Posted June 25, 2014
I have been very happy with Menlo Park Academy. My child is both gifted and has learning disabilities associated with Aspergers. Working with the school we have been able to craft an approach that helped him excel academically and, importantly, develop socially and emotionally as well. In another school he may have been shuttled off into a separate Special Ed classroom and his giftedness ignored. At Menlo Park he is integrated and excelling thanks to all the dedicated staff and teachers. It has been three years, and in that time I have seen tremendous growth and positive development in my child due to the nurturing and high quality school environment at Menlo Park Academy. The facilities are marginal, but what matters is the environment inside - top scores here.

Posted March 02, 2014
We love MPA. Cons: old building, it's too small, too. I have no current complaints about the staff, I'm sad the current director us leaving. The biggest problem I see is the parents. They are all quite demanding of the staff's time and attention, making it harder to focus on the kids. There is also not a fast enough learning pace, but I fear this is due to state laws. Every parent wants their kid accelerated, I do, too. I'm not thrilled that my kids aren't differentiated more. The pros: there is nowhere else where my quirky kids feel loved and accepted. There is nowhere else my kids have true peers. Even when my child was grade skipped in our home district, his asynchronous development was noticeable. At MPA my kids are just like everyone else. At our home district my kids were "problem" kids, and I was getting calls multiple times a week. In the two years at MPA not a single issue requiring my presence at the school. The grade level curriculum is more advanced than same grade curriculum at other schools. A perfect school: more subject acceleration, a bigger building, and employment of a parent-school liaison to deal with the high maintenance parents.

Menlo Park Academy 1

Posted February 07, 2014
THIS school is not being run in a effective manner. The building is old and falling apart. They keep saying the are looking at new building but you can never get an answer as to the plan for that. The director is almost never there and she stinks at communications. The WHOLE School is SO unorganized not to mention there safety is REALLY lacking. Of course the School is going to have high test score all the students are gifted so the ranking does not give you an idea of the school as a whole. They have a HUGE teacher turn over. Don't let the tuition free fool you either you have to pay $500 a year and every other day they are asking for money and if you can't volunteer 45 hours a year they want more money also. I think the worst part is most parents don't even notice the problems with the school they over look it because they are just happy their child is gifted and in a "Gifted School" I can't even tell you what my child's work is like because nothing gets sent home no matter how many times I ask I never get a answer for anything I just get blown off! My daughter will be back next year and we are already looking for another school.

Posted December 22, 2013
This is our first year at MPA and so far it has exceeded our expectations. Each classroom is it's own specialized environment created by its students. There is a very specific curriculum that each grade level follows however creativity and inquisitive personalities are very much encouraged here. Since the students share many of the same interests and traits, a comradery is seen among them. Menlo Park offers an amazing environment for a gifted child to thrive in. The teachers and directors understand their students emotional and academic needs which enables them to succeed at their highest level. Most of the parents are also very involved in volunteering in areas that are needed so the school can continue to thrive for many years to come.

Menlo Park Academy 2

Posted July 08, 2013
My son has attended Menlo for 2 years, starting with kindergarten. His first year was frought with issues, including the aggressive behavior (bullying) by other boys. The school was dismissive of the bullying events, and seemed clueless and completely ill-prepared to deal with the behavioral/social/emotional issues of its students; which by the way are all FAR more present in the "gifted" subset of children. We ended first grade with my "gifted" son not performing at grade level! I believe this was the result of the school doing a fine job with curriculum acceleration, but being incapable of addressing indiviual learning styles that may differ from the "stereotypical" gifted kid. As result, our family is spending our summer trying to catch-up and plan to change schools in the fall. My take on the school is that it is a great "concept" but is lacking some of the fundamentals that are necessary to insure its success. They need better policies and support services to address the unique behavioral and emotional needs of these gifted kids...the teachers are not equipped to handle difficult children on their own, nor should they be expected to.

Menlo Park Academy 3

Posted April 01, 2013
This is a great school concept...great community, curriculum and, for the most part, great teachers. I do, however, have great concerns about the survival of this school as the school board is completely inept and refuses to acknowledge their short comings and utilize their resources....very very reactive, not at all proactive, which is not a good ingredient for a successful long-term run.

Menlo Park Academy 2

Posted November 25, 2012
This school is constantly firing good, hard working teachers. 'The board' votes on which teachers stay. A school cannot run like this!

Posted April 23, 2012
My daughter has attended three different public schools & shadowed at various private schools, & has never found an environment as nurturing, stimulating, & challenging as that provided by this school. At Menlo, she is exposed to: 1). lively classroom discussions that always inspire further inquiry at home, 2). monthly field trips, 3).a multitude of independent research projects, 4). and a Singapore math program that has rigorously prepared her (a 10 yr. old) to perform at an 8th grade level. Despite the academic rigor, she can still manage to gush about one "amazing" and "fun" day after another. Yes, the teachers are that impassioned & inspiring and the curriculum is that creative. There are many strong reasons why this school has such a long waiting list & why so many parents will make the sacrifice & commute 2 hrs./day so that their children can attend. My daughter sees the school now as her extended family. Here, she is not afraid to be a nerd, because every individual talent & eccentricity is celebrated and supported with great sensitivity--from the mildly gifted to the one 1st grader, who in a flash of flying fingers, could easily bust any adult at solving the Rubyk's Cube.

Posted July 17, 2011
Am thrilled with this school for my gifted child and can't wait for the new school year to start. We are all truly lucky to have such a gem in the area. Awesome teachers, great peers for the kids, and NO TUITION! Can't go wrong.

Posted August 11, 2010
We love this school. We currently have two children enrolled here. We have been very pleased with the teacher interaction and challenging work. The school offers extras such as Spanish, Chineese, Violin, Lego Clubs, Young Authors and Science Fair. You can't go wrong here!

Menlo Park Academy
14440 Triskett Rd, Cleveland, OH  44111
Last modified Menlo Park Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Menlo Park Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.