CMSD consider sending their children to this magnet school in the Westpark neighborhood.

Posted February 19, 2005

The quality of teachers at Newton D. Baker is outstanding. Our Daughter is happy and excited about going to school each day. She is learning so much! We are so pleased!

Posted July 30, 2004

This was my children first year at N.D.B. kindergarten and first grades. The teachers are the best. With my first gader attending another school for his kindergarten year I had the chance to compare teachers from two schools, and I have to say the teachers at N.D.B. are excellent, their caring, patient and kind. They always strive to make sure the students are learning a variety of subjects that can be carried on even into adulthood. They make sure no child is left behind (like I experienced at another school). Parents from other schools (some private) are amazed at the knowledge my children have at their young ages and how well they adjust to other cultures. I tell them it's all because of N.D.B. I wouldn't have it any other way! The entire staff,parents, principal are all wonderful. -Peacenlyn (V.P.)

Posted June 5, 2004

My daughter just completed kindergarten. We are moving out of state and NDB is what we will miss most. NDB is wonderful! She has flourished this year. Her school experience this year was very positive, and has given her confidence that she can succeed. Academically, she is far ahead of her old friends from the suburbs who attended kindergarten half days. This school is wonderful.

Posted May 23, 2004

I love this school! I currently have two children here and one that graduated from here and I can attest to the fact that NDB is one of the best schools in the district if not the best! If it were not for NDB going to K-8 I was considering homeschooling my son now it is not even a consideration. When my daughter left NDB and went to the school of science her new teachers were so impressed with the education that she had already recieved and commented on how much more advanced she was than some of her other peers that did not attend NDB. So believe me when I say that the children of NDB really do learn more! -Alicia

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Ohio used the Ohio Achievement Assessment (OAA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The OAA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Ohio. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

All Students45%

White70%
Economically disadvantaged74%
Non-disabled81%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Ohio Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students44%

Economically disadvantaged16%
Disabled0%
Non-disabled23%

Source: Ohio Department of Education

In 2010-2011, this school received an Overall Rating of "Below Expected Growth".

Grade 4MetBelow
Grade 5BelowBelow
Grade 6AboveMet
Grade 7MetBelow
Grade 8MetMet

In 2010-2011, the Ohio Department of Education used the Value-Added Measure to show how much growth students made on the Ohio Achievement Test since the last school year. The state expects that student test scores will show an average year's worth of growth compared to test scores from the previous year. Ohio's Value-Added Measure is not the same as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), a federal measure which uses different criteria.

86 (2011)

92 (2010)

87 (2009)

93 (2008)

120

Ohio uses the Performance Index to provide an overall indication of how well students perform on its standardized tests each year. The Performance Index scores are based upon how well each student does on all tested subjects in grades 3 through 8 and 10. Schools and districts earn anywhere from 1.2 points for each student scoring at the advanced level to zero points for each untested student. The Performance Index ranges between 0 and 120, with 100 as the statewide goal for all students.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Ohio. Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value-added estimates from the state of Ohio.

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%

Male 57%N/A51%
Students with disabilities 29%N/A15%
Source: OH Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options