Louisa May Alcott Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 175 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 3, 2013

The teachers and staff are excellent and caring. Many special needs children get great care from the educators at this first rate school.

Posted October 15, 2012

My child has attended LMA for several years. I have not been entirely satisfied with our experience. My child has special needs, and I feel they regard her as a nuisance rather than help her succeed. Also- They are too quick to offer medical advice; telling us what kind of medication she should be on, what kind of mental disabilities they think she has (even though her doctors have ruled out all of these diagnoses repeatedly). My child is now behind in her studies and I don't feel she's getting the attention neccessary for her to thrive academically. The principal and teachers are nice people, I just wish they would pay more individualized attention to students with special needs.

Posted January 6, 2012

I am sure if you bring this issue to Principal Stull, it will be nipped in the bud immediately. This has to irritate the teachers there as well who need to have their aides at full attention. She runs a tight ship and her and LMA are the best thing CMSD has going for it. Alot is done at this school with very little resources and Priincipal Stull and the teachers there are extremely dedicated and responsive. Please make sure you bring it to her attention

Posted January 4, 2012

I do not like the aids use of so much time on their Cell phones during school hours. Use your cell during lunch time. They are on their cell phones at times for 20-30 minutes during school hours. Totally wrong they could use that time better for the children. That is why I give it a 3 .Get off the cell during school hours and you get a 5 so they use that time for the school and not on the Cell phone

Posted August 7, 2009

This is a terrific school- possibly the best elementary school in Cleveland. LMA cannot be topped when it comes to the care and motivation shown by both Mrs. Stull and the teaching staff. Every person, including the non-teaching staff, knows every child in this small, 'right size' school. I had my reservations about sending my child to any Cleveland Public School but I am so glad that I gave Alcott the chance. My child has had a wonderful experience despite the larger district problems. Yes, field trips and extra activities are a weak area, and working parents have a hard time with the lack of after-school care, but this is a school with real heart and solid performance that makes up for any shortcomings.

Posted June 3, 2009

My daughter is attending Kindegarten at LMA and am very happy with the quality education, involved principal and the best teacher (Ms.Kitchen) My daughter has grown so much while there this year, I am so very greatful for this wonderful school and would recommend it over any private school!

Posted May 26, 2009

I completely agree, totally! I have had my two boys attend LMA and I could not be happier. I had both my son's in another Cleveland Public School, and that school..which I will not name, didn't give NO WHERE near the time, the care and the understanding that LMA has given my boys. LMA gave my son testing that the other school never even mentioned to me that my son was eligible for. I will continue to thank them because my son has improve greatly in the 3yrs. that he has been there. My other son has moved on to high school, but the teachers till this day still check and make sure he is doing well. The principal, Mrs. Staul is heaven sent to these childern. I have never met a more caring principal. She is the best, and that is why her school remains always in my heart.

Posted April 26, 2009

Best Elementary School on Cleveland's West Side. Best teachers, best principal, great education. Very loving and caring atmosphere. Blue Ribbon Award.

Posted November 25, 2008

I have two kids that go to Alcott and Ilove this school and they are the best!

Posted October 17, 2008

I have been with LMC for 3 years. I have 4 girls attending this school. Two of the girls are ADHD with an IEP. I love this school so much I travel from the eastide of cleveland to the westside on the bus so that they can get one of the best education that cleveland public school can offer.

Posted October 4, 2008

My children have achieved an excellent education at LMA. The staff and teachers are wonderful, caring individuals that make a difference in each child's' life.

Posted January 23, 2008

My son has attended LMA for 2 years. He has adjusted very well. The teachers and adminstation are very hands on! They have an excellent PTO organization. I beleive again in the public school system.

Posted August 3, 2007

My granddaughter has been attending LMA since kindergarten. She's entering 4th grade this year. I'm very impressed with how well she has been doing at LMA. Great teachers, great learning environment!

Posted March 29, 2007

This school, Louisa May Alcoot, is a hidden gem in the Cle. school district and should be used across the district as an example of what education should be like. The teachers are outstanding, the principal is great, the staff is nice and there is a true sense a public-private partnership with involvement from parents, a true feeling of community at work together. I wish we would know what to do after 6th grade...

Posted April 3, 2006

I just had my son transferred from Lander Elemantary to Luisa May and I am very happy with the change. At first I was afraid that it would be such a drastic change but to know that the small school enrollment of students would create an environment for my son to learn and meets knew friends made it better. It has only been his first day but I believe he will take well to his new school. The principal was nice and so where other staff members in getting us in w/out hassles. Thank you

Posted March 26, 2006

Alcott is, in my opinion, the best elementary school in the Cleveland Puublic School system. I often found it hard to believe that the school could be so above average considering the history of the school district, but with the guidance of an extremely dedicated staff, this school is a diamond hidden in the rough. My daughter has attended the school since 2nd grade and her learning has increased tremendously. She is above level in all her classes and will be placed in accelerated classes in middle school this fall. Alcott is very adamant about parent involvement and incorporate into their everyday routines. A great school!

Posted November 5, 2005

Alcott uses a reading and a math program that are both outside the norm for the CMSD. They have both proven to be very successful. The teachers and staff are a talented and helpful.

Posted February 19, 2005

My daughter has been in this school since K. I believe she's receiving the best education she can get. The teachers are great. The whole school is like a family atmosphere. I will miss this school when my daughter is out of elementary.

Posted August 6, 2004

I would like for for everyone who is looking for a great school Lousia May Alcott is it. I had six children there for three years. They all did great. Loved the school teachers. Staff and the principal was very understandand worked with the one's who had behavioral problem's. I adopted nine children. The teachers and principal was very supportive and worked with special need's that some of my children had. Education is very inportant and all who work at Lousia May Alcott will do there best to see that you get the help you need. They provided counseling. The school has a good relationship with students and families. My family's big hurt was when the children had to leave because we was told we were out of the district after three years. Well three years later and we still love Louisa May Alcott.

Posted July 17, 2004

I have had the best experience at this school. I have had 3 children here and my youngest is now going into the 4th grade. The teachers and staff are the best and they truly care about the kids. I am going to be very sad when my son moves on to another school. Everyone here will be truly missed. The quality of education is suberb. The parent involvement is also second to none.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Ohio used the Ohio Achievement Assessment (OAA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The OAA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Ohio. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

All Students91%

Economically disadvantaged91%
Disabledn/a
Non-disabled88%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Ohio Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students73%

Economically disadvantaged82%
Disabled73%
Non-disabled92%

Source: Ohio Department of Education

In 2010-2011, this school received an Overall Rating of "Above Expected Growth".

Grade 4MetAbove
Grade 5AboveMet

In 2010-2011, the Ohio Department of Education used the Value-Added Measure to show how much growth students made on the Ohio Achievement Test since the last school year. The state expects that student test scores will show an average year's worth of growth compared to test scores from the previous year. Ohio's Value-Added Measure is not the same as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), a federal measure which uses different criteria.

96 (2011)

97 (2010)

95 (2009)

95 (2008)

120

Ohio uses the Performance Index to provide an overall indication of how well students perform on its standardized tests each year. The Performance Index scores are based upon how well each student does on all tested subjects in grades 3 through 8 and 10. Schools and districts earn anywhere from 1.2 points for each student scoring at the advanced level to zero points for each untested student. The Performance Index ranges between 0 and 120, with 100 as the statewide goal for all students.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Ohio. Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value-added estimates from the state of Ohio.

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%

• Eileen M. Stull Mangan
Fax number
  • (216) 631-3309

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now