Posted February 25, 2014
Hawthorne is an amazing school! The teachers go above and beyond to meet the needs of every student by differentiating instruction. We work hard to find new strategies and new ways of teaching that are engaging and encourage the students to be active participants in the learning process. Our students discuss, debate, create and add to the learning daily. We are so proud of our students and our school family!

Posted September 04, 2013
Hawthorne came under new leadership for the 2012-2013 and now this year (2013-2014) things are really sailing along in the right direction. Teachers are great, administrative support is enthusiastic, and parental involvement is on the rise. The PTO is rebuilding and able to support more activities and extras at the school. The music teacher has a strings program for the older students. There is an in-building gifted program. Because there are several classrooms of each grade, teachers work together and sometimes co-teach, or divide all the first graders among the first grade teachers for math in groups by ability, as well as other innovative strategies. The school has a classroom garden and composting program, and teacher creativity is rewarded. The school also has beautiful grounds where students sometimes can eat lunch outside or walk along the paths.

Hawthorne Elementary School 1

Posted October 08, 2012
Hawthorne used to be an amazing school. Dr. Klein's leadership was phenomenal and the school prospered. But under Mr. Tombaugh's guidance the school crumbled, the school became a prison. They are currently unable to teach students and instead are handling misbehaving students 24/7

Hawthorne Elementary School 2

Posted November 10, 2011
My kids attended Hawthorne for Kindergarten, and then we lotteried them in to the magnet school program for 1st grade. The teachers at Hawthorne are wonderful, but Hawthorne draws from a low income area and parental involvement isn't very high. It did not feel like a community, it felt very fragmented, with parents acting stand-offish and keeping to themselves. When they do have events, it isn't a place where everyone knows each other. It is very easy for your above-average child to be top of their class, and I'm not sure that gives them adequate motivation. I am really happy that we only did kindergarten there. I have spent a decent amount of time there, and rarely saw the principal (whereas at the magnet school, the principal is very visible and involved).

Posted April 24, 2008
I have only GREAT things to say about Hawthorne. From the Principal (Dr. Kline is just outstanding), to the teachers and staff, everyone is beyond helpful, courtous, kind and truely concerned for your children and their education. I'm more than pleased with the school and the activities that are given, and the facility is always clean. Most importantely, is that my son loves going to school and loves his teachers.

Hawthorne Elementary School 0

Posted March 30, 2008

Posted February 11, 2008
My boy is in 2nd grade at Hawthorne and really seems to enjoy going every day. The principal (Dr. Kline) does an outstanding job as well as the teachers and staff. Great job!

Posted October 04, 2007

Posted April 25, 2007
Our son is in 1st grade at Hawthorne, and we have had a wonderful experience during the last few years. At the beginning of this school year, our son broke his arm, and the genuine concern of everyone from the principal, teachers and staff was wonderful. Also, with the help of the Reading Recovery program, our son is reading with a new confidence, and at the level he should be at--thanks to everyone!

Posted August 06, 2006
my child had a cold last year and whent paralized in his right leg he ended up with mylitis (inflamation of the nerve).everybody was so great. his teacher's and principal came and visted him at the hospital and even gave him get well cards from his classmates,it ment so much I will keep them forever.when he whent back to school everbody took the time to work with us we was so scared about everything i would of never thought a simple cold would turn life upside down.so i would like to thank eveyone from the bottom of my heart for working with him and understanding what he was going through.to me this is the best school thay do care and keep children's safty first.again, to the teacher's,principal,and parent's thank you I can't say it enuogh and to joey's friends and classmates a very speacial thank you for being there for him.

Hawthorne Elementary School
5001 Farview Dr, Columbus, OH  43231
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.